FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Banshee vs Harker for 3D Work

Post Date: 2016-04-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nbokas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nbokas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Banshee vs Harker for 3D Work
    Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 12:17pm
I'm in need of a laptop to work on programs such as 3Ds Max and Maya. A decent graphics card is imperative. The only difference between these two laptops (besides size) seems to be that the Banshee takes desktop GPU. So basically I'm deciding between the Harker with GTX 980M and the Banshee with GTX 980. Any advice for me?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:22pm
Looking at their specs, the Banshee would be the strongest for those looking for the best in graphics cards.    The gtx 980 desktop is a good 35% stronger than a mobile 980m with 50% more memory bandwidth, more CUDA cores and raster units.

The other option, also in the Banshee, is sli 980M.   If your apps support sli then the second option might be the way to go.   

Banshee is the strongest graphics wise.   
nbokas View Drop Down

Quote nbokas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:37pm
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with the Banshee, despite it's large size. Any advice on hard drive? If I can afford it I was considering the M.2 512GB drive. Is it worth it?

Also, I don't see any sli option for the Banshee (or the Harker, for that matter).
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:57pm
The Banshee level 3 and 4 default at sli.   The Harker doesn't have that option.

The 950 pro is many times faster than the SATA based SSD. It's PCIE interface doesn't have the SATA bandwidth limits.     For your apps I would think the 950 would be the pick if budget allows.

Edited by bprat22 - 20 Apr 2016 at 1:58pm
nbokas View Drop Down

Quote nbokas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:23am
Ok, I'll consider the M.2 950 Pro. As far as SLI, I've read that I will not see much performance boost from dual SLI GPU for Autodesk 3D programs (3Ds Max, Maya). Do you have a take on whether this is worth it over a single GTX 980?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:02am
I'm not up on editing software.  A while back the sli wasn't very well supported if I recall. Can't say about now, however.   For single card, the desktop 980 is the way to go.   
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:33am
The Harker offers a couple of different Nvidia Quadro GPUs, which are for AutoCAD, Maya, etc., I believe.  I don't know the differences between them, but if you're not going to game on the laptop and are focused strictly on the AutoCAD and Maya, then I'd say the Harker is what you want.  If you want to game too, it's going to be a decision about which is more important, as the Quadro's aren't really gaming cards.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 4:53am
people are rendering and modeling just fine on even a 970 paired with a quad core cpu.   just get at least 16GB (32GB preferable) ram.   of course the more CUDA cores the better! 

does sli in general benefit 3D modeling?  it depends on the product if it allows you to utilize the gpu, rather than the cpu, to render.   programs like 3D Studio Max (IRAY) let you actively render on the gpu. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 5:23am
Originally posted by Roykirk

The Harker offers a couple of different Nvidia Quadro GPUs, which are for AutoCAD, Maya, etc., I believe.  I don't know the differences between them, but if you're not going to game on the laptop and are focused strictly on the AutoCAD and Maya, then I'd say the Harker is what you want.  If you want to game too, it's going to be a decision about which is more important, as the Quadro's aren't really gaming cards.
90% of what a workstation card has to offer, is OpenGL driver optimizations, and unless you are using programs (i.e. Solidworks, Catia, NX, etc.) specific to OpenGL, you're wasting your money.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply