AMD 45nm on AM2+ by end of 2008.

Post Date: 2008-09-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Online Status: Offline
  Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: AMD 45nm on AM2+ by end of 2008.
    Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 9:52am
AMD is planning to launch two quad-core 45nm CPUs by the end of this year, however the two CPUs will both adopt its Socket AM2+ instead of the originally planned AM3. The two CPUs will feature core frequencies between 2.6-3GHz and a TDP of 125W. Since they are just transitional products marking AMD's entrance into 45nm generation production, they will be phased out of the market by May or June next year.

AMD will also launch 45nm triple-core CPUs codenamed Rana in the second quarter of 2009. These chips will not include L3 cache.

45nm AM3-based CPUs will be launched in the early January next year. AMD is planning to launch four quad-core CPUs, two Deneb and two Propus core. In the second quarter next year, the company will launch a quad-core Deneb processor with higher frequency to replace the transitional AM2+-based CPUs.

The company will also launch two energy-efficient 45nm quad-core Propus CPUs mainly targeting the mini PC segment.
digitimes
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
david5182 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote david5182 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 10:18am
I wonder how does the green team plan on competing with Nehalem.
Mike View Drop Down

Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 1:23pm
cant wait for that :D
#TeamneXGen
#ElectrifyServers
Kelly View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 1:34pm
There will be no competition with Nehalem... you'll see. Nehalem is going to be the MX series of Intel
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 1:57pm
If the interim 45nm quad cores are going to be up to 3GHz, perhaps the denebs will actually offer some serious OCs as have been reported. This will be good for the consumer as we can actually have a choice, rather than have the only option of Intel for performance cpus. Actually, with the newest AMD chipsets, the BE phenoms have been getting OCs over 3GHz.

Originally posted by Kelly

There will be no competition with Nehalem... you'll see. Nehalem is going to be the MX series of Intel

I think AMD isn't going to seriously try to compete directly with Nehalem. They seem to be focusing more on performance on one side and energy saving on the other. I think they've seen how much it hurts overall business to forget the performance market. It may be small, but the rest of the market takes notice. What's the MX series of Intel, BTW? LOL
Kelly View Drop Down

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 2:22pm
Nvidia's MX series cards... nearly caused them to go bankrupt. They were a joke.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 2:53pm
Kelly if the chip ocs to over 4GHz just on air, how do you figure its gonna be a flop?

Intel is no nvidia
Kelly View Drop Down

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 2:57pm
Dude, my QX9650 Oc's to 4 on air. Not much more, but I can get to 4. And stable.

But, this debate is closed. Just mark my words, Nehalem will come out and it will be out performed by the current 775's.

I am now done with this topic.

Edited by Kelly - 10 Sep 2008 at 3:01pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 3:01pm
Ok time will tel Don't forget you told me it tool alot of tweaking and right part to get there for you

also the only lg775 chip we have seen here go to 3.8 was HM's system with liquid cooling.

I don't see no q9450 or 9550 anywhere near 3.8 without liquid cooling.

so if anything is going to compete it would only be the qx9770 and possibly qx9650 which are both extreme line.

I have yet to see any thing under qx9770 come close to 4.0GHz with air here.

Edited by DST4ME - 10 Sep 2008 at 3:24pm
Kelly View Drop Down

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 3:46pm
no, I told you it took me a lot of time and tweaking to get it at 4.7. Air was a simple vjump to 1.475, and changing the fsb to 1600 and the mult to 10. Not rocket science. Oh and max the fsb voltage out... (I forgot the exact amount).

Now, your argument is that Nehalem can get to 4 on air. I proved to you that my QX9650 gets there on air too. Whether or not any other CPU's (775) can or not, moot point. I was just proving your argument for Nehalem is not that big of a feat.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 3:56pm
my argument is that current systems can't reach 4.0GHz with only air, yours is the only one we know of on this forum. does anybody here have a system from DS that came close to 4.GHz with air and was not an extreme chip? not that I know of.

I don't see how just because you did what happens to every other person is a moot point?

Nehalem will OC better then penryn, with air or liquid, thats my argument, and it is a big feat.

the Mainstream desktop for Nehalem starts at 2.66GHz and will cost less.

now you think a penryn q9450 at 2.66GHz is gonna out perform or have the same results as a Nehalem Mainstream desktop chip at 2.66GHz? go ahead but you are dead wrong, the where we send out current chip with liquid cooling at 3.2 or 3.4, Nehalem will be able to provide that customer the same speed with air and higher speeds with liquid.

thats my argument, the customer will pay less and get more speed.

I guarantold you that, now sit back and watch.
Kelly View Drop Down

Quote Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 4:03pm
no one here would have a system from us because we don't push systems that high. This is my system that I built on my own. Not from DS.

Now take this argument to Xtremesystems.org... there are techs there with actual results.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 4:07pm
thats my argument, with nehalem you don't need to puch that hard and our customers here will get better speeds then they are with penryn.

if you want to go to XS we can but then first we would need nehalem chips to compare won't we
 Post Reply Post Reply