FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$1600 Budget - ODE 1 or custom?

Post Date: 2012-02-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spindrift View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spindrift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $1600 Budget - ODE 1 or custom?
    Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 8:38pm
This will be my first gaming PC - so I am very excited to be taking a closer look at DS!

- Is the ODE 1 the best bang for my buck or should I be customizing?

Budget: $1600-1700
Uses: 70% gaming - 30% other tasks (excluding video editing).
Storage: Is the 500gb HD advertised with the ODE 1 enough?
Games:  The latest, although I do not expect ultra setting at this budget, I want the games to look good and respond well.
Peripherals: Do not need any
Monitor:  Do not need one
Video card:  If I were to wait for the release of nvidia's 6 or 7 series, should I expect prohibitive prices or might they be within my budget?
RAM: Is 8GBs of RAM enough?  Is the jump to 16 or greater encouraged or even necessary?
Sound: How big of a deal is 'integrated sound', is the upgrade to a dedicated card that important, does it affect performance?

Any advice (including recommended builds) would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks experts! :)

Edited by spindrift - 28 Feb 2012 at 8:44pm
crawlins View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote crawlins Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 9:47pm
Welcome spindrift!

The ODE is the best bang for your buck. As long as you like the look of the setup it is the one to go with. The only thing to consider with it is future upgrading. You will be able to upgrade a bit, but there are SOME limitations I have heard about future upgrading.

But if you purchase the ODE 1 you will be able to enjoy any game and near max settings I would THINK...but I will let others with more knowledge chime in so I don't lead you wrong. :)
Tøxie View Drop Down

Quote Tøxie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 5:10am
The new GPU's from Nvidia will most likely be in the same price range as the latest AMD 7900 series, guessing of course.

8GB of RAM is plenty for most people, unless you plan on doing video rendering or F@H. So I would say for the average gamer/user, 8 GB is plenty.

The integrated sound on most MoBo's these days is fine and the money you would spend on upgrading the sound card, could be spent upgrading something else, IMHO.

Edited by Tøxie - 29 Feb 2012 at 5:26am
sdwas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdwas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:42am
If your current system uses significantly less than 500 GB, then the ODE1 drive should be fine. You can always upgrade it in the future or add a second hard drive once the prices drop. I also believe you can double the memory on the ODE1 to 16 GB if needed, there should be 2 extra RAM slots.
ODE Level 0
Intel Core i5 2500K CPU
8GB 1600MHz Memory
NVIDIA GTX 750 TI (originally GTX 560)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 9:47am
Hi spindrift.  Like crawling and sdwas said, the ODE 1 for your budget is tough to beat.  And like Toxie advised, 8GB ram is all you need for gaming.
You didn't mention monitor size or resolution so this assumes a 23" monitor or less and 1920x1080 resolution or less for good gaming on high settings.  Ultra it couldn'd do without sli.

You asked to see a custom config comparable to ODE 1

Config..660941   Cost $ 1798

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LE (Intel Z68 Chipset) (New B3 Revision) (Does Not Support SLI)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) (EVGA 012-P3-1571-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

This gives you a better psu, the 750HX .... Better case , the HafX case ....   Better cpu cooler , the D14.  But the cost is more.

To be able to sli in the future, you'd need to spend another $200 for different mobo and psu.

The integrated sound sounds great. 

ODE 1 is tough to beat for $1600 or so. 

Just something to compare.    Good LuckBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 29 Feb 2012 at 9:54am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:09am
I can't add much to the information you've already been provided with, but I think bprat22's post really hits the nail on the head. If you want to really stick to your budget, the ODE 1 is definitely the best choice. If you're willing to stretch upwards a bit (remembering the 65$ shipping) then his build is the better build hardware wise at the end of the day. Either way, you'll end up with a good system. Awesome
spindrift View Drop Down

Quote spindrift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by crawlins

Welcome spindrift!

The ODE is the best bang for your buck. As long as you like the look of the setup it is the one to go with. The only thing to consider with it is future upgrading. You will be able to upgrade a bit, but there are SOME limitations I have heard about future upgrading.

But if you purchase the ODE 1 you will be able to enjoy any game and near max settings I would THINK...but I will let others with more knowledge chime in so I don't lead you wrong. :)

crawlins!

Thank you for the advice, the setup of the ODE 1 looks good for the budget, after reading all of the comments, the only concern is the size of the HD, but nothing I can not remedy myself later - when the prices of 1TB+ come down a bit more, the same can be said for the RAM. 

Thanks again!
spindrift View Drop Down

Quote spindrift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Tøxie

The new GPU's from Nvidia will most likely be in the same price range as the latest AMD 7900 series, guessing of course.

8GB of RAM is plenty for most people, unless you plan on doing video rendering or F@H. So I would say for the average gamer/user, 8 GB is plenty.

The integrated sound on most MoBo's these days is fine and the money you would spend on upgrading the sound card, could be spent upgrading something else, IMHO.

Toxie!

Thank you for the insight on the new cards and the MoBo!

Edited by spindrift - 29 Feb 2012 at 5:14pm
spindrift View Drop Down

Quote spindrift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by sdwas

If your current system uses significantly less than 500 GB, then the ODE1 drive should be fine. You can always upgrade it in the future or add a second hard drive once the prices drop. I also believe you can double the memory on the ODE1 to 16 GB if needed, there should be 2 extra RAM slots.
sdwas!

Good point!  I am a bit concerned about the HD size.  I currently have a 500GB drive and it is a little over half full;  it would be nearly full, but I monitor my space often to keep things clean and tidy. However, just as you suggested - adding an HD later when prices drop is probable - only wish the setup included a 1TB HD :/  but, I undertand why $$$.  I will likely add to the RAM as well -fairly quickly, I would feel a bit more comfortable with 16.

Thanks!
spindrift View Drop Down

Quote spindrift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi spindrift.  Like crawling and sdwas said, the ODE 1 for your budget is tough to beat.  And like Toxie advised, 8GB ram is all you need for gaming.
You didn't mention monitor size or resolution so this assumes a 23" monitor or less and 1920x1080 resolution or less for good gaming on high settings.  Ultra it couldn'd do without sli.

You asked to see a custom config comparable to ODE 1

Config..660941   Cost $ 1798

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LE (Intel Z68 Chipset) (New B3 Revision) (Does Not Support SLI)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) (EVGA 012-P3-1571-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

This gives you a better psu, the 750HX .... Better case , the HafX case ....   Better cpu cooler , the D14.  But the cost is more.

To be able to sli in the future, you'd need to spend another $200 for different mobo and psu.

The integrated sound sounds great. 

ODE 1 is tough to beat for $1600 or so. 

Just something to compare.    Good LuckBig%20Smile

bprat22!

Thanks for taking the time to post that build!  Looks great, happy to see a competing build to the ODE 1.  I have to be stingy with the budget though, because I need to add peripherals and a decent monitor while attempting to stay under 2K.  Thanks for the post, it really helped!
spindrift View Drop Down

Quote spindrift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

I can't add much to the information you've already been provided with, but I think bprat22's post really hits the nail on the head. If you want to really stick to your budget, the ODE 1 is definitely the best choice. If you're willing to stretch upwards a bit (remembering the 65$ shipping) then his build is the better build hardware wise at the end of the day. Either way, you'll end up with a good system. Awesome

Tidgxor!

Awesome, thanks for adding that.  I wish I could stretch for those extras, but we all have to draw the line somewhere -sticking to the $1500-1600 budget is necessary.  But, I am very excited to be considering a new system that comes so highly recommended!
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by spindrift

Tidgxor!

Awesome, thanks for adding that.  I wish I could stretch for those extras, but we all have to draw the line somewhere -sticking to the $1500-1600 budget is necessary.  But, I am very excited to be considering a new system that comes so highly recommended!

Brother! (My apologies, if you have never played the Metal Gear Solid series I will seem like a massive weirdo, but I couldn't resist Big%20Smile)

I definitely understand, at the end of the day the budget (or sometimes the significant other Ninja) has the final say. The ODE lineup is great, you'll find lots of satisfied ODE 0 (RIP), 1, 2, 3, and 4 owners around the forum, so just imagine how many there are who don't have accounts. Big%20Smile If you decide to go with ODE 1 you'll be pleased, its a really good balance for your budget. The only stipulation is if you buy it you have to post pictures, its actually in the terms of your warranty (Ok, so I lie, but we love pictures, ODEs included Hahaha). Any ideas on monitors yet?

Edited by Tidgxor - 29 Feb 2012 at 6:37pm
spindrift View Drop Down

Quote spindrift Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Originally posted by spindrift

Tidgxor!

Brother! (My apologies, if you have never played the Metal Gear Solid series I will seem like a massive weirdo, but I couldn't resist Big%20Smile)

I definitely understand, at the end of the day the budget (or sometimes the significant other Ninja) has the final say. The ODE lineup is great, you'll find lots of satisfied ODE 0 (RIP), 1, 2, 3, and 4 owners around the forum, so just imagine how many there are who don't have accounts. Big%20Smile If you decide to go with ODE 1 you'll be pleased, its a really good balance for your budget. The only stipulation is if you buy it you have to post pictures, its actually in the terms of your warranty (Ok, so I lie, but we love pictures, ODEs included Hahaha). Any ideas on monitors yet?

Tidgxor!

Interesting warranty!Big%20Smile  As far as monitors, I originally thought about a 27" but I simply won't have the horsepower to run higher rez with high game settings.  I suppose a decent 24".  Any suggestions? In fact, I am about to start another thread about monitor suggestions.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 7:16pm
For your price range I 100% recommend the Dell UltraSharp U2412M
 Post Reply Post Reply