AVG WHIZ?

Post Date: 2017-07-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: AVG WHIZ?
    Posted: 08 Jul 2017 at 4:07am
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts,

Since AVG is listed as a "must have" software choice in 2008; I thought to comment on what is happening today (2017) with AVG.

First let me say that I have been a fan and user of AVG free since before I bought my 2010 DS computer. It's lean, mean, and has always done it's job well. Recently, things have changed.

I'll be in the middle of a game and an ad will stop the game and send me to desktop and their ad. I have pop ups disabled but it happens almost every day at least once.

Then, 2 days ago, my computer froze up. A restart and it froze up again. I started in safe mode and sometimes that act alone will clear the problem. After checking all the connections and the system report log(critical failure at every start try); I started in safe mode again. This time I followed the instructions in the box that suggests probable things to check.

One of the things I checked said that an AVG plug-in had committed an illegal action and asked if I wanted to remove the plug-in. I chose yes and voila!, problem solved. Computer started and ran flawlessly so I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled it immediately.

The ad intrusion problem still persists though and unlike chrome; IE11 doesn't seem to have an ad stop program and since AVG is obviously a trusted site; it probably wouldn't work anyway.

UPDATE: My apologies to AVG; further research found the intrusion adware is from Advanced Uninstaller 11 and not AVG.    

Edited by jaypeetee44 - 08 Jul 2017 at 4:18am
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

Post Reply Post Reply