FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any comparison between the air and liquid coolers?

Post Date: 2018-02-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Proletariat View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Proletariat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Any comparison between the air and liquid coolers?
    Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 5:42pm
Between the DS standard Copper Heat Pipe Cooler, and the Vortex 240mm liquid cooler.

What kind of performance differences are there?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 2:00am
Too many variables to say for sure, the variables being the cpu being used, how much if any overclocking, chip lottery, etc.   In general, the H100 family is about 10-15c cooler than the Hyper 212 eco air cooler if that’s what they’re still using.   Could be no different if no added overclocking.

The 10-15c cooler also doesn’t necessarily mean better or needed.     If the temps stay in the 60 and 70s with either then no effect on performance or longevity.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 2:05am
Temp differences have many different reasons, our advise if you want aio lc is to go h115i for better performance and warranty.

If you want air cooler get noctua, it pretty much matches the performance of aio lc coolers.

Temp differences don't matter unless you are above 80c.

Edited by DST4ME - 02 Feb 2018 at 2:06am

Quote Proletariat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 2:16pm
I was thinking of trying the liquid cooling this time around, as I had a noctua d14, and I didn't like how annoying it was to get into the fans if I needed to. I'm not a fan (pun intended) of the design.

But the h115i is a bit too pricy for me, which is why I specified the vortex. Are you not recommending the DS vortex, or are you saying it doesn't compete with air cooling, so I'd have to go for the h115 to get the same results?

btw, I think I'm settling on an 8700k and a 1070ti. I'm just wondering if the stock copper pipe air cooler DS ships with will be sufficient. I don't want to use noctua again.

thanks for the replies guys, btw.

Edited by Proletariat - 02 Feb 2018 at 2:16pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 2:26pm
Their standard air cooler should be just fine unless you opt for additional overclocking.

We recommend the Corsair H115 over the DS branded Vortex because, you know what you’re getting and get a 5 year warranty vs. DS system warrant, 1 year parts.   The Vortex works of course, but just get the air cooler if you don’t want to expense the H115.

I think the air cooler is the Hyper212 evo if you want to Google it for results.

Quote Proletariat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 4:40pm
Thanks for that. I've been reading up on the results of the hyper212 evo and it shows to be a pretty solid cooler, below the air towers like the noctua and the aio (above 120).

My question though, is that people raise a concern about the space of the case it resides in. It tends to work far worse if not enough space for heat movement. Will the Lumos or the slade cases function as well with the hyper212 evo, or is the velox the best case for that cooler?

edit: why aren't more air cooler options available from DS?

Looking around, I'm getting the impression that the evo 212 simply won't be able to contain the 8700k https://techreport.com/blog/32661/just-how-hot-is-coffee-lake

It seems I may need to get something like the h115 after all. It's recommended by many reviewers, and you guys. Not unless I want to throttle my processor.

So the question remains though, why doesn't DS offer more air coolers? 8 years ago, my pc had a noctura from them. What changed to make them go nearly entirely liquid cooling? Big contract deal?

Also, apparently the h115i is just a rebranding of the h110i, with the slightest of differences? Why would I not just get the h110i, as it's 30 dollars cheaper? It's simply discontinued because they changed their naming scheme.

Edited by Proletariat - 02 Feb 2018 at 5:57pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 5:19pm
DS used to offer the Noctua but thanks to the careful handling during shipping and its huge size there appeared to be a lot of claims for damaged innards so no more Noctua.Sad 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 2:18am
The Lumos has very good airflow.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 5:13am
Originally posted by Proletariat

Also, apparently the h115i is just a rebranding of the h110i, with the slightest of differences? Why would I not just get the h110i, as it's 30 dollars cheaper? It's simply discontinued because they changed their naming scheme.

I'm sorry to hear that as a proud new owner of the H115i. Warranty's the same, so if your info accurate, I'd get the 110?
Azjohnny View Drop Down

Quote Azjohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Their standard air cooler should be just fine unless you opt for additional overclocking.

We recommend the Corsair H115 over the DS branded Vortex because, you know what you’re getting and get a 5 year warranty vs. DS system warrant, 1 year parts.   The Vortex works of course, but just get the air cooler if you don’t want to expense the H115.

I think the air cooler is the Hyper212 evo if you want to Google it for results.

Unless DS has changed, the upgraded air cooler is not the Hyper 212, I bought my rig at the end of 2016 and it came with a Zalman CNPS5X
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2018 at 3:34pm
The pic in the configurator surely looks like the 212 EVO, and it is decidedly NOT the Zalman, which looks entirely different. Just sayin'.
Azjohnny View Drop Down

Quote Azjohnny Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 1:38pm
you will get what DS has in stock at the time, the picture they are using is the same as the one they used when I bought mine
 Post Reply Post Reply