Post Date: 2015-06-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: AMD Fury X Launch today
    Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 7:35am
Anyone else curious about this?  They're streaming it at noon EDT.  Should be interesting how the Fury X matches up vs. the 980TI / Titan X.  Also, how the 2 different flavors of the Fury X (one water cooled the other air cooled) differ from one another and where the price point will be.  Also, as none of the Fury X were released in advance to the Press Outlets, it probably will be a day or two before the much needed benchmarks etc. are provided.  

Edited by Dax Doomslayer - 16 Jun 2015 at 7:38am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:30am
Well the Fury X goes on sale on the 24th of June for $649.  It looks like NVIDIA's pricing of the 980TI did have an impact as it was rumored that it would go for about $200 dollars more than that.  I'm really curious to see the performance bench marks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:39am
Benchmarks will tell it all. StrongBig%20Smile

Looks like a dual gpu Fury in the fall?      

Forget I said that.  You'll be waiting for the fall.  Hahaha       I kid.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 11:07am
Hah!!  Nope - not waiting until the fall - especially for a dual card but yes they mentioned that in the fall and the Fury Nano later.  I'm curious as to when the benches will come out.  It looks like a pretty strong card (although I tend to lean more toward NVIDIA, I have had both brands in the past).  It'll probably be one of those things where it's better at some things and not at others in comparison.  
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:47pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 5:16pm
C'mon Nav - spill the beans.  I know you have the goods!!  Hopefully there will be in depth comparison benchmarks in 4K and x2 and x3 SLI once you are able!!!  Crazy

Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 11:34am
This indicates the R9 Fury X beats the Titan-X and the 980 Ti up through 4k but is slower at higher resolutions.

--Smarmy
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:09pm
Yeah I saw that.  Synthetic benchmarks don't do anything for me.  I need to see gaming benchmarks.  The thing I am concerned about is in fact the slower at higher resolutions as I'll be going 4K eventually when the prices drop a little more. The 4GB VRAM even though it is HBM VRAM looks to possibly be the bottleneck...
Smarmy View Drop Down

Quote Smarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Dax Doomslayer

Yeah I saw that.  Synthetic benchmarks don't do anything for me.  I need to see gaming benchmarks.  The thing I am concerned about is in fact the slower at higher resolutions as I'll be going 4K eventually when the prices drop a little more. The 4GB VRAM even though it is HBM VRAM looks to possibly be the bottleneck...

I am hoping to do 4K eventually as well. If the synthetic benchmarks are valid, it does well for 4K just not any higher. Still, I'd rather have more memory.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 5:39pm
Once the embargo lifts, I think you guys will be surprised.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 6:46pm
Well that certainly piques my interest.  So Nav - when does the embargo lift?  Also, can you possibly get 3 of these in an Corsair Air 540 - lol?
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 1:47pm
Well, the AMD internal benchmarks have been released.  It looks like this card could be a little better than the 980TI.  However, until the embargo lifts (I guess that's on the 24th) and external sites bench marks, I will remain cautiously optimistic.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2015/06/18/amd-radeon-fury-x-benchmarks-full-specs-new-fiji-graphics-card-beats-nvidias-980-ti/

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 2:00pm
Thanks for the link.    And for keeping us updated.

AMD could have a winner on their hands. If so, it's been awhile. And not just for performance.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 2:39pm
I looked at the FPS on Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 at 4K on AnandTech with the GTX 980Ti. The FPS listed for the 980Ti on AnandTech are higher than those shown on the AMD comparison. So we still need to see some independent test. It does look like AMD has a good card in the Fury X considering cost and liquid cooling. Maybe not as good as the Titan X but for the price difference who cares. The real test will be who plays the best with DirectX 12 when Win-10 is released.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 18 Jun 2015 at 2:39pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 6:12pm
Definitely am waiting for independent bench marking - though  I think it will be a solid card which is good for all as competition is good (never could understand fan boys in that regard).  I'm also curious to see higher resolution benchmarks (is the 4GB HBM VRAM a limiting factor or not).  I'm not sure how I feel about the water cooled edition (though that would be the one I'd be drawn to if I go AMD).  Trying to crossfire 3 of them with the H110i I would think will limit the case one could use.  I'm wondering if the Air 540 could do that...
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 6:05am
Hi Dax Doomslayer,

I was thinking that the small fixed rad would be a problem in many computer cases. The length of the tubes on the Fury-X are pretty short. To bad we can't buy the Fury-X with the water block but no hose or rad. Then it could be incorporated into a normal LC loop if the water block has the correct connectors.

The pricing of the Furies should help to bring down NVIDIA prices.

Frank
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 4:31pm
Frank, please why so formal - call me "Dax" Hahaha.  Yes without really seeing the card 'in play', it does look like the length could be short - although I can't tell definitively.  For my purposes, having 4 AIOs in one case could very well make this moot anyway.  Also, I'm not digging how AMD is 'hand picking' the outlets to report on the benchmarks.  That tells me something there.  I think this will be a solid card but the more I'm seeing, it should be pretty close to the 980TI...
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 4:45pm
Dax, I think they are short due to the memory being stacked.

Frank
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 10:54am
Well the embargo is lifted and the results are coming in.  The Fury X looks to be a very competitive card.  It is as I thought about equal to the 980TI.  However, everything I'm seeing is that the 980TI is slightly better.  Where the Fury X has the edge is in temps and form factor.  Here's a few reviews of the bunches out there:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-review,1.html

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/84170-amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-4gb/

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2015/06/24/amd-radeon-r9-fury-x-review/1

Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 11:44am
Still a good card but unfortunately it hasn't quite lived up to the hype. Hopefully some driver tinkering will make the Fury a clear leader.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 1:14pm
The odd thing is that it's not overclocking well.  I don't know if it's because it's just released and some of the 3rd party software hasn't caught up or what but AMD said that this card should overclock like a beast and it's more like a domesticated cat...I think I'll be going with the 980Ti...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 2:13pm

...I think I'll be going with the 980Ti...

Yeah, that would be my pick. The Fury X is very innovative and really is a nice card but the 980ti performs at least as good and better,and you don't have to worry about the AIO cooler placement in multi card setups.

Just my thoughts.    
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 2:27pm
bprat22 makes a really good point. AMD should have made the coolant cables removable so the units could be ganged together with multiple GPUs in a normal LC loop. That card would be a really good buy with a LC water jacket all ready installed. Something like Swiftech did with their H220/H240 units.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 24 Jun 2015 at 2:27pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 2:56pm
EKWB is readying a water block for the Fury X.    With the cards single row of video ports, it'll be a single slot.

Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by bprat22

EKWB is readying a water block for the Fury X.    With the cards single row of video ports, it'll be a single slot.

It's going to look cute with 4 of these in XFfire with the short PCB length
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 4:04pm
Yeah, you can do a 5-way bitcoin mining rig with the X99 Deluxe board, or a 7-way on the X99E WS board.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 4:32pm
My only issue with x3 980Ti is heat as DS only uses the reference cards.  Also, I'm not thrilled there's no back plate either on the reference cards (allegedly done to keep heat down in x3 & x4 SLI situations).  I'm a bit paranoid about heat due to past issues...
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 4:34pm
If they start offering the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid, that might be your best solution.

It comes with a backplate:

Edited by  - 24 Jun 2015 at 4:36pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 5:03pm
i was worried about that 4GB vram limitation on the first incarnation of HBM and it's come back to bite AMD with this card.  this is THE flagship card for AMD and it underperforms compared to Nvidia's GTX 980ti.  i have no doubt that an 8GB second gen HBM Fury X would both warrant it's $650 price and sit at the top of the single card performance stack.  however, the way things stand with this card now it's price to performance just isn't there. 

the reason this card doesn't oc well is precisely related to the vram limitation.  there's really no need to worry about memory oc'ing because memory throughput is already speedy with HBM, which leaves oc'ing concerns with the gpu itself.  if these sites were to benchmark an oc'd GTX 980ti to an oc'd Fury X the performance differences would be magnified more than they currently are.  i don't think even mature drivers are going to do much for this card.  drivers won't magically increase vram limitations.  VRAM capacity bottlenecks can lower performance and power demand 

neither a GTX 980ti nor a Fury X are truly single card solutions for 4k (pleasurable) gaming performance.  image quality is just too inconsistent.  the problem for AMD is that this card doesn't come close to beating the GTX 980ti at 1440p!   

i'm honestly disappointed with the Fury X as a flagship single gpu.  looks like team green and a new g-sync monitor will be my new setup. 

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 5:05pm

My only issue with x3 980Ti is heat as DS only uses the reference cards.  Also, I'm not thrilled there's no back plate either on the reference cards (allegedly done to keep heat down in x3 & x4 SLI situations).  I'm a bit paranoid about heat due to past issues...
put those cards in a custom water loop and your good to go. 

Edited by db188 - 24 Jun 2015 at 5:05pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 5:13pm

The odd thing is that it's not overclocking well.  I don't know if it's because it's just released and some of the 3rd party software hasn't caught up or what but AMD said that this card should overclock like a beast and it's more like a domesticated cat...I think I'll be going with the 980Ti...
it's not driver issues, it's too little VRAM causing bottlenecking and limiting power to the gpu.  you can see it in the benchmarks whenever the highest of settings are used compared to lowering the settings.  system wattage actually decreases with HIGHER game settings, if you can believe that! 
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 11:41am
For those interested, we added the Fury X to the configurator.
funeralpyre88 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote funeralpyre88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 9:58am
Thats right! never bet on the red team! NVIDIA is the champion!
core i7-6700k @4.7 GHz
Predator 360 cpu&gpu
16 GB DDR4@2800 MHz
ASUS Z-170 PRO GAMING
256 GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO
500 GB SAMSUNG 850 EVO
GTX 980 TI ASUS STRIX
ACER XB270HU 2560x1440 @144 hz
 Post Reply Post Reply