FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BOLT X gaming and work config

Post Date: 2018-01-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fjp_design View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fjp_design Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: BOLT X gaming and work config
    Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 9:53pm
Budget:
$3000 pc only

Expectations:
Low noise, low maintenance, small footprint, work and gaming pc, sometimes a combo of both, single monitor.

Usage:
50% gaming
50% work (Maya 3D AR and VR asset creation, After Effects motion graphics, lite Unity development)

Special Needs:
I'm not very technical savvy on the hardware side, just looking for something to turn on and not worry about. Have mild misophonia so need something extremely quiet

Happy to hear anyone's advice, or suggestions if anything looks out of place, this will be my first higher-end pc.

1. A few questions with the Config:
Is the 500w power supply enough to get by or should I be safe and get the 750w? Is there a noise difference?
2. Is the Samsung 960 worth the upgrade?

Saved Ticket #: 1812800
Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,998.00

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm BOLT X

Processor: Intel Core i7-8700K (6-Core) 3.70GHz

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z370 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 550W Lian-Li PE-550 (Supports up to GTX 1080)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 960 EVO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

Chassis Fans: Standard Black 140mm Fans

Edited by fjp_design - 02 Jan 2018 at 11:54pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 11:54pm
Truth is that under heavy load/gaming your fan is gonna be loud, no real way around that unless you put gpu under lc, but again under heavy load the fans of the lc will be a bit loud (not as loud as gpu fan tho). You can special order quiet fans but now we are talking $$$$. Plus with lc comes possibility of leak/pump failure, for both you gave to work on the system.

For psu the less load it carries = less stress /heat it has = its fan not being on as long and as high / possible longer life span.

Samsung is king in ssd right now one reason they make their own and consistently improve on the technology. If you can 960 pro has the best speed /quality/warranty.

When it comes to pcs specially high end, odds are something is going to go bad, so don't expect to have no issues at all, while a very few get lucky, most will have issues, ram can die, ssd/hdd goes bad, psu can fail, with liquid cooling you can have leaks or pump failure.

Just keep that in mind, we keep it real here.

Personally i like other models as we get more choices but if you are stuck on bolt, what you got is good, i would go 750w psu, 960 pro, if 32gb is good for wirk stuff tben that is good otherwise take it to 64 now, for gaming 8gb is good , 16gb is more than enough. H115i is the way to go and choose intel turbo boost for cpu oc.

Last i can't tell you what gpu unless you tell us native resolution of your monitor.

Perhaps you want to go with corsair ram for longer warranty, DS has only 1 year part, corsair is 3 or 5 year i believe.

Edited by DST4ME - 02 Jan 2018 at 11:55pm
fjp_design View Drop Down

Quote fjp_design Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:05am
Thanks for the feedback DST4ME, will definitely give me something to consider, I do like the aesthetics of the bolt but perhaps the Slade Pro would be more fitting. cheers.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:40pm
Our pleasure
 Post Reply Post Reply