FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

a few random questions....

Post Date: 2014-02-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tallikat View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tallikat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: a few random questions....
    Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 11:33am
Ok so i'm really just getting back into PC's and PC gaming. its been a long time since i've had a desktop but ive been looking into a new hobby, maybe even a side job someday. i recently bought a DS rig that's ready to go for the future, so that one i'm not messing with for awhile and until i trust myself enough to play around with it. anyways i do want to build my own still. i want to start small obviously with cheaper components in case i screw up. i suppose my first question is...

are DIY combos a good way to get my foot in the door and build a decent pc? if not maybe a list of decent quality/priced components to start with?

and here are the truly random questions...

do new cpu's come with thermal compound/syringe and a stock fan?

is a simple liquid cooling system easy enough for a beginner?

is it easy to add/bridge a second gpu if the exsisting card is sli ready?

and the last question is really for down the road i think. maybe just a guesstimate on when/if a 6 core cpu will be a necessity for high end gaming?

i appologize if any of these questions are dumb, but i'd appreciate feedback anyways!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 2:50pm
I can't say all, but a lot of cpu's do come with heat sink and the basic fan. It'll usually say in Contents what is included. Thermal paste is pretty cheap, so either way is good.

A liquid cooling option, like h60 for example, are easy to install and zero maintenance. Just need access to back of mobo to install the bracket.   A lot of cases have a mobo cutout for that purpose. Or install before mounting mobo to standoffs.

Sli is just adding the second card and installing the bridge, which just plugs in to both cards, and enabling in Nvidia control panel.

The other 6 core question I couldn't say.   

Have fun.
tallikat View Drop Down

Quote tallikat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 3:38pm
cool, i appreciate the info. i guess the phrase "legos for adults" is somewhat accurate. it does sound like fun. then i'll just have to learn the software side of things... anyways thanks again!   
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 9:28pm
If you buy a "Retail" CPU it normally will come with factory heatsink & thermal paste. Like most "OEM" items, it's usually just that with no accessories. Not sure if they even sell CPU's OEM style anymore (I know they used to in the past).

As far as SLI GPU's, the bigger concern isn't about the GPU as almost all modern GPU's are SLI compatible but whether or not the motherboard supports SLI or not. Otherwise, it is simply plug n play with minimal setup.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
tallikat View Drop Down

Quote tallikat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 7:18am
Yea, that's why I went with the sabertooth. Think you gave me that recommendation actually. So thanks for that.
 Post Reply Post Reply