FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Apollo Video Card Selection - 18 Choices!

Post Date: 2017-05-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FX View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote FX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Apollo Video Card Selection - 18 Choices!
    Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:53am
As the title suggests, there are 18 different Video Cards for the Apollo.  Amongst those options, wildly varying price points.  I know absolutely nothing about Video Cards and need some help.

--------------

I do not plan on doing anything VR related (looks like most are VR ready anyways).

4K not required.

I need to have dual monitor support.

I may or may not stream / edit content.  I'd prefer to have this capability and not need it than want it and not have it.

I will be using this machine for gaming and want to experience the games as the designers intended.  Max graphics.

--------------

Thank you for any help you can provide in guiding me towards a good solution.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:59am
For a 1920x1080 monitor the gtx 1070 is the card, assuming one monitor for gaming and the other for light duty like web surfing.   

FX View Drop Down

Quote FX Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by bprat22

For a 1920x1080 monitor the gtx 1070 is the card, assuming one monitor for gaming and the other for light duty like web surfing.   

There are 2 GTX 1070s :

1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

2x SLI Dual GeForce GTX 1070 8GB

What is the difference between the two?  Does the SLI mean 2 of them?  Why would anyone want two video cards, if one can run dual monitors?

Thanks for the info!

 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2017 at 1:47pm
SLI uses two cards and gangs them together to give you more graphics processing power. However, it doesn't scale linearly and increases jitter, as the memory on both cards need to constant be synchronized.

It is usually recommended to go with single cards before going to SLI, because of the aforementioned jitter issues, as well as driver issues getting the set-up to work properly with programs.

A single card can run up to 4 monitors. Multiple graphics cards can allow for more. Obviously, as you increase the number of monitors, you will need more graphics processing power to handle graphics intensive work loads, like gaming, on all of those monitors.
 Post Reply Post Reply