FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A couple small upgrade questions

Post Date: 2011-10-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SnorkelBear View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SnorkelBear Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A couple small upgrade questions
    Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 12:44pm
Hey, I bought my DS pc last year and while its still running like a champ I decided I wanted to put in a few upgrades.

Once in a blue moon my frame rates will drop down, despite my cpu not being especially taxed, so I attribute it to my gtx480 getting burning lava hot under load.

So I decided to order the zalman vf3000f (aftermarket gpu cooler) and some AS ceramique. My question about it is when I go to apply the paste to the gpu and the vram, do I want to do the line method so theres a thin blotch of paste in the middle, or spread it out over the entire thing?

Secondly, one thing I really wanted to order but couldn't afford at the time of purchase was a SSD. So I finally got the money together and ordered a 120gb mushkin to replace the 500gb hd the pc came with as the primary hd. What would be the best direction for me to go? If I install it keeping the current hd as the primary hd would I be able to use the DS recovery cd or the windows cd to add windows to it, while im running windows, then change bios settings to boot from the ssd aftetwards? I am not really sure what the ideal process is, so any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 10:07pm
I would check the gpu temps before I bothered wiht after market coolers, which are pointless IMHO nad just throw the heat in the case.

all ssds are not the same, did you buy that ssd already?

this is the wrong section for your questions
 Post Reply Post Reply