FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Possible/Ultimate Bolt 3 Config?

Post Date: 2015-10-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DEG View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DEG Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Best Possible/Ultimate Bolt 3 Config?
    Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:44pm
Hey Digital Storm Community!

With the imminent advent of Fallout 4, I hope to buy a great machine in the very near future, and I've got my eyes set on the beautiful Bolt 3. Not only does it look great, but I think it should be transportable as well (a requirement for me), and its powerful one-card system should avoid all micro-stutter problems sometimes associated with SLI setups (an issue I've previously dealt with).

I'm hoping to recruit all of your advice on what I could do to make this system the best it can be! I have no budget restraints - all proposals are welcome. I just hope that this Bolt 3 configuration will provide max settings for modern games, and games for the next 5 years or so, at non-4k resolutions - and that it will look great!

Below is my ticket number, the important specs, and a few questions as well:

Saved Ticket #: 1300636

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2800MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
Power Supply: 600W SilverStone SX600-G
Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer
Storage Set 1: 2x SSD (1TB Samsung 850 EVO)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 12GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: Custom Digital Storm (CPU + Graphics Card) 240mm Liquid Cooling System
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing
Chassis Fans: High Static Pressure - Corsair Air Series SP120 Fans (2x 120mm)
Internal Lighting: Software Controlled Internal + Front Panel RGB LED Lighting
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires High-End Motherboard Selection)
Boost Graphics Card(s): Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Hopefully you're still with me for the questions:

1. I selected the maximum overclocking options - given my build, am I safe to do so?

2. The build has a 600W power supply (the maximum I was able to select), but that figure is also the minimum requirement for the psu of a Titan X. Do I have to worry about throttling? (If so, can I purchase a slightly higher wattage PSU for the build?)

3. Is it possible in the Bolt 3 to run those 1TB SSDs in RAID 0?

4. Is there a "holy grail" of Titan X cards that I can request for the build, or are most of them fairly similar in performance?

Thanks so much for your time and your input!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 3:44pm
here's the thing with Titan X vs GTX 980ti, for ~35% more cost you get:

1) 50% more vram
2) 9% more CUDA cores and texture units

it is otherwise the same GM200 chip.  how does that translate to gaming performance?  nothing currently requires more than 6GB of vram, so memory throughput and capacity advantage is virtually nil.  so what does that 9% performance translate to?  about 1-2 fps difference in game.  that's what a $1000 card gets you over a $650 card.  also not factored into this equation is that there are several vendors offering custom versions of the 980ti that offer better components and more overclocking performance that will actually allow the 980ti to surpass the Titan X tiny performance advantage.  all Titan X cards are "reference" design (stock Nvidia cards).  they ship very close to their max TDP with only a bit (~10%) of room for oc.  still want a Titan X?

as far as your questions about power supply/power use:  a stockTitan X pulls ~386 watts from the wall under load; ~420 watts with a 10% oc.  conversely, a card like the 980ti Strix with its factory oc pulls ~410 watts under load (due to its better components and power delivery circuitry).  the Strix also has a much higher oc potential and will consequently be a much faster card then the Titan X.  the rest of your system will pull ~100 watts.  it doesn't matte how much psu you have if your gpu hits its internal threshold nearing its max TDP it will throttle.  custom cards like the Strix have special bios's that remove these barriers. 

on the subject of raiding ssd: read this article from Tom's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485-13.html
the long and short of it is it's not recommended.  it's great for benchmarking but not much real world benefit to most users.

Edited by db188 - 17 Oct 2015 at 3:53pm
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply