FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Number of Questions

Post Date: 2018-04-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ibpigeonmaster View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ibpigeonmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A Number of Questions
    Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 11:13pm
Hello all, I'm pretty close to purchasing a PC from here but i have a few reservations. first off however this is the build i have come up with.

Configuration Code: 1888738
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,903

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm VANQUISH 7 <br><strong></strong>
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X (8-Core) 3.60GHz
Motherboard: MSI X299 SLI PLUS (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
SSD / M.2: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
HDD Set 1: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba)
HDD Set 2: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

This is in my price range and I think will meet my needs nicely however I want to be thorough and I have some questions about this PC's capability as my knowledge is limited. This is my dream computer and its going to be made into my dream gaming/streaming/recording setup. that setup includes three monitors two 1080p ones and perhaps a 4k. Would this compute be able to handle that? and by handle it I mean run intensive games on the 4k while streaming? (I don't have any desire to stream or record in 4k I just want a monitor that I can see in 4k) If this setup would not be able to run that then could it run three 1080p monitors, I know it has the ports but I worry about the rigs ability to actually run everything.
My other question is this. I have a EVGA 750B power supply from a previous computer I owned. I Know I dont want to skimp on that but is 750 watts enough? And if so, would buying the computer with the cheaper 600 watt power supply and then swapping it out be a good idea to save me 60 bucks?
-Ibpigeonmaster

Quote ibpigeonmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 11:16pm
PS: Any critiques on the build would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-Ibpigeonmaster
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:47am
We don't recommend the 7th gen CPUs for gaming. With the 8700K Coffee Lake, you have 8th gen tech, 6 cores, 12 threads and a proc that turbos to 4.7 Ghz when needed.

Nvidia has not yet achieved the single card solution for gaming at 4k on the highest settings with all games. I don't know anything about pairing 4k gaming with streaming. It may be okay, may not, but the GPU is already working pretty hard on that 4k game. The CPU would not limit you. As for running 3 1080p monitors, I believe the GTX 1080 would be up to that use.

As for the used power supply, it's a fine idea as long as it doesn't have too many "miles" on it.

Here's my recommended rig: 1888791.

You save a little, but get better parts with longer warranties. I forgot the lighting, but I have it, I like it, and you can't beat free!

Hope I helped you.

Quote ibpigeonmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 8:37am
Thank you, I had no clue about the processor. You say now that
"Nvidia has not yet achieved the single card solution for gaming at 4k on the highest settings with all games"
does that mean dual 1070's or even 1080's would be capable of such things? And if so what are your opinions on having dual video cards. As for the CPU is it "not recommended for gaming" just because the Kaby Lake processors aren't much better than their predecessors and its a bad cost to value ratio? or is it just over the top on power? And finally I didn't seem to mention that i will also be doing plenty of video editing, rendering and recording and streaming. If moving on to capture cards are the way to go that's fine but I would like to run a bandicam or OBS like software in edition to max settings games I just want to be certain the rig is up to the task.(also if dispensing with the 4k monitor has to be done so be it its a bit of a pipe dream anyway.)
-Ibpigeonmaster
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 11:09am
The x299 platform has advantages over the Z370 for sure, like quad channel memory , more Pcie lanes for more than 2 video cards, etc but if this is strictly a gaming rig then the quad channel memory and added Pcie lanes won't matter.   Gaming also doesn't yet use more than 2-4 cores and primarily a single core is whats used.

The 8700k has a higher Turbo clock on first core.

For the price, Cretae gave you all the cpu and chipset needed for gaming, plus a better cpu cooler with longer warranty and same for the primary drive. 

Nothing wrong with your build, but if finances are tight then the second build gives you more for less in gaming.  If you do a lot of multitasking, editing and possible even heavy streaming then your build might be better with added cores, wider memory bandwidth, etc.

You did just mention video editing, rendering,recording, etc.  You might be better with the 7820x's more cores.threads and the wider memory. 

For 4K gaming at higher settings an sli setup is still needed, at least until the new generation arrives whenever Nvidia sees the marketing worth it.  I think a single card is always better than sli if you can get the gaming you want.  Otherwise, sli is needed for now.

I would use his suggestion on the M.2 and cpu cooler.

Big%20Smile

Quote ibpigeonmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 12:43pm
Thank you both very much. This has been very helpful. If anyone has any tips or critiques though I'm still open.

Thanks all!
-Ibpigeonmaster
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:20am
I'm glad we helped.

I hope bprat told you all you need to know about that other CPU platform. I'm strictly a gamer, so I don't know much about your other uses.

I can say that I have never been a fan of dual video cards, especially now. Video cards are selling at a ridiculous premium right now due to digital coin mining. My general objection is that you never get the power of a GPU X 2. There are always issues: lack of support by many programs and games that negates the whole concept, and that issue of getting only something like 35-60% from the second card for a variety of reasons. I'm hoping the next gen video cards will not only prove capable of driving 4k at the max, but also relieve some of the market shortage causing the price increases.
Bensonc120 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 12:57pm
I would just add if you want to do 4k gaming, wait for the new Nvidia card to release. Many games don't support or optimize for SLI nowadays so if you know which game(s) you want to play, look at their forums or website to see if that game actually do well with SLI. Otherwise you might be wasting your money. IMO the 1080, 1070 ti, and 1080 ti are more for 2k resolution than 4k.

Edited by Bensonc120 - 05 Apr 2018 at 12:59pm
Thermaltake Core
Intel Core i5-10400
MSI Z490
Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
Samsung M.2 SSD EVO 970 1TB
Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti
Asus PG278QR Monitor

Quote ibpigeonmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 1:02pm
Yeah, the more research I've done the more I think I don't really need 4k game graphics just yet. I might purchase a 4k monitor anyway so I can view some photos I've taken in the resolution and watch TV and movies in it and such. But I don't need to be running any games higher than 1080p. Thank you!
-Ibpigeonmaster
 Post Reply Post Reply