FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BF3 terrible stutter with new ODE level 4 PC

Post Date: 2012-01-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PixelStix View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PixelStix Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: BF3 terrible stutter with new ODE level 4 PC
    Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 10:29pm
Battlefield 3 stutters horribly when I play. When I try to turn around a corner, the game framerate bounces up and down.

I haven't made it past the second level in campaign. The game is honestly unplayable.

The crazy thing? I'm playing it on a new ODE level 4 with extra CPU upgrade! This game should be running well.

CPU: Intel 3960X - 6 cores
GPU: 3x SLI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
RAM: 16 GB @ 1600 MHz

I've followed every suggestion I could find from the Internet. None of them made a difference.

-Disabled Hyperthreading in BIOS
-Set BF3.exe CPU affinity to just core 0 (game crashes)
-Lowered mouse sensitivity
-Disabled Raw Input
-Set RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit=1
-Set renderdevice.triplebufferingenable=0

I've even tried downgrading video resolution from 1920x1200 (Auto) to 720p (Low) - and the game still stutters!

Any suggestions what to do? Thanks!
PixelStix View Drop Down

Quote PixelStix Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 10:37pm
Disabling SLI in the NVIDIA Control Panel made a huge difference.

The crazy performance swings are still gone, although there's a small amount of stutter visible when turning around corners.

Has anyone figured out how to get BF3 working well with SLI?
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:08pm
It's an issue with the game that can only really be fixed with a patch to the game it's self. There have been known issues like this since launch and there is no word on when they plan on getting them fixed, if ever. It's not your system that's the issue.

Not everyone has issues and there are some "fixes" people have posted but those should always be considered "follow at your own risk". You should not need to disable SLI as the game does support it and it is actually required for your resolution.

The first thing I do before messing with any system settings (as in disabling SLI or Hyper-threading) is lower some of the more resource hungry graphics settings. Turn down things like AA, AF, Shadows, Reflections, Physx (for the games that have it), etc. Don't lower your resolution or detail level but try reducing some of those other things first.

You have more then enough resources then the game could possible use but it may not be using your resources efficiently like it should. That should be a general rule of thumb for any game giving you a problem, reduce those resource hungry settings as you first step in trouble shooting.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 6:51am
Hi PixelStix.....Your problem with BF3 is not normal, even with known bugs.  I have a gtx560 that plays BF3 on High, AAx2, AFx16 with little or no stutter even when things get heavy.  An occasional blip, but very playable.  Here's a previous evaluation I posted after BF3 came out....
""ODE 0 vs. BF3
GTX560 /1920x1080 /ultra /4xaa / 16xaf /FPS (using FRAPS benchmark) average is 40fps...min 22fps Reality is 25-35 fps and a little jerky at times but still very playable.
GTX560 /1920x1080 /high /0xaa /16xaf/ FPS...average 51.6 fps minimum 41 fps. Reality is 42-55 fps. The high setting which it defaults to for 560 is very smooth and graphics very good. Big%20Smile  """

jmaster299 is right that some will have alot more issues than others, but yours seem extreme. 

I can't play Ultra, but others on the forum with ODE 3, sli 570 play it smooth. 

Check to see if anything else is running in the backgroung by going to Task Manager and see what's running under Applications tab and Processes tab. 

Good Luck Big%20SmileBig%20Smile 
PixelStix View Drop Down

Quote PixelStix Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:43pm
Thanks for the tips!

jmaster299: FWIW, I tried setting all visual quality settings to the lowest settings possible and even then, 3x SLI had a significant stutter.

bpratt22: Yep, I had checked Task Manager. Virtually nothing is running on this new PC. Antivirus/malware detection is disabled. The only process taking CPU cycles greater than 1% is BF3.

I wonder if something's wrong with my new PC? Maybe the SLI bridge is bad? I should try other games and see if SLI boosts perf or has similar issues. Any recommendations for good SLI test games?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:08pm
I wish I had sli to help you out but nope.     jmaster299 was right about lots of issues. I'd be ticked off if I had your system with your issues with BF3.       Maybe others with sli, like ODE3 for example can chime in to give you some perspective.    SLI is necessary to Max out certain games like BF3. I don't t get it myself.

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Jan 2012 at 5:19pm
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:20pm
You could also try some of the Beta drivers for your cards. BF3 has it's own issues that need to be fixed but the GPU manufactures still look for their own solutions. Stability issues like this, especially if it involves SLI, is something you can often see addressed in Beta drivers.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:34pm
It might be worth calling DS techs and running this past them. They see and hear problems from all sides and might have a better data base.    Best of luck and let us know if they fix it.       
busdriver01 View Drop Down

Quote busdriver01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 1:07pm
I play BF3 on high setting (not ultra) with a couple of gtx275s in sli.  Everything runs smoothly for the first few hours.  I don't think you should be having that problem with all the hardware you have. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 12:01am
You are not playing in dx11 so your experience is different then others with 470/570 etc.

not saying that I don't agree that he should not be having problems tho.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:22am
Hi PixelStix,

If you have the ODE-4 then you should have the 3930K CPU. Do you really have the 3960X? This has nothing to do with your problem.

Did you just receive the system? If you just got it try re-seating your GPU cards and check the SLI Bridge. It doesn't sound like you are getting SLI performance. Call DS, they will help you.

Frank
FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 2:30pm

When all else fells and wasted time is wasted gaming time.

REFORMAT....

I redo my system evey 3 months.
(running like a champ going on a year)

Good Luck

FR3SHM3AT
     Strong

ps. ( alot of time this will happen if you are installing drivers on top drivers.Not just Grpahic drivers either.)

after clean install and all updated. Install game and try it before you do anything else. Wahlaa Problem Solved

PixelStix View Drop Down

Quote PixelStix Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 4:52pm
Thanks everyone. I've contacted Digital Storm to continue the investigation.

I also bought Crysis 2, which has the exact same problem. Without SLI, I get a solid 35 fps in gameplay. With 3-way SLI enabled, fps gets choppy and can drop as low as 9!

It's really starting to look like a hardware problem with the SLI bridge.

Also tried the beta NVIDIA drivers, which appear to break SLI for X79 chipsets. Found that out after installing.

Frank: Yes, I have the 3960X. The 3930K was out of stock when I ordered, so DS offered me a discounted upgrade to accelerate the PC's arrival.

FR3SHM3AT: Thanks for the advice! This is a new PC and SLI never worked from the beginning, so I'm hesitant to reformat.
 Post Reply Post Reply