FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aventum 3 Questions

Post Date: 2018-03-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Aventum 3 Questions
    Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 11:59pm
Hello All,

I placed an order for the Aventum 3 a couple weeks ago, so I'm a little late to the forum party. That said, I'm excited to join the community. My configuration code is 185323. I plan on using the PC primarily for gaming, streaming, and video editing.

Note: I selected the ML fans on the config but I actually asked for LL fans to be mix-matched in the build, with the LL fans on the bottom and the ML fans elsewhere. I think the rings on the LL fans will make the bottom pop more.

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Aventum 3
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Pure White
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-7900X (10-Core) 3.30GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 4x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair AX1200i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: 2x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Gold Datacenter Edition)
RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance (Requires 2 Identical HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
HydroLux Tubing Style: HardLine Tubing (Requires HydroLux PRO Custom Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO RGB Series (14 Fans Total) (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.8GHz via Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 15-20 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Questions:

1.Was there any additional requests Aventum 3 or other DS machine owners made that you think would also be a good idea for me to ask for?

2. I live pretty close to DS and am thinking about future upgrades. Does anyone know if upgrading parts is possible through DS? How does it work?

3. I was thinking about adding more RAM and an additional 1 TB 960 EVO M.2. Would the hardline watercooling prevent me from doing so on my own? The Rampage VI Extreme comes with a DIMM.2 slot that allows for 2 additional m.2 drives to be installed. Not sure if the water cooling will allow that slot to be installed.

Full disclaimer: I'm not the greatest technically speaking and have virtually 0 experience tinkering on computers save for the fact I know how to put RAM sticks in and the M.2 drives look easy enough to screw in.

I know this was a pretty long post so thanks in advance to anyone who got this far. Cheers!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 1:49am
Congratulations and welcome to DS. AwesomeThat is a nice machine. Love white. It is a brute. Strong We would have suggested not to overclock the cpu and/or gpus and it has a bit more power than needed but.....I'm not one to talk, have two AX1200i psus on mine from when you could order them. LOL Don't know about installing the m.2 drives yet but it is the way to go.

You say you live close to DS so the best bet for avoiding shipping mishaps is to contact them and arrange to pick up at their facility. It will save potential nightmares. My understanding is that they are very receptive to doing that. Good luck and keep us posted.
Big%20Smile

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 1:58am
DS does upgrade parts and charges for the parts but not the labor last I heard. Luckily you live close enough to avoid shipping.

Hardline tubing looks great but makes troubleshooting and parts access very difficult unless you’re good at pulling water loops apart.   Getting at the ram and m.2 slots depends on how the tubing is routed. My guess is the hardline is in the way.

Really nice build, but, just me, I would’ve ordered flex tubing.   At some point you will have to work on it.

Congrats on the Aventum.   
Alci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Alci Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 5:59am
When you're spending this much, why settle for the EVO NVM? Get the PRO since it has true super fast write speed, while the EVO uses buffer memory then writes in the background.
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 11:51am
Originally posted by hoserator

Congratulations and welcome to DS. AwesomeThat is a nice machine. Love white. It is a brute. Strong We would have suggested not to overclock the cpu and/or gpus and it has a bit more power than needed but.....I'm not one to talk, have two AX1200i psus on mine from when you could order them. LOL Don't know about installing the m.2 drives yet but it is the way to go. You say you live close to DS so the best bet for avoiding shipping mishaps is to contact them and arrange to pick up at their facility. It will save potential nightmares. My understanding is that they are very receptive to doing that. Good luck and keep us posted. Big%20Smile

Thank you for the warm welcome! It was a tough decision between red or white exterior, but ultimately decided on the neutral color.

I did request to pick up the system, just need to figure out if the box can fit in my car! I jumped the gun on the purchase mostly because I live close and can avoid any potential nightmares from shipping. A few years back I had purchased a system from another boutique builder and ended up having to send the machine cross country 5 times. :(

Oh and regarding PSU, it seems the 7900x pulls 400W~ under load and the 1080TI pulls 300 per card. Thought to get the 1200 for headroom. Wonder what my power bill will be like xD
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by bprat22

DS does upgrade parts and charges for the parts but not the labor last I heard. Luckily you live close enough to avoid shipping.

Hardline tubing looks great but makes troubleshooting and parts access very difficult unless you’re good at pulling water loops apart.   Getting at the ram and m.2 slots depends on how the tubing is routed. My guess is the hardline is in the way.

Really nice build, but, just me, I would’ve ordered flex tubing.   At some point you will have to work on it.

Congrats on the Aventum.   

Haha true, I guess it'll somewhat force me to be handy. Hardline looks so good though! Perhaps I should just have DS install the extra memory and M.2 drive down the road.
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by Alci

When you're spending this much, why settle for the EVO NVM? Get the PRO since it has true super fast write speed, while the EVO uses buffer memory then writes in the background.

I guess I didn't really look at the differences of the EVO vs PRO. Is the price difference really worth it? I suppose you are right about spending, to which my only excuse is that my budget here was 10k
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 7:21pm
Does anyone know if I can still make adjustments to my order when it has hit stage 3-- mainly I think Alci convinced me to go for a 960 PRO.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 1:00am
Don't remember what stage 3 was but best bet is to give them a call. I made changes on mine after ordering and it was real easy. Go for it.  It is a better ssd.

Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 7:17am
Not only better performance, better quality, but 5 year vs 3 year warranty with the 960 PRO. DS will be delighted to help you spend more $!
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 3:47pm
Called today and was able to change the drives up. I upgraded to the 960 pro from the evo and removed the 2x 1TB WD Black drives for another 1TB 960 pro.

I've probably called them 5-6 times now at this point to change something, to which they are probably annoyed xD. I am grateful for the customer service though!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:18am
 AwesomeYou will be pleased. Start making space. Big%20Smile It is huge!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:50am
Originally posted by Marshy22

I've probably called them 5-6 times now at this point to change something, to which they are probably annoyed xD. I am grateful for the customer service though!

I'm willing to bet a dollar to a doughnut that they are not annoyed by your calls. As DS puts "customer service" at the forefront of their business model they welcome the calls that will help foster a closer relationship with their customers.

DS isn't just about selling computers, and it shows.
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:14pm
Kinda concerned that my build still hasn't reached the build phase. There doesn't seem to be any reason for the delay. I have called a few times and CS reps have said that my build should be going on to the next stage on such and such date but so far these dates have been wrong. I placed this order on February 15th and at time of submitting my order, none of the parts I selected had an extended delay tag on them. I didn't expect the 9-14 business days ship time to be accurate, but given how we're approaching the 30 day mark, I'm pretty disappointed.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 4:34am
Email Alex directly. He is the absolute king of "Getting things done."   
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 12:54pm
Ah great, thanks for sharing. I'll give it a shot.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 2:00pm
Just replied, let's stay in touch directly. I'll make sure we take care of you.
Marshy22 View Drop Down

Quote Marshy22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 6:04pm
For anyone that has been following this thread, Alex has handled things well for me so I am very appreciative of him! I'm still waiting for my PC but I think the wait will be worth it as I will be getting the Aventum X!

In the interim. I have been debating additional upgrades, so if anyone has a strong opinion, please join in! Should I upgrade the CPU from a 7900x to another I9, say a 7940x or even 7960x? What about 64GB of ram instead of 32? The 1300W EVGA power supply was just added to the list of which costs about $300 less than my correct selection of the AX1200i. Would it be a good idea to change the power supply and use the additional money on an upgrade?

Edited by Marshy22 - 05 Apr 2018 at 6:07pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 4:33am
Aventum X????Excited

I'd go with the 7960X but that's me. Unless you do something that requires a lot of memory, 32GB is more than plenty. As to the psu, I like Corsair but EVGA is very good also.Don't know enough about it.
I guess you should also get the next gen GPU if out by the time DS starts your build. Tell Alex.
Keep us posted.Big%20Smile
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 12:53pm
OMG !!
 Post Reply Post Reply