FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice needed on Non-Gaming rig

Post Date: 2012-06-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BGMcG View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BGMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice needed on Non-Gaming rig
    Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 8:09pm
Gaming is not a priority for me.  Am I nuts for going to DS for a non-gaming PC?   I feel like someone who has gone to the Porsche dealer looking for a family car, but I have had issues with the big names and DS seems to have a great reputation.  So here I am.
Budget:  $2500 ballpark, not including peripherals.
Other than the usual home office work and occasional gaming, the PC will primarily be used for trading stocks and photo editing.  That said, while the stock market is like a second job for me, I will never be a day trader with a six monitor array and my photography work is at the moment limited to Photoshop Elements. I do intend to upgrade to CS6, Lightroom, etc in the near future and I am concerned that with the ever-increasing size of photo files it is going to take some horsepower to work with those files efficiently.  I currently use two 1920 x 1200 monitors and have no plans to add any more.  For what I do, it is my understanding that the processor, hard drives and memory are far more important than the graphics card and that is how approached this config.  I would appreciate input on where the bottlenecks might be and also where it might make sense to dial back if I wanted to shave off $500 or so.  Thanks in advance.

Saved Ticket Number: 699711
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) (EVGA 012-P3-1571-BR)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

kaldoot View Drop Down

Quote kaldoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:02pm
Hi BGMcG,

This is what I suggest :  699754

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair TX850 V2 (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Here are the reasons :

6 core is more suited for video/image editing than a 4-core processor. If you are requirements are light, 3770k will be perfectly fine. But since it is in budget, it is a way to go. A good place to shave money if you want to as well.

Drop the 2133 MHz to 1600 MHz, not that useful IMO. You will not see much of a difference.

I chose the GTX 670 in stead of 570 since it is a newer and much better card.

I dropped the SSD. SSDs are great, but personally, I like to go for better processors/graphics card etc.

I changed the case to HAFX which is way bigger, much better airflow and gives you potential to add multitude of components later.

You can save money in my build by :

1. Dropping to 4 core from 6 core.
2. Dropping to 8 GB from 16 GB.
3. Using a lightly inferior case than HAFX like the one you chose. But this will not be my recommendation. Also drop the special upgraded fans if you stick with HAFX. They will not help much.
4. Drop to stage 1 overclock and use a stage 1 cooler.
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:19am
Kaldoot's build is probably one of the best that you will find for the money. The 3930 (Which is Sandy Bridge E, and therefore X79) can access quad channel RAM, which is great for video and image editing.

However, I would recommend changing the choice of hard drives. I personally liked your choice of hard drives, but with his build they would be out of the price range. However, you could still put in the caviar black edition for only seventeen dollars more, and it is almost as fast as some SSDs. You could also lower the processor to the 3820, which is the lowest Sandy Bridge E processor, and is quad core, and then you could use the spare money to get the SSD for a primary drive.

Check out this one: 699814.

The 3820 can still use quad channel RAM, and it will be better for your purposes than the 3770, but it will not be quite as fast as the 3930. However, it saves three hundred dollars and allows you to upgrade the hard drive.

While I normally recommend the Intel 520, the corsair is $150 cheaper, and it brings the price tag well under your budget.

Once again, if you still wanted to keep the 3930 (which I think would be a good choice), you could just upgrade the HDD in kaldoot's model to the Caviar Black for $17, and it would be fine. I just don't know whether faster R/W speeds or faster processing is more important to you.

kaldoot's with the minor hard drive change: 699815.

I personally would go with the minor hard drive change model, because it still should be more than fine, and it keeps the 3930, but I don't exactly know how important each component is to you.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
BGMcG View Drop Down

Quote BGMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 9:24am
Thank you both for your quick response and recommendations.

Case:  the HAFX seems to be a good choice, but it's too tall for the space available.  Also, this will be in an office, so we are looking for something a bit more "subtle" in appearance.  Noise level is also a major consideration.  Would either the Corsair Obsidian 650D or Graphite 600T be a reasonable compromise?  Both have more cooling capability than the 550 in my original config and a bit more space for expansion.

CPU:  Doing some more research about the 3930 it seems there is concensus that it is the better choice for video editing.  Would the benefits be as significant for image editing (PhotoShop)?  My take on the 3930 vx 3770 at this point is 2x cost, better suited to OC'ing, better performance for video/image editing, slightly worse for gaming but possibly better when games are able to take advantage of 6 cores, generally more future-proof.  Agree?

GPU:  the GTX670 does seem to have markedly better performance than the GTX570, but are those benefits only noticeable for gaming or would the difference be seen in my other applications as well?

kaldoot View Drop Down

Quote kaldoot Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:52am
Your take on 3930k is perfect. The games I play (skyrim, BF, COH etc.) are hardly able to use for 4 cores, forget about 6. So that was never an issue for me.

The only reason I suggested 670 is that it seems to be the best card of its generation (value for money) and it was within your budget
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 1:20pm
I am not entirely sure about the cases. That said:

The 3930 would be much faster for video editing, which will benefit from all six cores. The major goal from Nvidia in the 600 series was lower power consumption, and (because of the lower power consumption) you might see lower temperatures, although I am not sure about that one. The 670 also has an extra 800MB of vram, compared to the 570 that you were looking at. I would definitely recommend the 670 over that 570 with a two monitor setup, and if you care more about speed than cost, the 3930 would be a good idea.

Edited by Orange7 - 17 Jun 2012 at 1:22pm
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 1:41pm
I'm a little late to this discussion, but here are my thoughts...just another opinion.   I would go 3930 for your editing, the 550D case for size limitation and quiet and change cpu cooler to the stage 2, 240mm rad cooler and gtx 670.   The 240 mm rad will mount to the top with its two fans and solve the cases lack of fans on top. The550D case can't take the D14 anyways.    The gtx670 will be better for dual monitor and it exhausts most of its heat out the back of the case. Not sure what this does for the budget, not at my pc, so your call as always. Good luck.             Edit.....Taking kaldoot's and Orange7's great advice and my own little twist, take a look at Config #699950   Cost $2522 and see what ya think.    I can't cut and paste right now.

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Jun 2012 at 2:08pm
BGMcG View Drop Down

Quote BGMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 9:49pm
Interesting.  I would have expected that the configurator would not have allowed selection of incompatible components like you are saying about the 550D case and the Noctua cooler.  I also noticed that the Noctua website specifically says that the  Vengeance RAM will not work with NH-D14 due to interference between the fins and the cooler and it didn't stop me from doing that either.  I would really prefer to go with air cooling and the D14 appears to be the best available.  Would you happen to know if it fits in the 650D?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 3:59am
I'm pretty sure the D14 will fit the 650D.  I know for sure it will fit the 600T.  I agree with your desire to go air cooling, and I recommend it all the time.

Here's the other rub.  DS will tell you, at least they have with others getting back to us,  to go stage 2, 240mm cooler for the 3930k chip.  It's 6 cores generate more heat especially with oc'ing and the 240mm radiator is less effected by case temps from chipset, etc .  I would suggest you call them and ask about all this.  It does get a bit frustrating when the config doesn't blank out incompatible selections.

Ram clearance isn't a big issue in my opinion.  The interference is with the heat spreaders that mount and stick up higher on the ram stick.  Other ram sticks works just as good.

Hope this helps.

taw2015 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote taw2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:45pm
Adobe works with nVidia so their product line runs better than anyone elses. Take a look at this. <-- click

And LOTS more RAM will allow for big piccies to be handled easier -- and quicker. Games don't need too much, but Photoshop will glom onto anything it can find, and the more the merrier.

Edited by taw2015 - 18 Jun 2012 at 5:47pm
Learn history from the people who lived it via BBC Witness podcasts.
BGMcG View Drop Down

Quote BGMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 8:41pm
Thanks to everyone for the advice.  I think I'm almost ready to pull the trigger.  Went back to the appropriations committee and up'd the budget to $3K.  Here is the latest version, based on feedback here and several other threads...
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Corsair 650D
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Lingering questions:
Cooling:  Still struggling with Air vs Liquid. I've seen the NH-D14 as being more reliable than the Vortex 240 liquid cooler, but others have noted the benefit of the liquid cooler is that it moves the heat out of the case and generally achieves lower CPU temps.  Does this come down to reliability vs performance?  I one option clearly quieter than the other?

PSU:  General consensus seems to be that the 750HX is adequate but have seen comments that it might be wise to go to the 1050HX for future-proofing.  Is there a downside to the larger PSU other than cost?

SSD:  I've seen a lot of recommendations to go with the 180GB but 120GB seems to be 2X the space I need for Windows, Office, Photoshop, Lightroom, my stock market stuff and a few games.  Am I missing something?

RAM:  I know others will advise going with the DS-branded memory to save some money. Chalk this up to a mental block, I guess.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Orange7 View Drop Down

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 5:44am
Cooling: Don't know.

PSU: Generally, future-proofing in that sense refers to when the graphics cards are upgraded, because they consume a huge amount of power. Unless you plan on going triple SLI in the future, you don't need to upgrade.

SSD: If you have a 1TB secondary drive, you do not need to increase the capacity of your primary drive.

RAM: It is cheaper, with just about (if not exactly) the same performance. Upgrading it wouldn't be worth the cost if the price difference were half of what it actually is.

Edited by Orange7 - 09 Jul 2012 at 5:44am
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:20am
For the cooling question, DS will tell you, at least they have with others, that the Vortex 240mm rad is needed for the 3930k chip oc'd.  So that is probably one less decision you need to make.

The D14 and Vortex both cool about the same, the rad maybe a bit better with the 6 core cpu.  The d14 is very quiet and the Vortex 240 is also from others comments.  I'm not sure what speed the fans on the rad spin at, but if its comparable to the H100's medium speed then it also is quiet.  

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:42am
Hi BGMcG,

I am late to the party but let me toss in a monkey wrench into the mix.

You state that you will be moving to CS6 and the information you have received was true to the currant CS6. However, Adobe has changed the latest issue of CS6 to be more graphics dependent. Both CS6 and Premiere Pro CS6 have the Mercury Graphics Engine. If I was building a photo computer now I would go with more graphics.

I don't have time to go in to it right now. You should get Adobe's recommendations before you proceed. I suggest you get a copy of PC World magazine. It has an article on the new Adobe programs.

Wife is calling.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 09 Jul 2012 at 1:20pm
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 11:21am
Hi BGMcG,

Just to follow up on FrankW's comment here is a pretty good summary from Adobe about the use of graphics cards by CS6. One point in particular to take note of is the Adobe's new Mercury Graphics Engine uses Open CL/GL and does not support CUDA. NVIDIA  made a design decision in their new Kepler cards to limit compute support and those cards have poor Open CL/GL performance. If your major use is going to be photo editing (not video editing which still does use CUDA) either one of the new AMD cards or an older FERMI NVIDIA card would be the best choice.

Marty
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 2:08pm
Hi Martys,

Thanks for that link. From what I have read the GPU doesn't do everything and a strong CPU is still needed. Is that your understanding? I also would think that you still need a lot of RAM for manipulating big files or has that requirement changed?    

BGMcG, I think that the ball game has changed and you need to rethink your build before you pull the trigger. According to the Adobe link you would be better off with the ADM 7950 or 7970. My choice would be 7970.   You also need to think about more RAM now or in the future. I don't know about the new CS6 but the last one needed 32Gb of memory to prevent calls on your HDD.

Frank
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 4:09pm
Hi FrankW,

You're correct. The application of the GPU for acceleration in CS6 is still pretty limited, and is mostly used by some of the filters, although for those,  the impact can be dramatic. But for sure the CPU and sufficient memory are in general far more important. For good performance enough memory is required to avoid using the scratch disk which will dramatically slow things down (and I mean dramatically!). Minimum requirement these day is 8 GB but, depending on usage, for many folks 16 GB is preferable. I started at 8 and went to 16 substantially improving thruput. And I know some people's work requires 32 GB, but for most that's overkill.

BGMcG, you might want to take a look at some of the GPU reviews in Anandtech and Tom's paying attention to the Open GL/CL benchmarks for picking the GPU. If budget is an issue you might be able to get away with a less powerful/expensive GPU, like a 7850, depending on how much and what kind of gaming you do. In my mind the new AMD cards are better buys than the older NVIDIA Fermi cards as they use much less power and generate substantially less heat.

Marty
BGMcG View Drop Down

Quote BGMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 7:53pm
I am really impressed by the level of knowledge here and people's willingness to share it.  It seems like I've opened up a real can of worms now.  I guess I need to decide how likely it is that I will go to CS6 anytime soon, or if I should just go with LR4, which appears to not utilize the GPU and seems to be more user friendly than CS6.   It seems the only complaint is that it runs much slower than LR3.  Any thoughts as to whether or not my suggested config would be up to the challenge?
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 8:08pm
Sorry, I'm late, as usual.

I wanted to address one of the other things mentioned.

No, you are not crazy for coming to this "Porsche" dealer - because this dealer gives you the true Friend and Family plan, aka - a machine tailored to your wants and needs, not the most money they can line in a pocket.

So go ahead, take this Dodge Omni that drives like a Porsche for a spin - you can use my keys.  You won't regret it.

Xii

EDIT - Oh and I love CS6 - Im new to it (in general) and find it easy to pick up.  Tons of resources online.

Edited by xii - 09 Jul 2012 at 8:12pm
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2012 at 10:15pm
BGMcG,

The causes of the decreased responsiveness of LR4 are still a little unclear as some users experience it while others don't, even with similar hardware. For sure the new algorithms in the Develop Module of LR4, which are the same as those in ACR7, are more compute intensive than those in LR3, but they don't appear to be the major reason for slowdowns. In any case a 3930K is about as speedy as it gets (the 3960K is only slightly faster), and the 3770K is no slouch.

If you go with LR4 here are Adobe suggestions on how to optimize performance.

Marty
taw2015 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote taw2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 3:59pm
120gb SSD isn't enough for all the stuff you want. 120gb formatted PLUS Win7Pro will leave enough for PS & LR & Office, and then you'll need to stick everything else out on the HD.

What are your games? Win7Home PLUS Battlefield 3 doesn't leave much for anything else; I'll need a second SSD to add the other shooters I have, not to mention the IL2 Sturmovik series and other flight sims stuff.

And I also run Office & PS & LR -- off the HD, as these don't have to run too fast.
Learn history from the people who lived it via BBC Witness podcasts.
BGMcG View Drop Down

Quote BGMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:54am
Finger is on the trigger.  Thanks to advice received here, the almost-final configuration is listed below. I've bumped the PSU up to the 1050W to cover me in the unlikely event I will want to add another video card, and the SSD up to 180GB.   I dialed back the OC to Stage 1 with the hope that this would be reduce the risk of stability problems, and with that change went back to the Noctua air cooler.  Finally, I went with the Radeon HD7870 to save a few bucks based on my understanding that it would be a respectable game player (a plus but not a big priority for me) and that Photoshop would not noticeably benefit from the 7970.  
So if you wouldn't mind, how about one last round of comments?
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair 650D
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Video Card(s): 1x AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Recovery Tools: Advanced Recovery Kit (40GB Hard Drive Partition of Image With OS & Drivers)
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:17am
What I think is - you got a nice system there.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:38am
I second what xii said. 
I would however drop the Advanced Recovery kit.  The 40 Gb partition is nice and fast, unless you lose the drive, then I don't believe you'd have any discs to fall back on. 

Looks good. Big%20Smile
Martys View Drop Down

Quote Martys Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 4:53pm
+3. Should be a great system!
BGMcG View Drop Down

Quote BGMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 11:27pm
Order placed!  Big%20Smile 
In the end I switched to the DS RAM after finding out that the Corsair DHX wouldn't work with the Noctua cooler (according to the Noctua website) and bumped it up to 32GB as a few of you recommended.  Compared to my original config, every component changed except the hard drives and the cooler, and I believe I ended up with a system that is much better suited to my needs thanks to input from you all.  Special props to bprat22 - not only for your input here but on the dozens of other threads that answered questions that I would not have thought to ask.  You should be on the DS payroll - really!! 

Here's the final final version that came in at $3005...

Chassis Model: Corsair 650D
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz Digital Storm Certified
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State Intel 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: ASUS Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Model: BC-12B1ST)
Video Card(s):
1x AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 10:28am
Congrats on a real nice rig. Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply