FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on <$5k build

Post Date: 2015-08-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mersh21 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mersh21 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice on <$5k build
    Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:06pm
Budget:

I want a system that can play Planetside 2 (still cpu taxing) on Ultra everything on a 4k/144hz monitor (havent picked one out yet-suggestions?), without ever dipping below 100fps. I also want it to run Star Citizen, The Division, and other such future games with all settings maxed.

I have a Harker that I've been in love with but now that I'm going to be more settled (with work travel) I want to get a new desktop since I gave my old one to my dad. I love digital storm and below is what I have so far picked out, but the great thing about DS is also its weakness, there are SO many options!! I would like some help getting the performance I want without needlessly wasting money but still sparing no expense for longevity (if that makes sense, I've worked hard to get to where I can afford such a budget).

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (BACKORDERED ETA Mid-September)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only)
H20 Tube Color: Red Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled LED Lighting System (Multiple color options and lighting effects)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Again its solely for high end gaming where even my harker can get bogged down to sub 60 fps. I don't do any video editing or store movies, so maybe even just stick with one 500gb SSD? Liquid or Air Cool??

This is what I put together from reading previous threads..

Thanks guys!

Edited by mersh21 - 25 Aug 2015 at 2:12pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:24pm
there is no existing tech that can achieve what your desire, come back in 5 years or soWink

seriously, 4k won't be here solid (that includes monitor advances and comp components advances) for another couple of years.  there is no single gpu card solution that can achieve steady, 60 fps+, stutter-free, dropped frames-free, game play at that resolution.  sli is unreliable, has its limitations and is too developer dependent for inclusion and optimization within each individual game.  4k monitor refresh rate is garbage compared to 1080p and 1440p tech currently. 

depressed yet? 

now for more realistic expectations: you can still achieve a pleasurable gaming experience with the right 1440p monitor+I7 based comp with either a single or sli GTX 980ti on board.  for me, that monitor would be a g-sync/ULMB featured IPS with a high refresh (north of 100Hz) rate 27-inch plus (like the Acer XB270HU).

as for your build, you don't need 32GB of ram for gaming, 16GB is more than enough and you'll be fine with the base line offering (2666mhz) from DS.  i'd also probably go for higher capacity ssd storage for storing a large library of games, but maybe that's just me.   

Edited by db188 - 25 Aug 2015 at 2:30pm
mersh21 View Drop Down

Quote mersh21 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 2:39pm
I know those were lofty expectations, and I didn't know if 4k was being taken seriously yet or not

Thank you, so 1440p/100hz+ for a monitor, got it, namely that Acer one you mentioned.

I see what youre saying about the RAM, and for the SSD, I Figured having all Steam games on one drive, and all non-steam games on the other, so thats why I picked 2 512's since they are cheaper than going to a 1.2 tb ssd

Edited by mersh21 - 25 Aug 2015 at 2:42pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by mersh21

I know those were lofty expectations, and I didn't know if 4k was being taken seriously yet or not

Thank you, so 1440p/100hz+ for a monitor, got it, namely that Acer one you mentioned.

I see what youre saying about the RAM, and for the SSD, I Figured having all Steam games on one drive, and all non-steam games on the other, so thats why I picked 2 512's since they are cheaper than going to a 1.2 tb ssd
what the industry really needs is a new tech to replace archaic sli/xfire. 

i'm looking to buy the Acer Predator X34 ultra-wide 21:9 g-sync version myself when they launch it in October-ish.  it's been rumored to have a 100-ish refresh rate.  the free-sync version that's out now refreshes at 85hz.

i get what you were thinking with the storage.  my thoughts are that the OS+most of your favorite and current games should go on the ssd, while all other data and old games you don't want to delete are perfectly fine on a high capacity, cheaper, HDD.  if you don't want to spend the money for a 1tb ssd (although the EVO is only $6 more than 500mb PRO and it's not like you're going to notice the performance difference as a gamer), you can go with the smaller capacity ssd+high capacity HDD and be fine. 

the new OS makes moving files between drives a lot more flexible and easy from what i've read.

Edited by db188 - 25 Aug 2015 at 5:05pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 7:49pm
SLI is going away next year with the introduction of NVLink in Pascal.

G-Sync is now doomed with Intel now supporting FreeSync. As the integrated GPUs become more powerful and begin to compete with the mid-range NVIDIA and AMD cards (there will essentially be no point for those discrete cards with the GPUs integrated in and coming with the processors), NVIDIA and AMD will suffer from large decreases in market size and Intel will dictate standards like this.

If you're going to go with the Hailstorm, it's best to have the Hydrolux cooling on everything, as that is what the extra radiator space provides the cooling for. So, you should get the Hydrolux level 3, with cooling on both of the GPUs. Also, you should bump up the GPUs to the ASUS Strix cards, as they have a hefty factory overclock to begin with, as well as better power components on the PCB.

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1269517
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Hailstorm II Edition
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 3: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Video Cards + CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (FREE Upgrade to Windows 10)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

If you don't want to go full water cooled, I'd suggest getting a chassis like the Velox, which has much better ventilation over the GPUs.

Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1269520
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (FREE Upgrade to Windows 10)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
mersh21 View Drop Down

Quote mersh21 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2015 at 6:20am
After talking with some other people, I'm probably going to drop out of the SLI and drop down to 16gb RAM and probably drop to a cheaper case without liquid cooling as it would become unnecessary. Also Im looking at an Acer XB270HU.

I also like the idea of just a single 1tb EVO SSD, and will probably consider going up to the Strix card
 Post Reply Post Reply