27-Inch Monitor and your feedback..

Post Date: 2016-07-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Vulcan4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vulcan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 27-Inch Monitor and your feedback..
    Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 6:04am
Ok, as some of you read yesterday about me ordering the Hailstorm 2, I am now searching for a monitor. I was going to go with a 24 inch, but have decided a 27 inch would be the sweet spot for and with me.

I will post the types of games I will be playing to help with the suggestions anyone might be willing to share with me. And after that list, I will share the type of monitor I want or desire to go along with this build. So, let's get at it, shall we!?!?!?!! LoL :p ;)

Here is the list of the types of games I'll be playing -

***Racing simulations such as iRacing, GTR2, NR2003 which has been heavily modded to increase it's lifespan, rFactor2, F1 2016, RPGs and Strategy War games/simulations, ARMA 4, Battlefield 4, the Tom Clancy's series of games, certain types and styles FPS/First Person Shooting games, Grand Theft Auto games and of course a few sports games such as Baseball and Football and 'Text-style' Sports games such as OOTP16 (Out Of The Park Baseball). I love sports games that are the closets to the real thing, in other words - I love sports games based on a LOT of statistics. :)

Here is the criteria of the monitor I desire to buy/purchase to run those types of games/sims on -

***27 Inch (non-curved)
***144MHz
***G-Sync
***IPS (but a TN screen would still do a great job after some editing or tweaking of the colour(s) on the monitor).
***1440p (I have heard some VERY nice things about this resolution[1440p] esp when it is running 144MHz.

Note(s):
I wouldn't mind a 4K 27 Inch monitor, but so far with most of the things I have seen or read, a 4K monitor does not run a IPS with 144MHz refresh-rate and/or a resolution 1440p with G-Sync.
If someone could point me one to research, I am more than willing to check it out. I have seen avid poster DST4ME post about an ASUS 4K monitor with IPS screen technology that can or will run at 144MHz, however, it is still unsure when or if or how this monitor will be released.

Having said this, I appreciate, very much so, this awesome community we have here at the Digital Storm forum/discussion board.

ALL COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS CONSIDERED AND WELCOMED!!! :D
Invader Mig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 10:31am
Based on your list I'd say the Acer Predator XB271HU is your best bet for a 27inch 144hz IPS display. Asus seems to still have QC issues plaguing their ROG line up. All of these monitors, regardless of company seem to be hit or miss with regard to backlight bleed. As it stand now though, this seems to be the most consistent display. It's pricey though.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 1:09pm
Just like to point out that one can tweak a tn panel all one wants, it still can't do what IPS can do, so don't believe some of the stuff you read. The IPS Panel is just superior tech.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 1:32pm
if you have a Pascal graphics card in your new system i'd advise you to wait and save (because they ain't gonna be cheap) for one of the new display port 1.3/1.4 capable monitors (like the one advertised) coming in the new year.  you can get by with something cheap/older until then.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 2:58pm
IPS panels are superior when it comes to color and viewing angles, not response times. Not to mention TN panels are not as bad as they used to be at all. The viewing angles are not great, but as I don't make a habit of staring at my monitor from extreme angles it makes literally no difference.

These "Gaming" IPS panels are notorious for having, in some cases some horrendous back light bleed. All the color accuracy and viewing angles in the world don't make up for blacks that barely look gray in some cases. It's gotten to the point where hoping for a great IPS panel is akin to winning the silicon lottery. You could try for a tried and true 60hz ips panel, but I wouldn't be caught dead gaming at 60hz.

I stand by my original recommendation though.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 3:02pm
I will disagree with some of the stuff you said, we have many gaming on IPS and don't really notice those issues, all IPS panels are not the same so yes bad models have bad results but that is not true for all. having to sit dead center on the tn panel is a pain in my ass I will never deal with again, and thats just one, the inferior image drives me crazy more then being center.

some of us rather 60hz and better image and others are ok with inferior image but 144Hz.

But

to each his own

Soon TN will vanish once we have IPS at 144Hz, I couldn't think of reason why one would go tn at that point.

Edited by DST4ME - 02 Jul 2016 at 3:05pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 6:30am
Originally posted by DST4ME

I will disagree with some of the stuff you said, we have many gaming on IPS and don't really notice those issues, all IPS panels are not the same so yes bad models have bad results but that is not true for all. having to sit dead center on the tn panel is a pain in my ass I will never deal with again, and thats just one, the inferior image drives me crazy more then being center.

some of us rather 60hz and better image and others are ok with inferior image but 144Hz.

But

to each his own

Soon TN will vanish once we have IPS at 144Hz, I couldn't think of reason why one would go tn at that point.

I agree for the most. My argument isn't that IPS isn't superior, but with regards to "Gaming" IPS panels like the ROG, Predator and other models, QC is still a real issue even after all this time. There are very reliable IPS panels out there that are 60hz, but I would never recommend one for gaming.

Many of people don't mind gaming on 60hz, but there isn't a single person that I've personally shown the difference, that wasn't blown away by it. Once quality 144hz IPS panels start rolling out with reliable consistency, TN panels can die their long awaited deaths.

At one point Amazon flat out stopped selling first gen ROG and Acer IPS 144hz panels due to the sheer number of complaints and returns. It's gotten better since then, but still isn't where it should be in my opinion.

All that being said, the monitor I recommended in my OP is still the best currently available.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 7:02am
I have seen them, and I know others that will stick with the IPS, I just can't go back to TN.

To each his own
Vulcan4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vulcan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 7:42am
Originally posted by Invader Mig

Based on your list I'd say the Acer Predator XB271HU is your best bet for a 27inch 144hz IPS display. Asus seems to still have QC issues plaguing their ROG line up. All of these monitors, regardless of company seem to be hit or miss with regard to backlight bleed. As it stand now though, this seems to be the most consistent display. It's pricey though.

Thank you, man. I appreciate your suggestion and I am almost certain I will be getting the ACER as well. That monitor has been on my list to pair with my new Hailstorm 2. Acer just seems to have better quality over Asus with this particular. Not bad-mouthing Asus whatsoever. I like Asus a lot, esp their motherboards.

And thanks to everyone replying. :)
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 8:10am
Our pleasure and good luck
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 8:38am
I haven't looked at monitors in a few years, but that monitor does look like a keeper.  StrongBig%20Smile

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Invader Mig Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:33am
The sad part of all this is that Dell came out with a 144hz "Gaming" monitor, but it's a TN panel, and a pretty poor one at that. I was hoping Dell of all companies would be the one to bring about real change when I heard they were stepping in the ring. Sadly this is not the case.

P.S. You're welcome man. If you do end up purchasing this monitor, come back and let us know your experience with it.

Edited by Invader Mig - 03 Jul 2016 at 9:38am
Vulcan4 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Vulcan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:55am

The sad part of all this is that Dell came out with a 144hz "Gaming" monitor, but it's a TN panel, and a pretty poor one at that. I was hoping Dell of all companies would be the one to bring about real change when I heard they were stepping in the ring. Sadly this is not the case.

P.S. You're welcome man. If you do end up purchasing this monitor, come back and let us know your experience with it.

Oh, I sure will, man. I'll share my experience from the opening of the box/package it ships in to the systems performance. It won't be one of those editor detailed reviews, lol, but I will share my exp. in a small but 'to the point' review. :)

It is coming to me by freight and to be honest, that is my first and only concern. I say that because of the several horror stories I've read about broken PC systems due to the handling by those shipping to the package.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 7:00am

I'll never understand why Dell jumped on the gaming TN panel bandwagon. TN panels are on the way the hell out imo, especially when it comes to larger display screens. I'll never buy a 27" TN panel, regardless of the refresh rate. I have a 17" laptop with a TN panel and don't have much of a problem with it when it comes to gaming. However, when viewing photos, the bad viewing angles become slightly more evident. I can only imagine how atrocious it would be on a much larger display, unless you sit even further back, which in turn raises the question of getting a bigger TN display.

I like being able to both game and do work on my systems without having to sit further back and needing to be dead center with the screen in order to have complete display uniformity. The available IPS panels with G-sync from Acer, Asus, etc., are still dicey at best.

Not to rail on TN panels as they do have their use(albeit a very narrow one), but its just irritating that companies keep making these things instead of diverting more resources towards developing a better display solution, or a better idea: improve their quality control of their existing models.
 Post Reply Post Reply