Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aich Shaoden View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Almost Ready to Buy
    Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:04pm
Hi,
I have been researching a new Gaming rig for a few months now, mainly to play/try Vanguard:SoH, and Age of Conan.
Being a Eq1/Eq2 vet of 7 years, I am in need for some MMO gamage!!.

I was set on buying frm cyberpowerpc as there prices are low, but I am also into quality. I have known about this site for a while, but never took the time to poke around, and spending only a day, I feel like I have found my company. I called DS eariler today to ask about military discount and it took less then 30 seconds to talk to a real life person I could understand!! First impression, outstanding, even though they dont offer military discounts :(

Here's my rig, I am looking for opinions, power supply options and cooling as I will be doing the OCin option on my CPU. Also, the tweak windows option, can anyone clarify on what they do, as they claim they already do a clean windows install. Also, all the screenshots I see posted they have eVGA vid cards, is that the normal card used by DS.

Thanks!!
-- Aich Shaoden

Copy of Specifications:

Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,966.00

Case: Digital Storm 850Si (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz (1333MHz FSB) (12MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 780i Core 2 Quad (nForce 780i SLI)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Floppy / Card: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: Setup hard drive 1 and hard drive 2 in a Raid 0 Stripe Configuration (Expert)
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (nVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Blue Cables)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Overclock Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Overclock Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Edited by Aich Shaoden - 22 May 2008 at 3:07pm
Wallyguitar View Drop Down

Quote Wallyguitar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:50pm

I've always followed the rule:  Faster Ram > More Ram... 

Thus why I went with 2GB 1066mhz Ram instead of 4GB of 800mhz.  The way I look at it is: 2 highways, one is 2 lanes the other 4 lanes.  The 2 lane highway has a max speed of 100mph but the 4 lane highway speed limit is only 80mph.  Granted I've only got 2 lanes to choose from now, who cares, I'm going 100mph!!!  20% faster Thumbs%20Up

And yeah, I would have liked a military discount too!  <12 years active USAF>

Click pic to see config

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 3:55pm
Was thinking of going with the OC ram option., get some cool fans on it lol .
I'm in the AF National Guard, and currently overseas, so want to buy a rig within next week before I go home.

Edited by Aich Shaoden - 22 May 2008 at 3:56pm

Quote Wallyguitar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Aich Shaoden

I'm in the AF National Guard, and currently overseas, so want to buy a rig within next week before I go home.

I did the same thing... Currently deployed to Manas Kyrgyzstan.

Click pic to see config
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 May 2008 at 5:23pm
Make sure when you order in the little extra details box (or tell them if you order by phone) that you request specificly EVGA graphic cards. They say they use 99% evga, but itd suck if you wanted to use step up and you end up in that 1%. I forgot to request that with my computer, so im kinda nervous that i might get the 1% screw job haha!.

Also keep in mind that the enchanced airflow cables are only used for CD/DVD drives, and you have only one, so youll be paying that much for basically one cable within your computer. Also you may want to consider OC the timing on the ram along with your CPU overclock, you should see better results with that instead of just one or the other.

If your somewhat good at upgrading computers, you may want to hold off on a sound card and give the mobo sound a chance, I know it takes up a bit of processor power, but its extremely tiny (0.05 or less% last i checked), plus mobo sound has improved a lot since the early days so ive heard. So it maybe worth the cash to give it a shot, if you dont like it you could always buy a sound card and install it yourself.

Other then that everything else looks good. Nice CPU, i considered a quad, but i went with a dual because they are slightly faster in games NOW, plus they generate less heat and use up less energy. I wont use my computer for anything else but hardcore gaming/internet so ill probably never have much use for a quad.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 4:19am
What if you are running the game playing a couple characters at a time :)
WOuld dual work better then I wounder.

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 6:39am

Ok, I redid some of the specs and need to know if Stage 3 air cooling will be sufficient, I believe it will be. Also considering of changing from Raid 0 to 150gb raptor 10k drive. This pc will be for gaming.

Copy of Specifications:
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Card: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: 250GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: Setup hard drive 1 and hard drive 2 in a Raid 0 Stripe Configuration (Expert)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 3 WindTunnel (Copper Heatpipe Heatsink & Zalman Case Fans)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Black Cables)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Overclock Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Corsair Dominator Airflow Fan Upgrade)
Tweak Windows: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Mouse: - No Thanks

Edited by Aich Shaoden - 23 May 2008 at 7:10am
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:16am
I dont think itd matter because the program would have to be programed to use all those cores. Maybe itd help with multitasking if you got a crap load of stuff running in the background and such. I dont know howd it work if you had multiple programs running of the same game when its programed only to use 1 or 2 cores.
E8500@ 4.03Ghz
XFX 790i Ultra
1000W Corsair HX
2 280 GTX EVGA FTW
4GB OCZ Reaper 1800Mhz
250-80-300GB VR HD
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers
Asus Xonar 7.1
Hanns-G HG 281D 28" HDMI Monitor
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:28am
how big is the monitor(s) you are planning to use? i think you could save yourself a lot of hassle by steering clear of SLI unless you plan to game on an extremely oversized monitor

drop the increased airflow option and move your optical drive to lightscribe, then both your HDDs and your optical will be SATA, and you will have no need for the airflow option.

ill always be against sli and more than one HDD, but id say that the system looks pretty solid overall, i love the processor/ram

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 May 2008 at 7:39am
Will be using my 37" HDTV mainly and a projector when I get one :)
More tweakage, I'm planning on buying Monday if I get the config right.

Since I have the Corsair Dominator Ram, does that com with the upgraded fans, do I even need the OCin options, I mainly want the extra fans on Ram chips. 
Anyone know is DS offers the new 300gb velioraptor?
Waiting till they open to call. I need more space then 150gb. Three games would eat that up.

Copy of Specifications:
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Floppy / Card: 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: - No Thanks
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables (Black Cables)
Overclock Memory: Yes, Overclock memory timings (Includes Corsair Dominator Airflow Fan Upgrade)
Tweak Windows: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Edited by Aich Shaoden - 23 May 2008 at 9:47am

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 5:49am
Ok, I think this is my last re-build.
I called DSO and the 300gb Velicoiraptor will be out June 15 but I'm not waiting that long to order so will get to 7,200 in raid 0 for time being, will be good enough.

Any errors for suggestions, post a reply thanks, I plan on ordering Monday!

Copy of Specifications:
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Floppy / Card: 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: 160GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: 160GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 5:55am
Originally posted by Wallyguitar

Ever heard of Qatar.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 9:53am
post a link!!!!!!Smile  (posting)

looks lovely overall, id suggest dropping the enhanced airflow and spending that on going up to lightscribe, with all of your off-mobo peices being SATA connections, increased airflow option will not do anything

if you are getting a sound card, go X-Fi or nothing, the little audigy card wouldnt do anything more than the onboard sound as it does not have a seperate APU.

only other thing ( this is obviously not important) but 160gb is pretty low these days, possibly consider no raid or adding a storage drive

Edited by !ender_ - 24 May 2008 at 9:54am

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 May 2008 at 10:18am

New config

Well, I have a 500gb External drive and will have network storage drive on my server, and I have other computers, this is just going to be for gaming. Thanks about the sound card, thats the main reaosn why i was getting one for to take the load off the main CPU(even though it is a quad lol) I'll have to add that lightscribe/better sound card. gonna push the machine to around 3200 tho.

I really dont think Raid 0 will help that much over a raptor drive for gaming, i want to get one of those 300gb new raptors, so do you think I should just get a 250gb 7200 drive and wait or go raid 0.
One more thing, the PSU, is 1000w overkill, would a 720w be better, will save me 100 bucks. Thats one of the things I should call and ask about.

Thanks

Edited by Aich Shaoden - 24 May 2008 at 10:30am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 8:05am
i love it, almost the exact same config i just put together for my cousin who just purchased (applause) my only two bits of personal advice:

i will always be a penny pincher, but i think that if you are trying to hold out for a new raptor, just stick with the 7200 for a few months and wait for the release price to calm down. alternatively, if you have the external storage, you could save yourself some trouble in the long run by going with the 150 raptor now and just being strict with your space consumption (not to confuse you any more, but if you do stick with 7200, get 320, its 7 gigs more for 11 bucks)

id say you will need 1000, but definatly ask a DSO rep about that. i would also ask them for personal suggestions on running to an HDTV as your main monitor, i know nothing about that type of set up

Quote Wallyguitar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 8:22am

Originally posted by Wallyguitar

Ever heard of Qatar.

Yep, I was in IUD last year for 120 days.

Click pic to see config

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 8:23am
Well here's another issue, say I wait and get a new raptor, if I change the system config, does that void the warrenty. I think, I'll go with raid 0 two 160gb 7200, thats 320gb for games only. Vista premium is like 8gb so.
raid 0 will be plenty good enough for playing MMOs, I just want loading speeds when access the HDD, and raid0 0 will do it just fine. Plus I'm pushing 3 grand lol.

But yea, I'm gonna order Monday prolly unless there open today so I can call and get some warrenty questions answered.

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 10:58am
What happens if you order on a weekend, do they email or something Monday?

Quote Wallyguitar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 11:19am
Monday is Memorial Day, you probably won't get any updates until Tuesday.  Except for maybe an auto-email confirming that you just spent $4000 on a GREAT computer.

Click pic to see config

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 11:29am

Reguarding the warranty, does that cover the OCin, I been trying to search the forum but no luck. Basicaly if they OC it and it fries later, its covered is what I am asking.

Thanks for all the help also btw folks!
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 12:11pm
Overclocking done by Digital Storm is covered in the 3 year warranty (4 if you purchased it).
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
CR4ZYT0M View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote CR4ZYT0M Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 12:15pm
Yes, if they do the OC for you then it is covered by the warranty. And as !ender said, that does look alot like my config, just ordered last week Big%20smile cant wait for it to get here
850Si Case
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz
4GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator DHX
nVidia GeForce 9800GTX 512MB
X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
Air Cooled Stage 3

Graphic version coming soon

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 12:46pm
Well, I just ordered this!!

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=152032

Sub-Total: $3,205.00

Tax: $0.00

S&H: 3-Day Air $122.00

Grand Total: $3,327.00

I get home in 2 weeks so maybe I'll beat it there.
I got the OCin on he 1066 MHz Ram, mainly wanted the fans on it, so hoping it woun't fry and boot up like its suspost to!!.

Edited by Aich Shaoden - 25 May 2008 at 1:18pm
Ordered: May 25 | Shipped: Jun 20 | Business Day: 19
850Si 1000W Corsair
Q9450 OC - 790i
4GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz + Fan Upgrade
250GB WD(7200) Air Stage 3
eVGA 9800GTX SLI
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:39pm
to sort of answer your question about warranty, if you change anything that causes / is related to the problem its your problem, if its something they did, they take responsibility

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 May 2008 at 1:41pm
Yea, I prolly wount change anything if the pc runs right.
850Si 1000W Corsair
Q9450 OC - 790i
eVGA 9800GTX SLI

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 7:31pm
So hopefully it will ship tomorrow or today and it gets here in one piece!!

Must....have....MMORPG............
850Si 1000W Corsair
Q9450 OC - 790i
eVGA 9800GTX SLI

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2008 at 10:51pm
Its shipped!
Approx delivery is June 25, one month since ordering lol
850Si 1000W Corsair
Q9450 OC - 790i
eVGA 9800GTX SLI

Quote Aich Shaoden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 4:23pm
Its in my city, I wounder if it will be delivered today!
850Si 1000W Corsair
Q9450 OC - 790i
eVGA 9800GTX SLI
 Post Reply Post Reply