Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Anthias View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anthias Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 10k Gaming Rig
    Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:11am
Budget:
$10000, not including accesories. The specs below are worth about 7k, and that's because I'm unsure about a few things and left them blank or chose a random option.

Expectations:
I want the best that money can buy, but I want it to be efficient as well. I'm afraid of getting bottlenecked by my RAM or HDD, but I don't want to pay for a RAM that I'll only use %20 of. I am also unsure when it comes some stuff like the 3D gaming monitors, and SSD's. I don't really know whether they are worth it.

Usage:
%90 gaming. All kinds of games, FPS, sports, MMO's...
%10 Blu-ray film watching.

Special Needs:
Environment is basically your usual college dorm. Not too dusty, but still. I have a large library of movies and songs. Noise is not much of a problem. I prefer the highest overclock possible, but I have no idea how to handle the heat and power consumption problems of an overclocked 980X 4-SLI system.

Saved Ticket #: 471527

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Requires Lian Li PC-P80B or HAF X Chassis)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX Extreme Edition (CMT6GX3M3A2000C8)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition) Internal
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Hitachi/Seagate (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 4x SLI 4-Way (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Quad SLI/CrossFire Video Cards & Chipset
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 3: Overclock the processor between 4.2GHz to 4.6GHz (Requires i7 980X Processor)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: Call of Duty Black Ops (Pre-Install, apply updates, and test gameplay with my system)
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:21am
so you gonna be doing 3d gaming also? gpu configuration is different for 3d or no 3d.

tell me your res, that you gonna be gaming at also, I hope its a 30" monitor.

I will show you one that is all spend toward performance and I will show another build with the extra bells and whistles , then you tell me what you think, that way you can see what is efficient and what is not.

don't worry about the heat of a 4 x sli system cause you are not getting that, tri sli has better scaling the quad sli. but if it came down to it, I have 4 x 480 gtx in my system, there are many ways to easily deal with the heat.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2010 at 1:23am
WardTheSteak View Drop Down

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:29am
Drivers aren't best for 4x sli scaling so it won't scale as good as 3x cards.  If you are going to drop that much money on a rig check this out, the new cooling by digital storm will keep your cpu extra cool.  It uses TEC technology, and your load temps will be somewhere around 35 degrees celcius I believe with probably a 4.6 ghz OC.  Also the auzen sound card is much more high quality.  Here's the all out config I would go with, for 3D surround gaming: 471536 or here is an ATI version which you save a bit of money on considering the 580 premium right now, and then you could invest in eyefinity monitors for ultra resolutions:  471537. Also another out of this world build with horizontal mobo cooling, also it has two cpu's!  Talk about power!: 471541
Here is the all you really need build with some options: 471542 again you can move down to the 6970 cards which are really great.  But this all depends on your monitor choice if you are going to get a 2560x1200 res monitor I would just go dual sli or dual crossfire, however if you are going to go with 3D surround or Eyefinity I would have to recommend tri sli or trifire.  

Edited by WardTheSteak - 22 Dec 2010 at 1:30am
Anthias View Drop Down

Quote Anthias Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:29am
The problem is deciding whether the 3D is worth the smaller display. If not then a 2560x1600 30" monitor for sure.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:30am
Yes, but you could be doing 3D on 3 smaller displays with ultra resolutions, but if you want a single monitor setup, then I might say meh and just go with a high res monitor.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:34am
wow thats a monster budget.
First of all you need the haf x or lian li case for that motherboard.
Seriously a floppy disk drive?
I'd go up the the 160gb ssd so you can store even more data on it. ssd's are extremely sped up hdd's so you put the os and whatever else you want on them. They speed up boot to around 15 seconds. When games load maps and stuff a ssd speeds that up. When you save and open large files it also speeds that up. So the more you can store on it the better.
With the blu ray player make sure your monitor is hdcp certified.
Thats it for your build.

3D gaming monitors are a waste of money for the fact that not all games support it and the glasses are a pain but they are also pretty cool and are having more support lately. 6gb ram will be fine for you.
Oh and for a quad sli rig you need a 1500w psu
i also belive you will need a seprate drive to read cd's

If you really want a kick ass rig you can get one of the below 0 rigs that are new by ds
So heres a 9.8k gaming rig: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=471545
Its not exactly neccisairy for anything more than 5k but if you want 10k here it is.
Steam:pcmaster160
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:35am
well listen, with a 10k pc I thought the monitor would have the proper match.

but what do you think about this, maybe the price of the pc is lower and you can put that toward the monitor if you like or you can save teh money:

Ticket Number: 471549$6291

@maxyme, I don't think they have officially released the tec yet, once they do it will be on the config page, unless I missed it.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2010 at 1:37am

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:37am
Lol, this guy has a monster budget DST4ME he said this 10k isn't even going towards accessories :p
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:38am
Oh lol well I got a hell of LCed tri sli base for him to start anyways

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:39am
Haha I like the syndicate build Big%20Smile.  Always wanted to hear how people like the dual cpu's with the SR-2.
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 3:40am
For gaming dual CPUs are useless, though rendering, video editing/encoding, etc. they are great, wish I could afford them lol.

TEC is officially released, it is under the BlackOPS section below the top two configurations.

I wonder when we stopped selling 1866MHz RAM...  That is kind of annoying.

Here's my recommendation: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=471581

Here's my crazy recommendation: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=471582

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 4:19am
Haha yes I know they are, but he wouldn't have to worry about cpu bottlenecking with anything now would he? :p Wow, I didn't know the new TEC cooling was out for the mountain mods case, this is a really good recommendation Anthias this case is just a monster Big%20Smile

Edited by WardTheSteak - 22 Dec 2010 at 4:21am
Anthias View Drop Down

Quote Anthias Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 5:13am
You guys are awesome!

I have a few questions:

1-) How much of a performance difference would a 6GB 1600Mhz RAM would make compared to a 2000Mhz one? Wouldn't 6GB bottleneck my system?

2-) Why triple Crossfire 6790 instead of 3-way SLI GTX580? Is it because of the price, or something about the performance?

3-) Why Auzen instead of Creative? Is there a difference in the quality of sound? Is that why Auzen is priced more?

4-) Is there a way to ensure that I won't receive a rig with heat or power issues if I make a mistake?

5-) Would lights, tube colors matter in the Syndicate Chassis? Are there any photos I can look at?

6-) How long until the holiday sales end?

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 6:25am
1.)  6GB isn't going to cause a bottleneck you are hardly going to use that much in any game, 1600Mhz is fine only reason you would want to go higher is if you yourself were doing overclocking for records. 

2.)  We suggested both, but personally I would go with the 6970's because of the price/performance ratio.  Also, depending on your monitor setup if you wanted ridiculous resolutions like when gaming on something like this: http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-md230x3-23-lcd-monitor-8-ms-1920-x-1080-16-7-million-colors/q/loc/101/215379738.html  or this  http://www.buy.com/prod/samsung-md230x6-23-lcd-monitor-8-ms-1920-x-1080-3000-1-dvi-vga/q/loc/101/215379741.html  then there is reasons to believe that the 6970's might pull ahead in performance at these high resolutions, also I don't believe Nvidia can power the 6 monitor setup "Not that I believe you would be purchasing it :p". The first monitor would be posting at a 5760x1080 resolution, while the other a whopping 11520x1080 haha talk about an epeen Strong.  But yeah the ATI cards offer great multiple monitor support with Eyefinity technology which is what ATI has been focusing on with these newer cards.  Tbh I am thinking about buying the first monitor setup somewhere down the road. 

Note:  A three monitor setup could be quite a bit cheaper, but it seems like this setup has some of the thinnest bezels I've seen, along with the fact that it's got an easy setup so you don't have to worry about how you're gonna put em' together.  If you are interested in eyefinity check out these videos.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlmtjwIyMzY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yEhxGpoKLc&feature=related

3.)  After reading reviews it has been determined that the Auzen is a better card in regards to sound quality, so I think it would be a better choice for media and game sounds. 

4.)  Lol, with the syndicate build that Venom posted for you it has the new digital storm cooling which will have your CPU at 0 degrees celcius when the computer is at idle and I believe somewhere around 35 degrees when it is at full load, all at around a 4.6 ghz overclock Excited!

5.)  No, lights and tube colors do not matter and I'm sure you could ask DS for some different colors I believe, I would go with an orange :p but that's just me.  Idk, about photos, besides one's outside of the site. 

6.)  Looks like there is 3 days and 20 hours left!

Edited by WardTheSteak - 22 Dec 2010 at 6:50am

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 6:54am
Lolz, this guy did an Eyefinity setup on 3 46" screens.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udD8BwiQAsQ&feature=related

If you look at this video he is doing this all off of one AMD 6870.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-WEtJx_-rk&feature=channel

Edited by WardTheSteak - 22 Dec 2010 at 6:59am
Anthias View Drop Down

Quote Anthias Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 7:26am
I will need to ship this PC with me a few times (from San Fran to Istanbul and back) throughout my college years, I think I will stick with a single large monitor (or I have a 1080p TV? Maybe that's better?). You say that ATI has focused on multi-displays of late. What about a single display comparision between triple 6970's and 3 SLI GTX580's? I did not see a review for that. The price difference is about 500 bucks. How about performance?

By the way, how about power? Can 1200W handle this setup?

When I asked "will the tubes and lighting matter" I mean will I be able to, y'know, see them from outside. I don't want to decorate inside a closed box.

Shame that I can't get this rig about a grand cheaper. I'll be back to the US only after the 2nd of January

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 8:07am
So you mean you want a build at a grand cheaper, that could be done with a different yet still great cooling system.  Also, for 2560x1600 res the Nvidia cards will win.  Also, a monitor will be better than hdtv especially if you will get a higher res monitor.  The thing is though like we said the 6970's are in fact much cheaper and will get you close to the same performance.  1200w will handle it, but with the tec setup it comes with another power supply as well.  Also, yes of course you will be able to see it, that is why I picked a color preference lol. Also, wow what are you doing over in Istanbul?

Edited by WardTheSteak - 22 Dec 2010 at 8:09am
Anthias View Drop Down

Quote Anthias Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 9:19am
Okay, so far I have this: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=471646

I guess that's it. Do you see any problems with it?
What kind of res is best for such high end rigs nowadays? Can you guys suggest a single laptop? Anything below a grand is game.

Quote WardTheSteak Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 9:24am
Umm I'm not sure of the model number but the laptop I just advised my girlfriend to get is around $800.  It's an asus laptop, I would head to their site they offer some of the best laptops.  Also, two tweaks that I made, don't get the upgrade to the zalman fans in this case DS will have the fans the way they need to be as this is a special setup, and the zalman fans are a waste on any setup anyways.  And, make sure you click free when the option is there lol, FREE: GPU OC.  Although, I would just suggest to keep the gpu's at stock, and then you can post on the forums and get help overclocking it.  Because, DS only does a minor overclock on their GPU's.  Other then that, you have an amazing rig man!

Edit:  Forgot to suggest a monitor Big%20Smile.  Just look for a good monitor that is 2560x1600.  That is basically the max res you are gonna get, I would probably advise the Dell Ultrasharp I guess in that situation.  Don't worry about Response time, Contrast Ratio, all that bull crap on monitors or even televisions for that matter.  Because, the industry just takes the real numbers and blows them out of proportion to show crazy outrageous numbers that aren't close to true. 
Big%20Smile

Edited by WardTheSteak - 22 Dec 2010 at 9:26am
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:02am
My ASUS laptop started causing me problems about the time I received my new DS desktop. I mostly use it while watching TV. I often log onto my work PC to see what's going on and sometimes play some game. So I'm reluctantly in the market for a new laptop. I want something cheap. I'm interested in this one. ASUS Laptop
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:28am
with the build you linked i would go up to a 1500w psu because it will last longer. You can upgrade to the 4 year warenty for free right now. Other than that your build looks great.
Oh and ditch the zalman fans.

For monitors get anything at 2560x1600 max resolution and lower than 10ms response. Everything else doesn't matter.

Edited by maxyme - 22 Dec 2010 at 11:33am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Anthias

Okay, so far I have this: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=471646

I guess that's it. Do you see any problems with it?
What kind of res is best for such high end rigs nowadays? Can you guys suggest a single laptop? Anything below a grand is game.

ok looks good but don't oc the gpus you will not see a difference, the oc DS does on the gpu is mild anyways.

if you are still going with one monitor of 1080p, then understand that tri sli setup is not being efficient but if that is what you like then more power to you, but if you get a 30" monitor then the tri sli would be of use.

you won't notice the difference between tri sli 570 and 580, save some money and go with tri 570 or tri 6970.

you need to go with higher speed ram to get better oc, since you have picked stage 3 oc on cpu.

understand that upgraded fans are loud.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2010 at 11:52am
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 11:53am
don't you mean lower speed ram since high ram speeds and high oc are hard to stablize?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:01pm
NO I mean faster speed cause you have to set the bclock, the higher the ram speed the more room you get to push. unless I'm mistaken his last build had 1600MHz, you want 1866 or higher for stage 3 oc.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2010 at 12:02pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:04pm
Oh really? didn't know that. yea it was 1600mhz because 1866 isn't there anymore...
I'll check that out.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

NO I mean faster speed cause you have to set the bclock, the higher the ram speed the more room you get to push. unless I'm mistaken his last build had 1600MHz, you want 1866 or higher for stage 3 oc.
not on a 10K build. B clock is not in the picture.
The 980x has poor bandwidth, so with a quad just go 1600Mhz on the RAM and keep timings decent, on 6 core 2000Mhz RAM is what I would suggest.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:11pm
He has a 980x, what does the price have to do with bclock? if you have a stage 3 oc, what settings are you using to get to 4.6 with 1600MHz ram?

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2010 at 12:12pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:24pm
I know he has the 980x, lol that is why I said what I said.  and with the 980x you can do 10Ghz with 1600Mhz RAM

Edited by justin.kerr - 22 Dec 2010 at 12:26pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:26pm
what bclock are you using?

you know better then I do that with a good higher speed ram its easier and more table then pushing 4.6 with 1600MHz.

do you use 1600MHz on yours or higher speed ram?

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2010 at 12:26pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:28pm
I just posted above what I use for RAM, based on which CPU.
High RAM makes the overclock harder to do rather than easier.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:33pm
ha! i was right!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 12:46pm
No you are not, justin are you recommending 1600MHz ram for 4.6OC? I want this official, I know 2000MHz ram can make it harder but 1866 is better for 4.6 then 1600MHz.

and I was asking for oc setting of blcok and all not the ram speed you would use.

also why are you bothering with 2100MHz ram yourself?

10K rig and you advise 1600MHz ram? I'm a bit surprised.

980x you can do 10Ghz with 1600Mhz RAM
show me

is that like your 64aa comment in game settings?

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2010 at 1:01pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:16pm
I posted my recommendations, then after you questioned, I pointed it out to you again, so for the 3rd time, look up a few posts, where I laid out my recommendations for RAM speed, pending what CPU is being used.

settings for 980x  @10Ghz and 1600Mhz RAM   here you go.

Edited by justin.kerr - 22 Dec 2010 at 1:18pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:27pm
ok now show it to me stable. let me see some tests.

wouldn't the multiplier be lower with a higher speed ram?

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Dec 2010 at 1:30pm
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2010 at 1:30pm
lol ur so demanding i won get over it! jk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>