Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GreenBean View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $1700 or so PC for RTSs
    Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 2:31am
Hello DS,

Looking for something close to the price range listed(give or take a few hundred) above that will allow me to play games such as DOTA 2, Total war: Shogun 2, and SC 2 in max to near max settings. I will be playing on a 24" monitor with 1080p settings. also other uses will be basic internet surfing, videos, micorsoft xcel, word, blu-ray playing, and other general uses. Also will need a good modem as this will  not be a direct connect computer but rather off my WI-FI.  Mouse and keyboard are already here. thats about it.
 1 final thing, i would like it to be as compact as reasonably  possible, space saving is an issue. thanks for your help.
mike

im currently playing on a 5 year old p.o.s. laptop that cant run any of these without freezing! please help
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 7:38am
Hi GreenBean...   For a small yet very powerful gaming rig, check out the Bolt level 3 a little above your budget.   The gtx 780 will give high to max gaming on the 1080P monitor.   

The Bolt is a nice system but the mini mobo only has a single PCie slot for the graphics card.  If you have no intention of adding another card in sli, or adding a sound card, etc, then its all you need.

If you want something a little larger for ease of upgrade and not so tight a fit, the Virtue is a nice case.  The level 2 has the gtx 770, which is a strong card but if you can, the gtx 780 is about 20-25% better gaming performance.

If you stay with a gtx 770, the Vanquish level 4 or for hundreds less will game the same as the Virtue level 2.  There are a ton of ways to go, depending on the budget and performance you're willing to pay for.

WiFi....Some of the mobos have built in WiFi, like the Maximus 4 mobo under Bolt systems.   But its a lot cheaper and easier, to just get a good USB WiFI dongle that plugs in externally.  They work great for about $20-30.

Good Luck. Big%20Smile
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 9:04am
I second bp22's choice. The Bolt with the 780 will take care of all your games and is worth the price of admission. Shouldn't need to upgrade the L3 Bolt for some time to come so it's a great choice. The add-on wifi USB dongle - inexpensive and easy to install. You also can't get more compact and powerful than the Bolt. Sounds like a perfect fit!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
GreenBean View Drop Down

Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 9:42pm
Just wanted.to.let everyone know I got a new Bolt level 3 on the way. Ordered it Thursday, :)
I got it as is listed with a few upgrades. I got it with the blu-ray player and got the next up grade in video card to a 780 evga superclock I believe it was called. It was only a $26 upgrade so I figured why not. I was able to get the blue ghost flame paint job as well.
And since I seen it on a post by ssgmike or something like that in his thread about.getting his own Bolt. He linked A 27" HP pavilion IPS monitor for cheap, I got 1 as well for 267 w/ shipping.
So im excited to get my new rig running soon and get playing :)
I know I went over budget, but I think this will definitely be worth it an able to.keep up with my games for quite a while into the future. Thanks DS

Edited by GreenBean - 20 Dec 2013 at 9:50pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 5:34am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 6:48am
AwesomeAwesome
claude88 View Drop Down

Quote claude88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 7:54am
I found your build interesting and was looking it over when I noticed that the upgraded video card says it requires a min 600w power under info. Is that a problem or is that ok?

Thanks for any input
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 8:56am
Testing by DS and others has shown the Bolt's psu can handle it with no problem.   The Titan Bolt shows psu usage at around 400watts the last review I saw.  .   The 600 watt recommended is usually based on a rig with a full size motherboard and many more fans, etc that a larger case might have.     I don't think there's a big difference in power usage between the mobos but every little bit helps. 

Edited by bprat22 - 21 Dec 2013 at 9:29am
GreenBean View Drop Down

Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 3:58pm

Edited by GreenBean - 22 Dec 2013 at 4:19pm
GreenBean View Drop Down

Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 4:00pm
See next post please. Double posted on accident.

Edited by GreenBean - 22 Dec 2013 at 4:18pm
GreenBean View Drop Down

Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by GreenBean

Originally posted by GreenBean

Have a question for you guys. I assumed it was a windows 7 install but default was windows 8.1. I haven't heard much good about windows 8.1.   Is it possible to get this changed? Nobody at DS on weekends to contact, tried to call. I'd like to get some opinions on windows 8 over 7 or generel advice.I would pay an up charge if its necessary. Thank you
Mike

Forgot to add my order number is 31690. Thank you
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 4:18pm
If the build isn't into testing, then just call or email them tomorrow.   Changing the OS isn't an extra charge if caught in time.

Windows 8 is getting more positive reviews and for the latest DirectX 11.1 and 11.2, you need Win8. The latest DirectX is showing performance increases in BF 4 for example.   But, your choice as always.
GreenBean View Drop Down

Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 4:22pm
Thanks bprat. Lol man I was trying to edit my posts some and accidentally messed up. Im posting all this from my phone.
What would your preference be? My post before this is what I should have written. I kind of wantes to get some opinions so I could get a better idea. Im just not familiar with 8. But I have read mixed reviews on it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 4:35pm
I'm still using Win7 on my DS rig from over 2 years ago but if I was getting a new pc, I would get the latest OS and never look back. Win 8 is getting better and future updates, support , DirectX for gaming, will be with Win8. Win8 was designed to integrate touch screens to pc with the new interface, but still works just fine on non touch screens. I have no first hand experience so I am going by what I hear increasingly.

I suggest Win8 but everyone to their own.
GreenBean View Drop Down

Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 4:40pm
Thanks bpratt. Ill look into it some more. I have used 7 myself, not 8 though, and heard the interface is quite different, and that it incorporates cloud computing which im not really interested in. But if the gaming performance will be better, im all for it.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 7:43pm
If your system is primarily designed for gaming then the obvious choice should be Win8.1 for it's DirectX 11.1/2 support. People always complain about change and so far Win8 got a lot of flack mainly because it was different - not worse. If we never adapted to change, we'd all still be using horse drawn buggies!!
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
GreenBean View Drop Down

Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 5:52pm
Hello again DS, just wanted to give an update on my order. Well i placed my order on 12-18-13 and had it confirmed and given a stage 1 update on 12-19-2013. After that nothing. So i figured because of the Christmas and new years holidays they were a bit behind. so i called on Friday, January 3rd 2014 to get an update. Apparently it was delivered to my house that day. But i had no one at my house or myself to receive it because i wasn't notified at all of any status updates or anything. So now because of this and apparently UPS doesn't deliver on weekends, coupled with the extreme weather here, i live just outside Chicago, it wont be delivered till Wednesday minimum. I have to say i am highly frustrated and disappointed in DigitalStorm. You guys totally dropped the ball for me. I called and talked to a sales rep who told me it was shipped and apologized for the lack of communication and updates. DigitalStorm prides itself on customer service and i have ordered from you before. I feel very let down, i have talked you guys up a lot to my friends and family, after this, I don't see how i can. I don't think i will be ordering again after this experience.
Order number is 31690 if you want to verify it. Have a good day.

Edited by GreenBean - 07 Jan 2014 at 5:53pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 6:54pm
Question, why didn't you call them after you didn't hear anything more after the Stage 1 update which was the 19th? It's always best if you don't hear anything after a couple of days or a week to call them and get an update. It being the holidays at the time and everything i'm sure they were swamped with orders and didn't have the time to do any updates.

Regardless i hope you get your system soon and that you'll be happy with it. A sales rep did in fact apologize for the lack of updates so i mean they are sorry.

Alex will probably be on here later and say something.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 07 Jan 2014 at 7:11pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

GreenBean View Drop Down

Quote GreenBean Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 8:23pm
I do hope that i'm happy as you say. Just disappointed the way it turned out. I enjoy getting the updates, helps you to know how its coming along, but the biggest gripe i have is that i wasn't notified at all that it was done and shipping so i could track it and make a point to be at my house or have someone here so i could take delivery.
The distinguishing thing about DigitalStorm is their customer care and service. Many PC builders out there offer great systems similar to DS, I chose them because of past experience and the Customer Service. So needless to say, after spending $2300 i expect this service. I don't think its asking too much. thank you for your concern ArkansasWoman
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:28am
Yes they should have notified you that it was done and shipping but they did apologize for it, not many companies would say sorry at all, they would just brush you off and be happy that they took your money. That is what separates DS from those other companies they aren't like that, they care for you and will do everything they can to make it right with you.

Don't let this experience give you a negative outlook towards DS, they do their best to make the customer happy and sometimes they will make mistakes but they strive to make the customer happy.

When you get your system will you take pictures of it? All of us customers on here love seeing pictures of other customers photos of their rigs.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 08 Jan 2014 at 7:41am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k