FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ASUS X99-WS/ USB 3.1 availability

Post Date: 2015-10-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
drfm View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote drfm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ASUS X99-WS/ USB 3.1 availability
    Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:23pm
Does anybody know if DS offers the 3.1 version of this board. I am planning on ordering a computer using the ASUS X99 WS/ USB 3.1
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 7:39pm
I would recommend against getting this board unless you are creating a compute workstation to do simulations and other GPGPU or co-processor workloads. Otherwise, you are increasing the communications latency to the GPUs, increasing the power consumption of your motherboard, and for 4-way GPU set-ups, reducing the bandwidth to the GPUs from 40-lanes to 32-lanes.

Edited by  - 04 Oct 2015 at 7:39pm
drfm View Drop Down

Quote drfm Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 5:22am
Thanks. I am not planning on using more than one GPU. So I'm reconsidering using the ASUS X-99 Deluxe USB 3.1
Ross View Drop Down

Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by 

I would recommend against getting this board unless you are creating a compute workstation to do simulations and other GPGPU or co-processor workloads. Otherwise, you are increasing the communications latency to the GPUs, increasing the power consumption of your motherboard, and for 4-way GPU set-ups, reducing the bandwidth to the GPUs from 40-lanes to 32-lanes.

I'm considering the ASUS X99-E WS mobo so I can use 8-core CPUs with 3x SLI.

Is the mobo problematic with 3-way SLI as well? If so, is there a better one you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 10:12pm
It's not problematic, just not ideal for gaming scenarios and such.

The ASUS X99-A, ASUS Rampage V Extreme, and Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI can all do x16/x16/x8 configurations (the Rampage V Extreme and GA-X99-SLI both use the 1st, 3rd, and 4th slots for this configuration). While the X99-E WS can do x16/x16/x16, two of those x16 connections are sharing a single x16 connection to the processor through a PLX PCI-e switch, giving you a total of 32 lanes of connectivity to the GPUs, as opposed the the 40 lanes on the others. If you are going to want to have a PCI-e NVMe drive in the mix, the former boards will go down to x16/x8/x8; so they'll have 32 lanes like the X99-E WS, but they still will not have the PLX switch latency and power penalties. The additional bandwidth the switches give do not affect the graphics performance much and the latency added is detrimental.

The only upside to the X99-E WS is that is supports ECC RAM, if you are going to use an Intel Xeon processor. But that is only if you are going for high up-time reliability operation.
Ross View Drop Down

Quote Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 8:00am
Originally posted by 

If you are going to want to have a PCI-e NVMe drive in the mix, the former boards will go down to x16/x8/x8; so they'll have 32 lanes like the X99-E WS, but they still will not have the PLX switch latency and power penalties. The additional bandwidth the switches give do not affect the graphics performance much and the latency added is detrimental.

Given that I'm not very good at hardware, I'm trying to understand this statement.

I do very much want to have a PCI-e SSD.

Should I consider dropping to 2-way SLI instead of 3-way SLI? That seems like it would free up a PCI-e slot and give the GPUs 40 lanes rather than 32.

I'm not sure how much it matters to have 40 lanes versus 32 lanes, particularly if I'm giving up a 3rd GPU to go up to 40 lanes.

I'm going to have only 1 monitor, and I'm gaming at 4K resolution. Some games are _extremely_ GPU and CPU intensive (Star Citizen, for example) and so I'm not sure if adding a 3rd GPU will actually help or not.

(I am also broadcasting these games, so I need an 8-core CPU rather than just 4- or 6-core, even though I saw on other threads people recommending the newer Skylake CPUs for gaming.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 10:11am
I would go with a dual GPU set-up on Skylake for 4K and either:

a) Try a video capture software that uses Intel Quicksync on the iGPU to unload some of the major encoding work from your other hardware. You can use something like Predator in MSI Afterburner or Open Broadcast Software for this. Here is a quick video on how to set up OBS to use Quicksync.

or b) If that doesn't work, you may want to consider getting a dedicated hardware solution like: Avermedia, Hauppauge, or Elgato.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:04am
We now offer the USB 3.1 version on the configurator.
 Post Reply Post Reply