FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anti virus protection?!

Post Date: 2016-08-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GungHo! View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GungHo! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Anti virus protection?!
    Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 8:59pm
Greetings, I was wondering if I can get some advice on which anti virus program or even firewall for Internet protection. I just ordered a Vanquish 5 and I understand it comes with McAfee plus for a year subscription. Would this be a good route or something like avg? I know it's all personal preference but I want to protect my new pc to its full potential. Thanks to all for any advice!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 11:13pm
First Congrats

second all of us will tell you not to use mcafee.

I have been using eset(Formerly nod32) for 10 years now and recommend it to anybody, light fast, easy to use.

Have a look here and get eset and there is a link there on how to set the options in it as well.

if you have questions let me know.
GungHo! View Drop Down

Quote GungHo! Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 11:39pm
Thank you that is awesome. I am still new at the forums and didn't click on the post that you made about a must have for new pcs... good stuff! Do you recommend buying the basic, 1 year subscription and just buy the newer version the next year, and do you suggest amazon or eset website. I'll ensure to post my new baby when she arrives! Thanks again for the advice.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 11:45pm
My pleasure and thank you for the kind words.

I would recommend you install the 30 day trial, use it for 2 or 3 weeks and then if you like it buy a two year license since it saves you a $30 over buying one each year.

Go through eset to get their license.

You get free updates to newer versions.

Again any questions let me know

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Aug 2016 at 11:47pm
Richieboy67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 2:35am
I haven't used an anti virus program in years beyond what windows provides. I do use Superanti spyware though for spyware stuff but I do not really think an anti virus scanner is needed these days. Most of my friends who are also web developers do not use an anti spyware program or virus scanner any longer.

If I was to use one again though I would grab one of the free ones like AVG or Avira.

Edited by Richieboy67 - 16 Aug 2016 at 5:55am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 2:53am
Avira is a good one but too many false positives:

windows defender is ok av itself.

Ya if you enable the windows av and firewall then you have your av and firewall there, it just happens to be with the os.

I personally enjoy the extras you get from a 3rd party software, the constant daily updates and the info on what and who is doing what. No false positives.

I guess at the end as long as you got something protecting you be it 3rd party or windows defender+firewall thats all that counts. The rest is personal preference I guess.

But ya avira is a good one too if you don't mind the false positives.

If you’re following common sense and other good security practices then you are good with windows av I suppose but I rather stick with what I know is the best.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 3:07am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:07am
Welcome and congrats, GungHo!   

There are some who will still use McAfee as it is lighter and more effective than in the past. But most that I've seen around here no longer use it. That doesn't mean it's bad, it is just one of many viable options.

Personally, I have had great success with avast! pro. in conjunction with malwarebytes, Superantispyware and the "must-have" CCleaner.

Remember, a regular cleaning schedule, physical and electronic, is a must.

Welcome to the DS family.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:10am
@Snaike at at last check (few months ago) mcafee was running over 8 processes vs 2 process of eset or other good avs, that is why we don't recommend it, plus its file scan does not score well at all as you see in my last post that I just updated. Now in all fairness those numbers do change from test to test.

Anybody wants to see a review of anti viruses have a look here , av comparatives is a respectable site for av testing

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 3:59am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:37am
@DST4ME my post did not recommend McAfee, said simply others use it. Also said "most around here no longer use it". Please do not be so quick to invalidate others' opinions. Thank you.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 3:47am
I was just sharing with you and readers why we don't recommend it, I never said you recommended it, just sharing info/facts not sure why you are taking that as invalidating.

Just providing test results from a reputable company for the op and the readers.

If you are referring to my test results I was adding those before you posted, once I added I saw you had posted while I was editing. They are not directed at you. Check the time you will see we posed at the same time.

But if you want to talk invalidating, then if there is info that needs to be invalidated by facts then I will definitely do that, tho that is not the case here.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 3:53am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:26am
Originally posted by DST4ME

But if you want to talk invalidating, then if there is info that needs to be invalidated by facts then I will definitely do that, tho that is not the case here.

Should you run across a post that lists erroneous facts, please feel free to debate them. We all appreciate the vast knowledge you bring to the forums along with your sources of information from all around the internet. It is very helpful to have these things brought to the discussions.

But remember, there is a large difference between FACT and OPINION. A fact debate can be informative and well-received. Opinion debates generally degrade very quickly.

Facts are facts, but opinions other than yours can still be valid. It is like my grandfather said to me 50some years ago.. "Everyone is different. That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla."

End hijack... returning to thread on AV protection.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:36am
If you follow what me/db/FO/bp and the rest are telling people you realize we are providing facts most of the times and not our opinion and we pride ourselves and this forum on that.

For example if somebody says you need a 1080gtx for 1080p you will see the people I just listed jump in and say "no" a 1060gtx is all you need, that for example is not our opinion, its a fact, now if you follow most of what we/I say on this forum you will find that it follows the same pattern, facts based on tests.

outside of those yes everyone is different, just keep in mind just because we are different it doesn't change the facts.

If one knows the info then one would know I'm providing facts 80%+ of the time. It is for this reason most times I provide some kind of a bench test or results with my info.

Now as far as chocolate an vanilla goes, if you look at this chart you will see that......

End hijack... returning to thread on AV protection.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 4:40am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:56am
You missed my point, and I apologize for not being more clear. It's not your facts (or db/bpratt/FO) to which I am referring. I have stated that those are welcome and useful numerous times. As a matter of fact the more intelligent, verifiable and cohesive facts brought to table the better it is for all concerned. In other words: Facts = good thing.

My point was that we should allow other users to state their opinions (notice, not facts) and we need to learn to distinguish between the two.

For example:
"I like vanilla ice cream."
"No, you should eat chocolate. Chocolate has a naturally rich yet bitter taste. It contains caffeine and a number of other antioxidants and have been cultivated for centuries. These graphs show that antioxidants in chocolate are far better for you.

Graph one, graph two, etc"

I know, silly comparison and mostly given for a laugh, but the point is still valid.

My last line on the matter is this: There is a difference.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:09am
I understand your point Sanike but pc parts are like 2+2=4, in other words you can't say you are on a budget and want to save money but at the same time you want a titan for 1080p.

While we may disagree on things facts stay the facts, and if one's opinion is not in line with facts then that person is not going to like me db/bpratt/FO cause we are going to point that out with charts.

I think what I'm not explaining correctly is this:

lets use your example:

you like vanilla Ice cream.

I come by and say "if you like ice cream I would go with chocolate due to its antioxidants"

now another person jumps in that is not so well informed and says "no there is no difference go with what you want"

Now I will jump in and say "hey chocolate has antioxidants, here are the charts/tests/facts"

Now at this point you say "I see, antioxidants are great but I just don't like chocolate"

and I will say, "I understand you have to go with what you like as long as you understand you are missing out on the antioxidants", "if so then by all means you got to get what you like"

now if you or the other person or anybody else wants to jump in and say no there is no difference or say something that is not in line with the facts. I/we will jump in and correct them.

I don't have a problem if you like vanilla, my job here is to inform of the facts (chocolate has antioxidants) and then from there you make up your mind and go with what you like.

what I will not do is sit there and have the op or anybody say that vanilla and chocolate have the same amount of antioxidants.

I hope that makes how I do it clear now.

and this chart shows I'm right

I hope you appreciate that chart took a lot of time

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 5:36am
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:47am
Question - if i forget to choose none for the AV and i got the mcaffee, is it really hard to entirely remove it from my computer? quick googling seems like simply going to control panel and removing it is not enough (i will be getting win 10). seems like i have to download some kind of a program?

and do i delete said program afterwards? man this is crazy
Number of DS rig owned: 2
Richieboy67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Richieboy67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:58am
Do not stress about an anti virus. It really is not necessary. Just be sure to download from decent sites and know what you are opening and that includes emails. Windows defender should catch most anything anyways.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 5:59am
Originally posted by darbebo

Question - if i forget to choose none for the AV and i got the mcaffee, is it really hard to entirely remove it from my computer? quick googling seems like simply going to control panel and removing it is not enough (i will be getting win 10). seems like i have to download some kind of a program?

It does not come installed on your pc if I'm not mistaken you have to install it. otherwise mcafee can be difficult to remove all of its parts but don't worry if it comes to that we can help you.

but simply contact them and tell them you don't want it installed if they do install it.

[email protected]

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 6:00am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:09am
Originally posted by darbebo

What you'll find with DS is a COMPLETE lack of bloatware. You, should you decide, will have to install the McAfee or whatever on your own. One of the may perks with dealing with DS.

The first order of business when getting the machine is upgrading the OS, second would be AV, then you're good to go.

(PS to DST4ME,    )
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:13am
Thanks for the info Snaike,

I see you like the chart

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Aug 2016 at 6:14am
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:39pm
I use McAfee.  On occasion, someone will give me a file on their USB Flashdrive and it has a virus/trojan on it.  A certain Trojan does not affect Mac computers but will affect my Windows computer.  So I have to be careful if I get a file from someone who uses a Mac.  McAfee catches this Trojan every time, quarantines it and allows me to use the "now uninfected" file.

I stopped using Norton long ago (even though Peter Norton's Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC was a great book, eh?).  I may also stop using McAfee but for now, McAfee does the job I need.  The only downside for me is McAfee's yearly renewal fee.  There are anti-virus programs out there that are free.

Edited by forrest74 - 16 Aug 2016 at 10:43pm
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 6:17am
I have been using Kaspersky internet security for 3 years. I do visit some sites that can be considered questionable with respect to security and have not been crushed by any viruses as of yet. I keep a cloned drive on hand just in case.

BTW I've always heard bad things about McAfee too. Whether or not this is accurate is unknown. I chose not to use it because I never use programs like this that come bundled with other stuff. Hardly a scientific reason to be sure.

Edited by Alci - 31 Aug 2016 at 6:18am
Azjohnny View Drop Down

Quote Azjohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2016 at 7:13pm
I have used Avast for about 3 years, it's free and have had no issues
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 11:43pm
This came across a news feed I follow. Basically, all of these third-party AV programs make your system more vulnerable and the recommendation is to just use the built-in Windows Defender protection.

http://robert.ocallahan.org/2017/01/disable-your-antivirus-software-except.html
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2017 at 3:05am
The consumer, myself included, have been brainwashed into needing the av software.   I always thought that just what MS offered might do it, but have never seen proof or recommendation to do it.    Since my av is free through Comcast, I have been a little lazy in doing the research.     

Thanks for the info that might get me looking into it.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The consumer, myself included, have been brainwashed into needing the av software.   I always thought that just what MS offered might do it, but have never seen proof or recommendation to do it.    Since my av is free through Comcast, I have been a little lazy in doing the research.     

Thanks for the info that might get me looking into it.

From what I've read in the article, I think its bad advice and doesn't apply to the average computer users, who, having less-than-elementary knowledge of computers in general, simply expect their machine to work for browsing, gaming, etc., without having to deal with troubleshooting software/hardware, etc. I've never had a problem with malware in all the time I've been on the net that required cleaning, reinstalling from backups, etc., and consider myself both cautious and lucky. Nevertheless, I've encountered it often enough to know that even by avoiding high risk behavior, simply relying on the OS's own security suite wouldn't cut it. You can have your system locked up tighter than the Pope's behind, and if someone is determined to get through, they will get through.

"Whoa, ah, mercy mercy me
Oh things ain't what they used to be, no no"
-Marvin Gaye - Mercy, Mercy Me

"They paved over the code
And put up a friggin bot"
-Counting Codes - A Brainy Fellow Hacked Me

Things are changing for sure as we sacrifice security for convenience and higher "efficiency".
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/air-conditioner-hack/

Despite the obvious threats, this trend in abject stupidity by society and our intelligence agencies continues where more and more devices, some of which tie into our critical infrastructure, become connected to a single common source: the internet. Rest assured, if its connected to the internet, it can be accessed, attacked, altered, wrecked, etc. We're like dogs chasing our own tails with this, which is not a good situation to be in with regards to things that we rely on from day to day such as electricity.
ethan150 View Drop Down

Quote ethan150 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 2:17am
Originally posted by DST4ME

First Congrats

second all of us will tell you not to use mcafee.

I have been using eset(Formerly nod32) for 10 years now and recommend it to anybody, light fast, easy to use.

if you have questions let me know.

thank you sir.
it's good new for us.
 Post Reply Post Reply