Post Date: 2015-08-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Stooks View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Stooks Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: 980 Ti in Vanquish Lv.2
    Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 7:10pm
Hey everybody, I'm looking to upgrade the GPU in my Lv.2 Vanquish 3 pc and have my eyes/heart set on the GTX 980Ti. Is this even doable, let alone worth it? Should I instead go with the GTX970 and use the leftover money that would otherwise be spent on the 980Ti for some other component upgrade to the machine? (Looking to spend give or take $700)

If the question itself hasn't conveyed this clearly enough, I'm very new to this awesome world of Pc Gaming/computer specs in general. (Hence why I bought a prebuilt, I'm a recovering console peasant forgive me lol)

I guess in other words, if you owned a Lv.2 Vanquish 3 and were given $700 specifically for the purpose of upgrading, what would your move be? Gracias.

Edited by Stooks - 21 Aug 2015 at 9:32pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 10:26pm
with those computer specs you're in the 1080p realm anyway, so no real reason to upgrade beyond a GTX970.  maybe invest in a really nice 1080p monitor if you don't already have one?  
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 5:14am
db's got it right... GTX970 is all you need. I'm looking to upgrade my own Vanquish and am now focused on the GTX970 + RAM (16Gb) as I already have a decent 1080p monitor (with a 16x9 second that does just fine).

Good luck and keep us informed.

OH!... and welcome from the console world. A nice place, to be sure, but just not the same as the PC Gaming world.
ChromeMax View Drop Down

Quote ChromeMax Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Snaike

db's got it right... GTX970 is all you need. I'm looking to upgrade my own Vanquish and am now focused on the GTX970 + RAM (16Gb) as I already have a decent 1080p monitor (with a 16x9 second that does just fine).

Good luck and keep us informed.

OH!... and welcome from the console world. A nice place, to be sure, but just not the same as the PC Gaming world.

We all know what you mean XD #PCMASTERRACE
Stooks View Drop Down

Quote Stooks Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 9:58am
Thanks for the timely responses!

The monitor I'm currently rocking is a BenQ RL2455HM, which by and large has done the job fairly well.

The more sensible option it sounds like would be to simply go with the 970. However if you could indulge my "go big or go home senses"...

Is the 980Ti even a compatible card to replace the 960, in terms of working with the remaining components or even just the basic larger dimensions of the thing? I've danced around the question but yes I'm basically asking "will it fit"? The reason why I'm still leaning towards the overkill GPU is that in the future i'd perhaps like to build my own rig and eventually have two of the suckers for what would be, as I understand it, a machine prepped and ready for 4K.

Is that even a reasonable venture to embark on? Why or why not?
From the limited information I've digested is that GPUs tend to evolve and fluctuate in price fairly rapidly. I understand the fallacy of making things "future proof" and I'm aware of the current issues regarding 4K monitors, but again this is a future idea, nay fantasy I'd like for y'all to entertain.

Love the feedback, and appreciate the honest answers.   

Edited by Stooks - 22 Aug 2015 at 9:59am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 10:38am
The gtx 980 ti will fit in the same motherboard Pcie slot as the 960 and the 600 watt psu should be fine.   Assuming you have the default Vanquish case, the 230T, it should also fit.  

If you're looking to go 4K in the near future then the 980TI's would be great.   If this is a upgrade for 2-3 years from now, I would wait on the graphics card for any new releases in that time.  Things do change rather quickly.  Big%20Smile
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The gtx 980 ti will fit in the same motherboard Pcie slot as the 960 and the 600 watt psu should be fine.   Assuming you have the default Vanquish case, the 230T, it should also fit.  

If you're looking to go 4K in the near future then the 980TI's would be great.   If this is a upgrade for 2-3 years from now, I would wait on the graphics card for any new releases in that time.  Things do change rather quickly.  Big%20Smile
i concur.  "future-proofing" is often a misnomer.  the operative word should be "expandable".  as long as you have the correct amount/quality of power supply, an "sli ready" mobo of the appropriate generation(s) with the necessary expansion slots and interior case room, you're ready for any of the GTX series cards in at least a 2-card sli config. 

don't get too caught up with buying something now for what you might want to do later.  unless of course "later" is just a matter of waiting a couple of paychecks to pay for the build goals.  too far in the future and your goals are certainly to change with the advent of new technologies and even your own needs.  get what you need for the here and now with an eye to possible expansion if needed/desired in the future.    

Edited by db188 - 22 Aug 2015 at 3:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply