Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
roccoatwar View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 3D VISION 2 SURROUND
    Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:08pm
Budget:
[$10k-$12K]

Expectations:
[To be able to play the latest titles and upcoming titles in 3D Vision Surround with Ultimate settings. ]

Usage:
[Strictly Gaming. Most time spent play BF3 until a better title comes along]

Special Needs:
[Custom Paint Job. If I am going to spend $10k on a PC, I better be able to request a custom Paint job. Will Digital Storm fulfill this request? I will be glad to pay a premium as long as my request is met.]

Questions:

1) With the upcoming release of the NVIDIA GFORCE 690, will I be able to run a triple 690 setup in SLI. So far, I have only read about a possible Dual SLI setup with the 690. Why would I spend $3k for GPU power? Becuase this machine is to be the ultimate and will need to stay the ultimate for at least 2 years.

2) Custom Paint - Has digital storm ever done a special request in the past? If so, please speak up.

3) With a dual or triple 690 setup, will I need a CryoTec cooling rig, or will the Aventum, with its exhaust system be enough?
Medical Operations Officer
1-10th Special Forces
Special Operations Command EU
Stuttgart, Germany
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 8:47am
Hi roccoatwar,

1. Since the 690 is not out it is hard to comment on how it will work. Looking back at past history the 490 and 590 has been terrible cards due to the heat and detuning. These cards are nothing more than two video cards mounted into one case and SLI linked together. They have to detune the cards because of the excessive heat generated. In the past it has always been better to get two single GPU cards and run them in SLI. They run cooler and have always out performed a single, dual card like the 590. I just don't see this situation changing with the 690.

You can't do triple 690s as that would be the equivalent of six cards in SLI. The hardware can't do that. So at most you can do 2 690s which would be quad-SLI or 4 individual GPU cards in quad-SLI. Unless things change drastically you will be better off with 4 680s in quad SLI. Four independent GPU cards in quad-SLI has always out performed two 590s in Quad-Sli.

2. I think you can get a custom paint job from DS. These custom paint jobs are expensive as they are done outside of DS. Alex will correct me if I am incorrect. There is also the Digital Storm LaserMark Service. They cut a design or what ever you want within reason onto the side of the case.

3. CryoTec cooling is only for the CPU. You have to use standard LC cooling on the GPUs. If you want a knock your socks off system the CryoTec with LC on the GPUs is great. For this level of system the Aventum is a great case especially for LC. The rads go in the bottom and the expelled warm air is not exhausted back into the case like most LC systems.   

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 01 May 2012 at 8:49am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 1:38pm
In regards to the custom paint, yes, we can do it, and we do have our LaserMark service. Custom paint will cost at least $300+.

Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:28pm
OK. Great news on the custom Paint. that was a big selling point for me. I'm not looking for any crazy airbrush design...just want white colors with a Nvidia Green Highlight...but I want the monitors and keypboard painted in white as well.

Next...GPU Questions. First, I would like to run a QUAD SLI setup, and I am not that hot and how GPUs work. I know more is better...and that more Vram and more Cuda cores is a good thing. However, with the release of the 690, it looks that Nvidia has addressed some of the issues with the pror 590, most notably scaling and heat, as this card looks to be a great desing. But...its only 2 GB of Vram per core, for a total of 4GB. Does this mean that if I run 2 x 690's in a QUAD SLI, that I will have 8GB of Vram available for my gaming...or only 4GB??? I don't understand how vram works. All I know is I am hearing complaints that people running Extremely Hi Resolutions in 3D Surround on the most demaning games (BF3 and SKYRIM) that the new 680s 2GB and 690 are maxxed out on VRAM.

So, should I wait until there is a 4GB version of the 680 and run 4 x 680s? If I run 4 x 680's at 4gb per core...does that mean I will have 16GB of VRAM available...or only 4Gb?

Please help me as I am getting close to ordering soon.

Also...ALEX...can you recommend someone to speak with via phone to help answer my questions...someone who is able to break this stuff down Barney style to a knuckdragger, prior Infantryman like myself?

thanks,

Rock
1-10th Special Forces
Stuttgart, Germany
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:47pm

Glad to hear from you again!

To paint other parts, it's going to cost about $200-$300+ per part, as it has to be taken apart, preparation on the material, paint, finish, and putting it back together.

The GTX 690 do not have any heat issues, so you are perfectly fine there. Two GTX 690's are faster than three GTX 680's.

You will not have 8GB of VRAM, it will still be the standard 4GB.

You can call and speak with John, he's great!

Quote roccoatwar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 1:53pm
Thanks Alex!! Your the man. DS is really impressive.

So, what about waiting a little bit longer for the EVGA 4GB 680...then getting 4 of those to run a QUAD SLI 680s at 4GB. Would that be the best thing possible right now?

Will that be sufficiuet for Ultra settings on the highest res (6000x1400) in 3D surround?

I keep hearing that the 690s are running into Vram issues in SKyrim and BF3 in Surround setups when in 3d with hi res textures on.

I am nervous, and want to make sure that I am getting the absolute best, and will stay the best for at least 12-18 months...then I can upgrade the GPus.

Thanks Alex.

I will call John soon.

1-10th Special Forces
Stuttgart, Germany
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:34pm
Hi roccoatwar,

I think it is pretty clear that 2560 monitors play better with more Vram. Vram does not add and the 690 only has 2Gb per 680. If you wait for 3Gb or 4Gb 680s you will only have the on board Vram for each card.

While the 690 doesn't run hot like the 590 it still has the problem of dumping hot air directly into the case from two 680s. The 690s are also under clocked and while they could be OC a bit, I wonder what it will do to the heat output?     

Frank
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:18pm
Doing 3D Surround is going to use a lot of VRAM. Going with four GTX 680 4GB cards isn't a bad idea at all. It would honestly be very similar in performance with two GTX 690's.
 Post Reply Post Reply