FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back again - Velox build.

Post Date: 2015-09-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Uglyyoda View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Uglyyoda Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Back again - Velox build.
    Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 2:42pm
Budget
5k to 6k

Back again for advise. DS has allowed me to change my build as the first one I was going with a Titan X card but people on the forum said the 980ti Strix was just as good. I am looking to go with a dual SLI setup for two 980ti Strix.   Questions I have.

1. Using the Hydrolux cooling on CPU and Chipset. Is it worth it. I can afford it so not concerned on price.

2. Everything I have read says the 980ti Strix are overclocked at the factory. Do I need to have DS overclock again. I also read the fans are really good at cooling the card and I went with the Velox box to allow maximum airflow. Thoughts?

3. I went with the Corsair Memory that allows for the light bridges. My understanding I could just upgrade to 32gb memory of DS performance memory for same cost. Thoughts?

4. I put in a sound blaster card. If there is something better on the market place I could add afterwards would want input.

5. Went with the 400gb NVM Card. I have tons of movies, pictures, music but it would all fit on the 1TB Western Digital. Was looking to use the NVM card for operating system, games, and such.

Expectations:
Want a system I can continue to upgrade for 3 to 4 years that can keep up with gaming conten

Usage:
Gaming (Call of Duty, WoW, LoL, Starwars, EVE, Titan Fall). My Christmas gift from my wife will be one of the new X35 Acer Preditor screens that operates at 144hz. I am guess the cards can handle that.

All input is appreciated. It helped me the last time from purchasing a Titan X to going with a dual 980ti Strix cards.

Configuration Code:     1285719
Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1285719
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Zx (Includes Audio Control Module)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 3:13pm
1) If you plan to really crank on your overclock, then yes it could give you a little headroom.  But, if you don't, the AIO should keep your processor plenty cool.  If you Opt for the Hydrolux, the benefit is that you can have teh GPUs included in the loop, and they can benefit from water cooling, as well (they won't throttle back as they cooling won't get heat soaked).

2) There is overhead in the chips where they can be overclocked a little.  The 980 Ti and Titan X GM200 chips have a reputation for not being able to be heavily overclocked no matter the cooling (they don't scale well with voltage).  Expect only a slight overclock from DS, but they will stand behind it and help you out if it ever is unstable.  You can overclock yourself, too, without voiding the warranty of the card.  Look at this video to see the steps you go through with it.  You may be able to eeck out a little more than DS, but making sure it is stable is up to you then.  You'll have an extra couple slots between the two GPUs on the RVE motherboard, so cooling should be fine.

3) Unless you are set on the aesthetics or want to overclock your memory yourself, the DS selected memory should do just fine.  Size of the memory is up to how much multi-tasking you're doing or other memory intensive tasks, like running virtual machines.

4) Drop the sound card.  On-board audio is excellent.  If you want better sound, invest in better speakers/amplifiers or headphones.  If you want the absolute best, do an audio pass-through on an HDMI cable (no audio processing in your computer) to an A/V receiver.

5) Excellent choice.  Make sure you have them install it in the PCIE_X8_4 slot (it will be the top-most slot -- farthest from the processor -- on your motherboard in the orientation on the Velox).  If you have the funds, you may want to consider going all SSD and upgrade the WD HDD to a Samssung 850 EVO 1TB SSD.

Looks good!
jackbutler68 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jackbutler68 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 3:20pm
I think you will be happy the chose of video cards. The is a beast of a rig you put together.

The Velox is a high airflow case so I am not sure if you need water cooling on the chipset or cards but I will leave that to someone else who is more familiar with the case.

I do not know what memory chips DS uses but I went with 32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX. Everyone here says you don't need more than 16gigs of memory for gaming right now but I wanted to have the extra memory installed and tested by DS during the build instead of adding it down the road.

On the sound card issue from what I have read onboard audio is pretty darn good nowadays doing away with the need for an external sound card but hopefully some other people can chime in on that as well.

Again congratz and that should be one hell of a gaming machine!!   

Edited by jackbutler68 - 21 Sep 2015 at 3:25pm
My DS Slade..

Corsair Obsidian 550D
Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA­X99­SLI
32GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
SSD 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Uglyyoda

Budget
5k to 6k

Back again for advise. DS has allowed me to change my build as the first one I was going with a Titan X card but people on the forum said the 980ti Strix was just as good. I am looking to go with a dual SLI setup for two 980ti Strix.   Questions I have.

1. Using the Hydrolux cooling on CPU and Chipset. Is it worth it. I can afford it so not concerned on price.

2. Everything I have read says the 980ti Strix are overclocked at the factory. Do I need to have DS overclock again. I also read the fans are really good at cooling the card and I went with the Velox box to allow maximum airflow. Thoughts?

3. I went with the Corsair Memory that allows for the light bridges. My understanding I could just upgrade to 32gb memory of DS performance memory for same cost. Thoughts?

4. I put in a sound blaster card. If there is something better on the market place I could add afterwards would want input.

5. Went with the 400gb NVM Card. I have tons of movies, pictures, music but it would all fit on the 1TB Western Digital. Was looking to use the NVM card for operating system, games, and such.

Expectations:
Want a system I can continue to upgrade for 3 to 4 years that can keep up with gaming conten

Usage:
Gaming (Call of Duty, WoW, LoL, Starwars, EVE, Titan Fall). My Christmas gift from my wife will be one of the new X35 Acer Preditor screens that operates at 144hz. I am guess the cards can handle that.

All input is appreciated. It helped me the last time from purchasing a Titan X to going with a dual 980ti Strix cards.

Configuration Code:     1285719
Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1285719
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz (Six-Core) (Unlocked CPU)
Motherboard: ASUS X99 RAMPAGE V USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX1000i (Digitally Controlled Power)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD PCI-E Card (400GB Intel 750 Series) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Enterprise Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Zx (Includes Audio Control Module)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux Level 1: Digital Storm Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU + Chipset)
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing (Requires Custom HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz

1. the RVE does come with an "OC Panel Kit" that can be mounted in a 5.25" bay which will provide you with a cpu fan controller button or knob enabling some limited manual cpu fan control from what i've read about it.  you can always control your fan profile from the mobo bios or via a free dl software like "SpeedFan".  the DS fan control board isn't a necessity, but if you can afford it might be a luxury to have.  it does also act as a fan extension hub.

2. even though the Strix are "factory overclocked" there is still some headroom to squeeze some more performance out of them.  you can probably get about 50mhz from the boost clock w/o messing with voltage increases (it actually looks like Asus under volts this card compared to the reference design).  their excellent cooling hardware keeps the cards from thermal throttling.  check out review sites that have done oc tests on them to see how (i've seen: 1291mhz base clock/1392mhz boost clock/1531mhz in-game clock/8mhz memory clock @1.2180v) far they've been able to push them.  as always, the silicon lottery will determine how individual cards perform.  since the Velox is constructed with a perforated chassis, it combines well with a custom vid card that transfers heat into the case.  

3. personal aesthetics choice.  i can't think of a scenario where a gamer needs more than 16GB of system ram at the moment.

4. the best add-in sound cards for 2015 (as reviewed by TopTenReviews) are: #1) Asus Xonar Essence STX; #2) Asus Xonar Essence ST; #3) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi.  if you're an audiophile it might be a need to upgrade from on board sound; however, a gamer just wanting good sound mostly on headphones can do just fine with integrated sound (especially high end integrated sound capable of 7.1 output). 

5. there's no faster ssd on the market currently.  if you have the cash, why not?  you might want to consider adding another hdd for redundancy on your data drive just to provide backup if a drive fails. perhaps also a higher capacity for future data.

6.  that X35 predator is a TN panel.  while fast, i'd be a little concerned about image quality and viewing angles, especially on such a large display.  the IPS 21:9 1440p versions from Asus and Acer lose a little speed (100hz max), but gain a lot in image quality imo.  i also like the build quality of Asus over Acer.   

Edited by db188 - 21 Sep 2015 at 5:31pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by db188

1. the RVE does come with an "OC Panel Kit" that can be mounted in a 5.25" bay which will provide you with a cpu fan controller button or knob enabling some limited manual cpu fan control from what i've read about it.  you can always control your fan profile from the mobo bios or via a free dl software like "SpeedFan".  the DS fan control board isn't a necessity, but if you can afford it might be a luxury to have.  it does also act as a fan extension hub.

The Velox doesn't have an OC Panel, so he'd need to connect it up to the connector on the rear I/O shield.

Originally posted by db188

5. there's no faster ssd on the market currently.  if you have the cash, why not?  you might want to consider adding another hdd for redundancy on your data drive just to provide backup if a drive fails. perhaps also a higher capacity for future data.

Is this supported yet?  The speed on those drives is so fast I'm not sure it's really necessary to do a RAID set-up.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 6:01pm
i was referring to the WD hard drive in that part of the reply.  Big%20Smile

doh, i wasn't even looking at the Velox front fascia.  yeah, it's be kind of hard to install it there since there are no 5.25" bays.  well, he can just use it as an external console as well.

Edited by db188 - 21 Sep 2015 at 6:07pm
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 6:04pm
Oh yeah, reading over it too fast and missed that.  Yes, RAID 0 or RAID 1 would be nice, depending on your priorities.
 Post Reply Post Reply