FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

17inch Laptop Radeon Drivers, Error Message

Post Date: 2012-07-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Discobiscuits View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Discobiscuits Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 17inch Laptop Radeon Drivers, Error Message
    Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:04am
Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a 17 inch digitalstorm laptop with discrete Radeon HD 7970M graphics. The game "Dead Island" was running a tad slower than I had expected (may just be the game, or maybe I didn't properly configure the GPU switch), so I decided to go update my drivers from AMD's website.

When I tried downloading the drivers, I get this message:

imageshack(DOT)us/photo/my-images/36/errorkk.png/

If you don't want to visit the link, it basically says "Your graphics adapter is not supported. Contact your notebook supplier for new drivers."

Any suggestions? Main objective is to get the game running better. Lowering settings interestingly makes little difference.

Thanks!

Edited by Discobiscuits - 06 Jul 2012 at 11:05am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 11:08am
The current driver you have is the only one available for the 7970M.

What performance numbers do you see with your game "Dead Island." Try using a program called FRAPS to see your FPS (frames per second) while playing the game and let us know.

Quote Discobiscuits Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 12:38pm
Well, after playing PC games since 4th grade I can tell you it was about 15-20 fps, lows being around 6 fps, and the best being around 50 when I look towards the sky. Given this card's specs I was expecting 60+ at the given settings. BUT I have read around and lots of people have said DI can have some pretty lame performance.

What was interesting to note is that there was little performance difference from max settings to low/medium.

How can I be sure my discrete graphics chip is being used? Is this something I do only in catalyst, or does it have to be set in multiple places?

Thanks for the quick response btw
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 1:07pm
I could be wrong, don't know gaming laptops, but I thought in another post it came up that when gaming on battery., not plugged in, the integrated graphics kicks in.    It needs to be plugged in for graphic card to be used with no option to change.   If I'm wrong then I gave it a shot.       Good luck.
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 1:07am
After fussing with the 7970M on my x17 for about 2 weeks I've come to these conclusions. The only driver that's any good is the one on the disk. 12.6 Official and 12.7 beta are causing people all over the other boards a lot of problems. The general consensus is to wait for AMD to make some good ones I'll wait till NBR and Guru3d guys are happy before I touch anything from AMD. The card is great; the drivers are immature.

Get into your advanced power settings amd make sure everything is set to maximum performance and run the machine with the power plugged in.bprat22 is right about it going to integrated on battery. Enduro is a dog till AMD gives more control on the GUI.

I have noticed that if I set the switchable craphics on the CCC to high performance for the game .exe files, I can hear the fan power up and the back get warm so the 7970M is hooking up. If the "nag" is unchecked, you might be running games on the integrated and not realize it.

I manually added my games to the CCC and stuck all the power settings to performance so I feel pretty good about the 7970M doing it's job. Now, if AMD pushes out killer drivers with the ability to disble enduro...I'd be a happy camper.

Quote Discobiscuits Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 12:57pm
Thanks so much Bobby. You've given me a lot of information and options to work with. I'll do what you've recommended and report back
kertain View Drop Down

Quote kertain Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 5:22pm
Hello,
I am having a similar issue with the same laptop and graphics card.

Running skyrim, fallout and diablo 3 and all don't run very well. When I load up skyrim the only graphic card options I get is the Intel 4000.

This leads me to believe that the switchable graphics isn't working properly. I have made sure to go into the CCC and set each games.exe to "high performance" but how can I be sure that this is working?

Also I read on other forums that other laptops have an option in the bios to turn off "shared graphic" to "dedicated".. essentially turning off the low end card completely. Is this possible on DS laptops?

So far pretty disappointed in what should be a very good gaming laptop. I hope this is an issue with windows/amd/intel not switching to the correct GPU.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 7:20pm
It's not possible to "turn off" the CPU graphics in this laptop. What you are reading is a function of an Alienware laptop that is set in the bios. Our laptop runs off a bios set by Clevo and that function is unavailable at the moment.

While it's a cool function, I don't think it's necessary as long as Enduro is working properly in the CCC. I think that the Digital Storm laptop is a very good gaming laptop; it's just that we have a cutting edge GPU with an immature driver.

12.7 beta has addressed the issues you're experiencing with your games but, being beta, they are causing crashes so I would not recommend updating to them yet. The problem is AMD drivers, not our hardware.

Get into your power settings advanced tab and change everything to high performance. All should be good when the drivers mature. NVidia went through the same thing when Optimus first came out.
kertain View Drop Down

Quote kertain Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 3:52pm
Thanks Bobby,
I tried the 12.7 beta drivers with no performance increase.
Seems like everything is using the Intel graphic card no matter what. Am I the only once getting this issue with DS laptops? Right now it is pretty much unusable to for gaming.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 4:20pm
It looks like the Radeon drivers are not recognizing the game. What happens when you download and run the Heaven benchmark, you can download it here, just make sure you click the "I Agree" link: http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2873&file=4&evp=e07e9edc8599be3b558a93f30ebec842
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 3:08pm
@kertain...the present driver is as such that the game will still "see" the iCPU card but still be using the 7970M card. While a lot if us are seeing some issues with the 7970M in a lot of games, it still comes down to the immature driver.

I've seen some great youtube videos of Skrym and diablo 3 on our laptop (P170EM based laptops) to realize it really is the driver.

I have read in my techie boards that if you remove and cleanout the previous VGA drivers rather than installing the 12.7 betas right on top of the stock one, that itself will cause issues. Doesn't make sense....but nothing ever does with beta drivers and AMD. Could be that the prior CCC manager needs the old version.

Bottom line, in my humble opinion, I'd clean out the beta and simply go back to the one that is on the disk till AMD releases a more mature driver. Not Digital Storm's fault....both AMD and NVidia release their cutting edge hardware before either of them build good drivers....especially notebook drivers, not so much desktop drivers.

Also...be sure the correct .exe file is told to use high performance in the CCC, some games including Skrym, have more than one .exe and I even set the wrong one for one of my games.

Run over to the notebook review forums and keep an eye on the Clevo/Sager subsection. Those folks there are on top of the 7970M driver problems. I'm waiting till they are happy before I mess with my x17 VGA drivers

Laptop is great....cutting edge hardware driver just isn't there yet. If you still have isssues, talk to DS tech support....they'll get you going.
candyzhu View Drop Down

Quote candyzhu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 9:29pm
I have read in my techie boards that if you remove and cleanout the previous VGA drivers rather than installing the 12.7 betas right on top of the stock one, that itself will cause issues. Doesn't make sense....but nothing ever does with beta drivers and AMD. Could be that the prior CCC manager needs the old version.
candyzhu
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 12:06pm
Yea, the main reason I stay away from AMD is strictly the drivers, when in fact, their cards are very competitive if not better.

For Skyrim.. its due to the card not being active. Nvidia OPTIMUS does that as well.

You need to plug the laptop in, power it down, turn it back on (it has to be plugged in) and then run the launcher again and redetect your settings.

If that doesn't work -- try and see if there is a keycommand to switch graphics and then repeat the above.

Just for clarification there is nothing wrong with the laptop in that regard. That is how these new GPUs for notebooks run. All of them.

Regards,

Xii
 Post Reply Post Reply