FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$1,500 ... but upgradeable!

Post Date: 2010-02-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
broken View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote broken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $1,500 ... but upgradeable!
    Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 7:19am
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=378957

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA P55M SLI  (Intel P55 Chipset)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 896MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi  Fatality Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: Standard Factory Heat-sink and Fan
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my processor
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

ok here goes.....I config'd this on the fly...I've been out of the "hardware" loop for a few years now.... some of my pals are saying go with the i5 because it's just as fast as the i7 that I've selected above.

I really only have $1,500 to spend ....so as you can see I need to trim some fat :(

I know thats the case and PSU I want...but if you guys have any suggestions ....mainly the best upgradeable mobo so if someone tells me to get the i5 that later down the road I can slap an i7 in it I can.

I've always been a fan of soundcards......but everyone is saying onboard audio is better....opinion?

also....thanks for any reply in advance and tell your guys to "tweet" more....they kinda stopped Ouch

thanks ... broken
sjjohns23 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sjjohns23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 7:35am
You already have the i5 chip in your configuration.  There is no lower chipset to go to in order to save cash on that front. 

Reply to this thread with your monitor's resolution and that will allow us to know what kind of video card setup you'll eventually want to have.  IE what kind of power supply you'll probably want down the road.  In general 750 watts is enough for the majority of users but you never can tell.

If you're an audiophile then the sound card is a must have.  If not I'd go with onboard sound as it has improved dramatically over the years. 

Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 8:55am
I was under the impression that the i5 and i7 are on different chipset and sockets and where not interchangeable, at least with the current i7 chips. Doing a quick interweb scan tells me that there are apparently plans to come out with i7 chips which run on the same motherboard socket as the i5 chips (LGA1156), but I don't have any information on those or any kind of time frame.

The same source also says that the i9 coming out in The World of Tomorrow~ are anticipated to debut on the same socket as current i7 chips (LGA1366), with no LGA1156 socket variants.

So it sounds like down the road you will indeed be able to slap an i7 in there for an upgrade, but that will be the end of the road and you will not be able to use an i9 without a motherboard swap as well. On one hand I want to say this is a tragic waste of money to buy a $200 i5 now just to pay another $288 for an i7 down the road, but if you absolutely have to shave off a few hundred dollars from the price then you gotta do what you gotta do.

However you may wish to consider the Special Deals page, there is a $1,671 i7 computer that sacrifices a few things here and there (smaller HAF case, 3GB ram, smaller motherboard, 750w power supply) but it still definitely somewhat upgradeable. I don't know if it can do SLI or Crossfire (I'm guessing not) you'd be alright with powerful single cards as long as they're not too power hungry and you could also slap in another 3GB of ram and an i9 down the road.

Or if you could just wait a bit to save up a couple hundred more dollars you could get a custom computer with much the same configuration except air cooling (Nochua cooler), the bigger and better HAF932 case, better motherboard which supports SLI and Crossfire (EVGA X58 Micro), and Windows 7 Professional (upgrade from Home Premium) for a total of just $1,852. You could also drop down to Home Premium and drop the internal lighting to also upgrade to a 1000w power supply for an extra $92 ($1944).
Raif View Drop Down

Quote Raif Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 2:18pm
ok i already know your budget 1500....

whats your resolution?

what is the use of this computer? if gaming what games do you play and what games do you want to play?

cpu: you do not want the i5 it runs off of a x55 platform which is obsolete adn the i5 is fastest you can run on it. the i7 runs off a x58 platform which is current gen and has room to grow gulftown the new cpu which comes out in june will also use that platform.

motherboard: if you can squeeze a evga le in your budget it is better board. you can run 2x sli and a another pci-e card like a soundcard, or vid eding card if you so choose. evga has a much better warranty (you can fry a board putting it in and they will give you a new one as logn as u registered it no questions asked), evga has a upgrade program, and they have better products.

ram: go with muskin it is the ram that comes standard although they don't list the name till silverline. it is hand tested by both mushkin and ds, and comes with a lifetime warranty so if by chance it does go your covered. the corsair ram is very temperamental and will go on you eventually, so it is not worth the extra money and you wont notice the difference. if you can squeeze 6gb you will be better off or you can just buy a 2gb dim later and install it your self it is very simple.

psu: perfect could not have choose better

hdd: good starting choice! when you upgrade add a 120+ gb ssd and push the 500gb to hdd2 and use the ssd as your os. the speed is multiples and it allows for much better multitasking faster load times ect.

gpu (vid card): with out your resolution we can't be accurate with this and we can majorly undershoot or give you massive overkill. so let us know what you plan to use so we can give you the best bang for your buck. nvidia is better for 3d mainly animation and such right now they run off of dx 10 and are out of date. although choosing one of these and upgrade later is still a solid move. by doing this your wasting a little bit of money but it may allow you to get something that is out of your reach now that may give you better overall performance. the ati cards are current gen (5xxx series) they run dx11 but do not have dedicated physx.

sound card: the x-fi cards have driver problems but this area is not my forte i can't recommend one for you. if you on a budget i recommend you do this when you upgrade. the motherboard i chose has 8 channel sound (7.1) so you will be fine for now. lets focus on performace

extreme cooling: use noctua if you can afford it it is the best one for air. if not the cooler master v8. this keeps your system cool for overclocking.

processor boost: absolutely necessary it is a cheap way to max the performance of your pc. for a extra what $45 i think or free with promotion you get a minimum power increase of a i7 975( i think around another $1000 extra for this chip). the range is 3.3ghz to 3.9ghz and you will gain a definate advantage in speed. not bad for 45 bucks :). you will need stage 1 air cooling though. a non overclocked cpu will last on avg 10 yrs before it dies. a oc pcu last on avg 8 years. so no worries. also oc voids intel warranty BUT don't worry ds covers it in their warranty so you have nothing to worry about.

os: if you need xp support pro is the choice if not then go with home basic

@dragoonseal

if he chose the micro he would have space for 1 gpu and the soundcard, or just 2x gpu there is no more room to upgrade period. the evga LE gives 2x sli plus add on pci-e card. much better bang for the buck for $30 it is worth it.

750 watt psu can run most cards 2x but not all so he can shoot him self int he foot like that. which is why we most usually recommend the 1000 watt. the larger more powerful cards will eat it up like candy ie 295 and 5870/5970 and you would not be able to run a second. again resolution is needed we know what cards we are choosing so we don't over or undershoot the psu.
2.5 Ghz Core duo
Nvidia 9500 gt
3 gb 1033 Mhz ram

if we can't answer a question shoot a e-mail here.

[email protected]
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 2:50pm
just to clear up a few things Dragoonseal said.

the i5 platform p55 mobo, is not upgradable.

the x58 i7 platforum (920, 960, 975) run off of socket 1366 which the new 6 core gulftown coming out will be compatible with.

so in short you can uprade the x58 to 6 core cpu and you can't do that with the i5.

this is something big to keep in mind, since in a couple of years you can spend a little money and upgrade your cpu to a 6 core if you go with the x58 platform, you can't do that with an i5.

now looking at your build you posted the cost for that is showing as $1905, if that is correct you can get a much faster/better i7 build for that price.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Raif

@dragoonseal

if he chose the micro he would have space for 1 gpu and the soundcard, or just 2x gpu there is no more room to upgrade period. the evga LE gives 2x sli plus add on pci-e card. much better bang for the buck for $30 it is worth it.

Oooh good call, I did not realize the LE had another PCI lane. I was wondering what the difference between the LE and Micro boards was. Definitely worth the $30.

Originally posted by Raif

750 watt psu can run most cards 2x but not all so he can shoot him self int he foot like that. which is why we most usually recommend the 1000 watt. the larger more powerful cards will eat it up like candy ie 295 and 5870/5970 and you would not be able to run a second. again resolution is needed we know what cards we are choosing so we don't over or undershoot the psu.

I most definitely recommend a 1000w, but he is on such an extreme budget there wasn't really any getting around it to be able to squeeze him into an i7 rig instead of an i5 rig.

I probably didn't emphasize it enough before, but I would really suggest he take the time to save up a few hundred more deniro to get a minimum of the HAF932, LE motherboard, i7 920 (with free overclock 3.3 - 3.9ghz), and a 1000w power supply. You'll be rock solid for years with that, and can add to or upgrade things freely with little restrictions, dinero allowing. Later you can slap in more ram, slap in an SSD, slap in a sound card, swap out to an i9, slap in big monster SLI or Crossfire video card setups, etc etc.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:10pm
guys the LE gives you 1 x 16x pci lanes, the micro gives 2 x 16x pci lanes.

the psu should be matched to the gpu, so if you have a 5870, then you want a 1000w so you can do dual/tri cf/sli, if you have a 5850 then you can use a 750w for dual cf/sli.

also remember for psu its always corsair here.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Feb 2010 at 3:11pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:21pm
According to EVGA's site the Micro has 2x PCIe x4/x8/x16 slots, 1x PCIe x1 slot, and 1x PCI slot, supporting up to 2-way SLI or Crossfire.

The LE has 4x PCIe x4/x8/x16 slots, 1x PCIe x1 slot, and 1x PCI slot, supporting up to 3-way SLI or Crossfire.

Am I missing something? I'm looking at the wrong brand maybe?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 3:55pm
no that is what I said,

micro has 2 x 16x lane that can be run at 16x, 8x or 4x.

then it has one slot of just pci-e and one slot of pci.

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 4:20pm
Yes but what about the LE board? You said it has 1 x 16x pci lane, but the EVGA site says it has more, unless I'm reading it wrong?

It says 4 x PCIe x4/x8/x16. Do they all run at x16, or is that being kind of misleading and some run at x8 or less?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 5:27pm
with the le when you use the first 16x pci lanes, the other lanes bandwidth drops.
broken View Drop Down

Quote broken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 8:57pm
WOW!!!!!!!

you guys are AWESOME!

thanks for all the fast replies....

well.. I've always gamed at 1024X768...I'm still using an AGP card, but I can play MW2 and get 60 fps all day....

I have a 21inch NEC monitor that I'll use till it dies, but would like to game at a higher resolution

Raif....I'm getting ready for BFBC2, but would also like to play games with ease that come out in December ... if you know what I mean.

I know I want the 932 case and 1000 watt Corsair...I'd like to go with Nvidia graphics...and keep the Creative Soundcard....my max is $1,500 I can spend.....
and from the sounds of it i7 for sure...

is this price range possible? .....DST4ME said ".....now looking at your build you posted the cost for that is showing as $1905, if that is correct you can get a much faster/better i7 build for that price." weeeeeeee

thanks pals!!!!

Edited by broken - 01 Feb 2010 at 9:04pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 9:50pm
I love nvidia, but keep in mind that right now, ati is on top and for your money ati is the way to go.

the current nvidia cards don't supprt dx11 and won't do as well as ati cards in dx10, just fyi.

now I'm a bit confused,

1. are you aware that the rig you posted costs $1905?

2. if yes to the above question then do you want me to config an i7 for you for that price range?

3. are you saying you gonna be gaming at 1200 x 1000? is o then you don't need a 275.
broken View Drop Down

Quote broken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 10:23pm

1)  yeah I need to trim some fat LOL ... can go as high as $1,500

2) can you do an i7 in that price range?

3) would like to play the max settings I can with my new DS!

things I know I want

932 case.....just love the look of it.
the best ATI card for my price
Intel i7   ....cause you guys talked me into "futureproofing"
Corsair 1000 watt
4 gigs of ram
Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)

if I reeeeealy don't need the sound card.....then I guess I can leave it out

BTW

thanks again!

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 10:32pm
the 920 goes by 3GB or 6GB.

for your price range you can't have all you want.

this is the best I can do:

Here you go Ticket# 379858 --- Price: $1559 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $1559

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master Elite 310
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Micro Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 3GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master V8 High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

as you can see with all that cutting still its over.

but what you can do is spend a little down the road and make it more powerful, first add 3 more GB of ram, then if you need more gpu power, add a second 5770 for cf.

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Feb 2010 at 10:33pm
broken View Drop Down

Quote broken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 10:39pm
thanks DST4ME.....

saving this....get my "play money" aka taxes back in 2 weeks...

then I'll be calling to place order!

thanks so much!Big%20smile

do you guys use UPS or Fed-Ex?

just wondering

Edited by broken - 01 Feb 2010 at 10:40pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 10:45pm
My pleasure

I'm a customer like you, they use both I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply