FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ASUS PA238Q 23 vs Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23"

Post Date: 2012-03-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ASUS PA238Q 23 vs Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23"
    Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 12:50pm
Looking for a good ips panel for doing some mid level graphics/editing work.
When dealing with graphics work its all about color accuracy and reproduction...  

Ive read quite a few revies and haven't been able to conclude which would make a better monitor for my needs.

I will be doing a dual monitor setup with them, so I would like to make sure I am happy with what I get.

Anyone have any idea which monitor I should purchase?

Edited by Dsnewb210 - 16 Mar 2012 at 12:52pm
950SI
965/4.0 Frostbite LC
6GB Dominator 1600mhz
Rampage II Extreme
Intel 160 320 Raid 0
GTX 285 SLI
Dell 2408wfp/2407wfp
Logitech G19, Razer Mamba
Wireless Astro A40's
Bose Companion 5 Speakers
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:30pm
Where are my monitor experts?
950SI
965/4.0 Frostbite LC
6GB Dominator 1600mhz
Rampage II Extreme
Intel 160 320 Raid 0
GTX 285 SLI
Dell 2408wfp/2407wfp
Wireless Astro A40's
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:33pm
Ultrasharp
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:43pm
I second that.
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:50pm
Color reproduction on the asus is pretty amazing... 1.07billion colours from its 30-bit colour depth.

The dell with its 18-bit colour depth can only manage to produce 16.7million colours.

So I know the asus has it beat in that regard... 
950SI
965/4.0 Frostbite LC
6GB Dominator 1600mhz
Rampage II Extreme
Intel 160 320 Raid 0
GTX 285 SLI
Dell 2408wfp/2407wfp
Wireless Astro A40's
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2012 at 5:53pm
I didn't know there were 18 million colors.     Must be that class I missed.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 4:00am
Just read some reviews on the Asus PA238 and it compares to the Dell's in gaming, some liking the screen a bit better.  The much higher color needs special hardware, etc to make use of.  For gaming it's not noticable.   You'd know more than me, but I'm sure editing, graphics, etc would welcome the color. 

Let's face it...Dell isn't the only game in town, it's just one we know and can recommend with confidence. 

Edited by bprat22 - 18 Mar 2012 at 4:02am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 3:52pm
I recommend Dell's not only because of the hardware, as mentioned there are better hardware-based options out there in regards to monitors, but because of the warranty support. In my career I've been responsible for countless warranty claims for more companies than I can shake a stick at. When it comes to monitors Dell has some of the best exchange/repair/etc. policies I've ever encountered. Literally, I can think of only one head-banging instance in regards to their monitors, while I have too many to list for other companies (And I include Asus in this list).

But, if its pure color depth you are looking for, and need it enough that the variations between the two actually matters, then yes, the Asus is the better monitor. As I'm sure you've probably seen in your research, the Dell uses A-FRC, which can be somewhat problematic if you need ultra-high end professional reproduction.

Whichever way you go, be sure to shop around for the best price! Big%20Smile
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 12:04pm
Decided to go with the Asus pa238q, I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Ive always purchased dell monitors but wasn't very impressed with the 2408wfp I purchased awhile back.
950SI
965/4.0 Frostbite LC
6GB Dominator 1600mhz
Rampage II Extreme
Intel 160 320 Raid 0
GTX 285 SLI
Dell 2408wfp/2407wfp
Wireless Astro A40's
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 2:14pm
I think you'll love it.   Feedback would be great.
dspillett View Drop Down

Quote dspillett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Dsnewb210

Ive read quite a few revies and haven't been able to conclude which would make a better monitor for my needs.
I'm in a similar position. I need to replace an old ViewSonic (VA2012w) bought about seven years ago that has suddenly developed several lines of stuck-high pixels. Having been disappointed with the 23" LG screen I bought 18 months ago (the elderly VS produces results no matter how much time I spend trying to tweak the LG) I thought I'd spend a bit more this time. I think the better results are due to the VS's panel which is claimed to be true 8*3-bit rather than 6*3-with-trickery (both are TN panels), so I'm erring on the side of the Asus with its claim better bit depth magic and other colour related benefits.

There are a fair few people saying the Asus has bad backlight bleed and that the Dell is better in that regard, though there are just as many saying the Dell has the same problem and suggesting the Asus for the same reason - so that matter is probably a draw.

I think my choice will come down to colour and cost. Even people picking on the PA238Q's backlight compliment its colour quality otherwise, but the Dell is 35ukp cheaper.

Looking for a good ips panel for doing some mid level graphics/editing work. When dealing with graphics work its all about color accuracy and reproduction...
I would err towards the Asus in that case, as I currently am in mine.

I will be doing a dual monitor setup with them, so I would like to make sure I am happy with what I get.
If you are going dual you could buy one of each, then you can compare them directly! I'm actually very tempted with that idea myself, getting one of each and replacing both the dying VS and the disappointing LG, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra spend right now.

Decided to go with the Asus pa238q, I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Has it arrived yet? Do you have any comments, good or bad, that might help a person who is trying to make exactly the same decision?
Dsnewb210 View Drop Down

Quote Dsnewb210 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 9:08am
Recieved my asus pa238q monitors and I couldn't be happier!
No dead pixels, no backlight bleed and beautiful color representation.

I am glad I gave asus a shot, anyone doubting the panel I suggest giving it a go.  
950SI
965/4.0 Frostbite LC
6GB Dominator 1600mhz
Rampage II Extreme
Intel 160 320 Raid 0
GTX 285 SLI
Dell 2408wfp/2407wfp
Wireless Astro A40's
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 9:35am
Nice.. Big%20Smile  Thanks for the feedback.  The review I read gave it high marks.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 1:37pm
Hi Dsnewb210,

Thanks for letting us know what you think about it. I am a bit late to this party but I doubt that the picture of the Asus or the Dell or any of the other low end IPS screens has a better picture than the other. As far as I know they are all still using the same LG IPS screen. They all display 16.7mil colors. The Asus does have a 30bit lookup table but it still only displays 16.7mil colors. At least that is what their site says.

Anyway, enjoy your new monitor.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 28 Mar 2012 at 1:40pm
dspillett View Drop Down

Quote dspillett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by FrankW

They all display 16.7mil colors. The Asus does have a 30bit lookup table but it still only displays 16.7mil colors. At least that is what their site says.
I can't find the links (I forgot to bookmark those ones...) but I've read that the panel used in the Asus is a 6-bit one just like in the Dell, so it will use FRC or similar trickery to achieve/claim 16.7 million colours. The difference is in the processing behind the screen, the Asus using 10-bit processing when translating the data from your graphics card via the various calibration options to the values it asks the panel to display. I assume the difference between 8-bit and 10-bit here is similar to scanning at 16bit/channel rather than 8 even though the output is going to be 8bit/channel in the end: if you keep a higher precision internally and sample down at the last available opportunity you introduce less error along the way and hopefully get a better result out.

I'll have to hunt through my history and see if I can find the sites that opened the thing to find out exactly which screen it uses to see if it is the same one Dell use, some other 6-bit IPS screen, or something else...
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:35am
I think the Dell is 8bit/color or 24bit True Color giving 16.7 million colors.

Frank
dspillett View Drop Down

Quote dspillett Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by FrankW

I think the Dell is 8bit/color or 24bit True Color giving 16.7 million colors. Frank
I though I'd read that they both had 6-bit e-IPS panels that use temporal or spatial trickery to attain the impression of 16-point-something million colours, but that both used higher depth internally (8 bit for the Dell and 10 bit for the Asus) until the last point in the chain. I'm happy to be proven wrong though, this is not my area of expertise and I can't (re)find the article(s) that I think I'm remembering as stating those things.

As of this morning (about 12 hours ago) I have one of each sat on my desk, so I'll throw down my initial assessment in case it helps anyone else trying to make a choice. I've not spent much time tweaking them as I had other kit to assemble and install (I'm building a new desktop, new OS and the works, and upgrading the old one for other uses, and making a third machine with the excess parts and a few other spares).

• * Both seem very very nice on first impressions.

• * The Asus is about 35UKP more expensive than the Dell which could be the most significant factor for many people. This may obviously very depending on your local market conditions.

• * The colour reproduction seems noticeably but not earth shatteringly better on the Asus, I've tweaked the Dell a little, the Asus is currently in sRGB mode as it came out of the box except I've reduced the brightness (both are too bright for me out-of-the-box, there may be room to improve both of the screens with further fiddling when I have time to experiment). If I'd just got a pair of the Dells so couldn't see them side by side I don't think I'd be complaining at all - both are significantly better then the cheap LG and old-but-was-quite-expensive-at-the-time-I-bought-it-and-bettered-the-much-newer-LG ViewSonic I previously had and the screens I use at work. Both the Asus and the Dell appear manage vibrant colours when they should and subtle ones at the appropriate time too. They show good detail (but not too much) in both light and dark areas (a good test of that it the opening sequence for S01E01 of Game of Thrones which contains a fair amount of black/dark detail and bright white detail, sometimes on screen at the same time), the the Asus doing slightly better, certainly when it comes to dark detail, though the Dell produces a very slightly deeper black.

• * The backlight bleed people report in the Asus is there but it not nearly as bad in my unit as some people seem to be seeing - I don't know if that is others overreacting, my eyes not being all that good so not picking it up, or if I've been luckier than other people and have a better unit. It follows the pattern others describe (a little top-left and bottom-right, worse in the top-right and bottom-left). Unless I have a pure black display (I created a pure black web page and put my browser into full screen more on each) and have all other light sources turned off (night so no sun, direct or otherwise, and all artificial lights in the room save for a few LEDs turned off) it doesn't jump out at me. When playing dark video sequence (I chose a few scenes from 200x's Battlestar Galactica remake to test that) under less artificial circumstances I can see it but only if I consciously look for it. The Dell has some backlight bleed too, most noticeably in the bottom left - though when I say "most noticeably" it should be noted that it isn't as noticeable as the Asus's anywhere on the screen (fyi, my cheapish LG that I'll be selling on soon now these have arrived has bleed top and bottom, and the old faithful ViewSonic that unfortunately died recently had no bleed that I remember noticing at all).

• * The Asus feels a little sturdier, particularly the stand. In both cases the main unit is pleasantly understated (black bezel, not too thick, the thing that most stands out being the small shiny brand name in the middle bottom (which is subtle enough in both cases) and the bright blue "power on" LED on the Dell (I have a thing against bright blue LEDs, the power indicator on the Asis is more to my liking, but that is really nit-picking!)). The Asus definitely wins in the feel/look design department IMO, but it is a close match.

• * I haven't decided if the picture-in-picture (and two sources side-by-side) feature of the Asus is something that I'll find really useful or if it is just a gimmick. I have a usually-headless server plugged into its VGA input at the moment. The Dell does not have this feature at all.

• * Being able to rotate the screens on their standard stands will be very useful to me - I like having a portrait orientation for some document work. I've previously mounted one monitor on a third-party arm in permanent portrait orientation but now I can keep both landscape by default and rotate either or both when I want to, this extra flexibility could be most useful. Both have good adjustability beyond rotation too. I'd would have liked to see some way of securing the power connectors though - the DP plug holds in pretty tight in both cases (and DVI and/or VGA can be screwed in if you are using those) but the power lead could very easily pull lose when rotating either of the monitors if you are not careful (it did first time it rotated the Dell).

I'm happy with both screens though based on today's impressions I prefer the Asus a little. Neither are perfect, but they are at least as near as I think I can reasonably expect at these prices so both seem to be good value for money IMO. I think the main deciding point if you are trying to chose between the two will be if you want the better colour overall and slightly better physical package (in which case get the Asus) or if you want to save a little money, have less potential backlight issues, and don't mind not-quite-as-good stand and main unit design (in which case go for the Dell).

One little warning: the Asus didn't auto-detect which input was in use (DP in my case) so I panicked slightly (have I got something wrong? or is something broken?!) when first turning the new machine on - it has an SSD instead of any spinning metal and its fans are surprisingly quite compared the machines near-by so I got nothing on screen and no significant sound and though it just wasn't working at all!

Edited by dspillett - 06 Apr 2012 at 7:29pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:20pm
Hi dspillett,

Thanks for you review and comparisons. I have to admit I assumed you would be biased for the Asus due to your strong feelings about it. However, after reviewing your comments I think you did a great job of being fair. Good job.

I understand your comments about the stands. When I was looking for an IPS monitor I picked the NEC due to its much better stand than what was on the Dell at the time.

Frank
RobartGilbert View Drop Down

Quote RobartGilbert Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm
When I was looking for an IPS monitor I picked the NEC due to its much better stand than what was on the Dell at the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply