FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Asus Strix GTX 980 making strange buzzing noise

Post Date: 2016-01-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Natebalzack View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Natebalzack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Asus Strix GTX 980 making strange buzzing noise
    Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 6:57pm
I was playing Black Mesa a short while ago and noticed this strange buzzing sound coming from inside my case. At first I thought it was my CPU fan, but under further inspection I found out it was indeed my GPU. I ran Heaven Benchmark and noticed the buzzing stops for just a split second in between scene transitions.

I also searched on youtube and the buzzing sounds similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJFoIx4kuzE

Is my card faulty? It seems to be running okay though. What should I do? Cry
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 7:14pm
it could be related to coil whine (which wouldn't signify hw failure) or a bad capacitor.  if it bothers you or just to be on the safe side RMA it.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Natebalzack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by db188

it could be related to coil whine (which wouldn't signify hw failure) or a bad capacitor.  if it bothers you or just to be on the safe side RMA it.  

I don't think it's coil whine because I have my FPS capped at 144. (I have an 144hz monitor) It seems to only happen when the card is under full or heavy load and it seems like it just started doing this now. Scared

Edited by Natebalzack - 08 Jan 2016 at 7:22pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 7:56pm
coil whine is usually associated with the use of inferior capacitors.  that's why under higher load the noise becomes more noticeable.  however, the Strix cards are custom jobs that specifically use higher quality components (like Japanese Nichicon caps) in them.  that doesn't mean you won't have hw failures.  since quality shouldn't be an issue with a Strix card, that's why i thought it might be a bad cap, you might have a hw failure issue.  you can visually inspect the board for bulging/burst caps, or you can just RMA it and try a replacement card, or do nothing and live with it.  it's entirely up to you. 

you can try enabling vsync or adaptive sync and see if that stops it.  glBig%20Smile
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Natebalzack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:03pm

coil whine is usually associated with the use of inferior capacitors.  that's why under higher load the noise becomes more noticeable.  however, the Strix cards are custom jobs that specifically use higher quality components (like Japanese Nichicon caps) in them.  that doesn't mean you won't have hw failures.  since quality shouldn't be an issue with a Strix card, that's why i thought it might be a bad cap, you might have a hw failure issue.  you can visually inspect the board for bulging/burst caps, or you can just RMA it and try a replacement card, or do nothing and live with it.  it's entirely up to you. 

you can try enabling vsync or adaptive sync and see if that stops it.  glBig%20Smile

Yeah I hear the noise even with Vsync enabled. :/ What's adaptive sync?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:08pm
i suppose it could also be the fan if it's out of round.  the sounds are fairly different.  can you try to isolate better, perhaps provide a recording?
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Natebalzack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:12pm

i suppose it could also be the fan if it's out of round.  the sounds are fairly different.  can you try to isolate better, perhaps provide a recording?

Perhaps not right this moment. Say I do just "live with it", will the card inevitably fail, or will it just continue to sound unpleasant?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:26pm
adaptive sync (aka freesync) is AMD's tech similar to Nvidia's gsync.

first thing is to narrow it down, because coil whine can come from the power supply, the vid card(s) or even the motherboard. 

if it's the psu you'll have to replace the unit.  if it's the mobo (near the cpu is where you hear it) you can go into the bios/uefi and change the C-state/speedstep settings.  if it's the gpu fan (although that sound is more of a high speed flapping sound to my ears) being out of round you can swap out the fan(s).  if it's the gpu itself you can try lowering the frame rate and monitor refresh to match/lock with each other.  how much lower depends, probably from game to game. 

again, you might get lucky with RMA'ing the card.  so far, i haven't had any coil whine from my 980ti Strix's paired with 120Hz monitors.  gl
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jan 2016 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by Natebalzack

Perhaps not right this moment. Say I do just "live with it", will the card inevitably fail, or will it just continue to sound unpleasant?
if the problem is just annoying coil whine then there is no mechanical problem.  it won't effect the product's functionality.  however, some people are really sensitive to it and it drives them crazy.  you can try to insulate the case with sound dampening material to reduce the perceived noise.  or wear headphones. 

Edited by db188 - 08 Jan 2016 at 8:29pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote Natebalzack Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 1:16am

Originally posted by Natebalzack

if the problem is just annoying coil whine then there is no mechanical problem.  it won't effect the product's functionality.  however, some people are really sensitive to it and it drives them crazy.  you can try to insulate the case with sound dampening material to reduce the perceived noise.  or wear headphones. 

Yeah, I know that coil whine isn't a sign of a problem. I'm just not so sure if it is coil whine, as I hear the buzzing regardless if I enable Vsync or not. Usually Vsync fixes the coil whine.

But I suppose I'll just deal with it for now, and worse case scenario I'll RMA it. Anyway, thanks man :)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jan 2016 at 2:44am
If it is the card, some have said that stressing the heck out of the card with Furmark, Heaven, etc has reduced the coil whine.   No personal experience but worth a try. Also try reseating all the connections to the card, motherboard and on the psu end if it's modular.   

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Jan 2016 at 2:47am
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 8:16pm
Was this issue ever figured out or resolved ?
 Post Reply Post Reply