FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BOLT X PRO

Post Date: 2017-11-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DeathBlooms View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: BOLT X PRO
    Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 2:10pm
Budget:
$4,300 Give or take for the computer itself.   

Expectations:
Workstation, reliable for 2-4 years of use. Upgradeable to a degree, keeping me going for those 2-4 years when I replace the comp with a fresh one. Capable of Rendering, 3d Modeling, Engineering with good performance and graphics. It is paired up with a LG 38-uc99-w (I know it is not a 4k monitor but the wide real estate without bezels in my way serves me well).

Usage
CAD/CAM workstation (AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit, SolidWorks, Etc.).

This is my first PC build. I have been a Mac user except for my previous workstation use. So much of this is new to me...so patience please :) . I am re-entering the world of design/manufacturing/engineering after 5 years of University and academia, that only led to accrued debt and a degree in Human Sciences so specialized that the job market failed me in my current demographic. That is the abridged version and boring, so back to the good stuff; my new DS Bolt X PRO. The specs are as follows:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Pre-built Digital Storm Bolt PRO
Exterior Finish: Exotic Paint Finish - Lust Red
Side Window: Edge to Edge Premium Acrylic
Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X (8-Core) 3.60GHz
Motherboard: ASRock X299E-ITX/ac (Intel X299 Chipset) (Mini-ITX) (Up to 1x PCI-E Device)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W Lian-Li PE-750 (Platinum Rated) (Supports up to GTX TITAN Xp)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: External USB - Blu-Ray Player (Blu-Ray 6x) & DVD/CD Writer
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (240GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x PNY Quadro P4000 8GB (Outputs: 4 x DisplayPort 1.4)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: Digital Storm HydroLux PRO (CPU Only)
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Fluid + Clear Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System)
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Red - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: High Static Pressure - Corsair Air Series SP140 Fans (2x 140mm)
Internal Lighting: Software Controlled Internal + Front Panel LED Lighting (Requires Airflow Control Upgrade)
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Factory Reset Feature (Restore Windows + Drivers) (Partition up to 50GB of Storage) WILL BE ADDING THE DISK
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value) WILL NOT INSTALL. WILL USE ESET AND BIT-DEFENDER.
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks USING THE AFOREMENTIONED MONITOR
Surge Shield: - No Thanks.
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks USING MY RAZER BLACK WIDOW V2 CHROMA
Mouse: - No Thanks USING MY RAZER BLACK MAMBA WIRELESS
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (          
MISC     Extra Bottle of Fluid By: Alex 11/2/2017     1     $49.00

Sub-Total:     $4,235.00
Tax (0%):     $0.00
Shipping:     $75.73
Grand Total:     $4,310.73

Thank you in advance everyone for your feedback. This is a very important computer for me make this life transition. I will be depending on the computer and Digital Storms service for daily productivity and livelihood. With that said, I by no means am a PC expert. I researched the best I knew how for my application and budget. I am sure I might have been able to some things different, but this process is a learning experience.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 2:48pm
Your first pc, perhaos you don't want to jump into a full lc system, otherwise be ready to work on it.

You sure 34gb ram is enough?

Please either use eset or bit defender, don't use both, security apps cause conflict with each other and don't make you any more secure. May i suggest eset and malwarebytes together instead, they compliment each other.

You got a ticket number for that build? I like to suggest some changes

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Your first pc, perhaos you don't want to jump into a full lc system, otherwise be ready to work on it.

You sure 34gb ram is enough?

Please either use eset or bit defender, don't use both, security apps cause conflict with each other and don't make you any more secure. May i suggest eset and malwarebytes together instead, they compliment each other.

You got a ticket number for that build? I like to suggest some changes

Thank you kindly for the reply.

I am not intimidated to work on the system. Draining, flushing, and maintaining the system would be done with an OCD eye either way. I rebuild classic vehicles and guitar amps for a hobby, so I should catch on quick; especially with veterans like yourself on the forum to guide me.

34 gb should be plenty. if not I can throw a few sticks in and get to 64.

I meant to say ESET and Malwarebytes, Bitdefender was a slip of the tongue. I picked ESET and Malwarebytes based on me lurking the forums. Would nod32 be enough or should I opt for the ESET Internet Security package? I know smart use of internet will go a long way in helping stay safe, but I really do not want a sick workstation, when I could avoid that.

Again thank you kindly for the response. I should have mentioned that this build is already ordered (stage 5). However, changes and recommendations are welcome, as I will learn. The hard way LOL.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 4:12pm
Ok so you are giid wuth lc then, its gonna ve easy for someone like you, you might actually appreciate it

For your ram you need to match them at the same timem its not like the oks days when we added ram to current, now you have to match them in the same batch otherwise its a pain, I would raise that now, its cheap.

Please change drives to Samsung, both ssds.

Change psu to evga if this ine is not modular.

For recovery get win 10 CD instead. When you get the pc and have everything setup, clone it to an external drive. Now you have a recovery drive with everything already setup, and it is separate from the current drive so if current drive goes bad you don't lose your recovery partition /drive due to them being on external drive.

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Nov 2017 at 4:14pm

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 4:38pm

Ok so you are giid wuth lc then, its gonna ve easy for someone like you, you might actually appreciate it

For your ram you need to match them at the same timem its not like the oks days when we added ram to current, now you have to match them in the same batch otherwise its a pain, I would raise that now, its cheap.

Please change drives to Samsung, both ssds.

Change psu to evga if this ine is not modular.

For recovery get win 10 CD instead. When you get the pc and have everything setup, clone it to an external drive. Now you have a recovery drive with everything already setup, and it is separate from the current drive so if current drive goes bad you don't lose your recovery partition /drive due to them being on external drive.

I think I will enjoy the LC system as well...only way to learn is by jumping in right?

Good to know about the ram....Will do!!

PSU... According to NEWEGG it is fully modular. "The LIAN LI PE-750 SFX power supply delivers robust power to all your PC components at a high 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency level. Its full modular design makes it possible to eliminate all unused cables. The interior of your case will stay neater and cooler. To further reduce the temperature of your power supply and the components near it, The LIAN LI PE-750 is designed with large-sized honey combo mesh on the rear panel, a 120mm top fan, and a well-ventilated grill over the fan."

Should I be wary with the Digital Storm SSD drives? I was planing to upgrade to two M.2 SSD PCIE NVME drives in a few months. Wanted to research a bit more regarding Manufacturer first, and wait until my $6,000 purchase (with monitor, keyboard, mouse, security etc.) this month settled a bit lol.

The Windows 10 CD was a request I sent in already. The cloning to external is a good bit of info. Will do that ASAP.

This is good info, thank you so very much. Your help has been invaluable.

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:05pm
Anyone want to chime in on which ESET security package to get paired with Malwarebytes 3.0 ...?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:05pm
Ok psu is good, good brand too.

Samsung makes their own ssd and are known for quality, l highly recommend you go samsung.

I have an easy clone Guide you can follow ket me know if you need it.

Only way to learn is to jump in if you can afford it

Speaking of which, plan your flushing ahead of time, ask for a drain valve or qcd at the bottom of loop.

I would go eset internet security but compare here

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Nov 2017 at 7:05pm

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 7:29pm

Ok psu is good, good brand too.

Samsung makes their own ssd and are known for quality, l highly recommend you go samsung.

I have an easy clone Guide you can follow ket me know if you need it.

Only way to learn is to jump in if you can afford it

Speaking of which, plan your flushing ahead of time, ask for a drain valve or qcd at the bottom of loop.

I would go eset internet security but compare here

Excellent, I am looking at the Samsung 950 EVO nvme as we speak. Think I will get those next month, so that I can get the 4 year manufacturer warranty. Cost a bit more, but the warranty for a workstation equals peace of mind.

I will definitely take you up on the clone guide. Thank you for that!!!

Internet Security was just ordered... I have Malwarebytes 3.0 in the box ready to go.

I like the idea of a drain valve at the bottom of the loop. Not sure what the qcd is, but a google search will tell me. Think it may be some quick disconnect.

Question is, since I am already in stage 5, what would this do to build ship time? I am sure they would want to stress test it? What is the added cost for that, or is there one?

I will email Alex now asking about that...

DST4ME, you have been ever so kind. I cannot thank you enough. ATM you are my digital storm Guru

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:55pm
Acronis true image or reflect, just remember you want to use the clone feature. For Cloning your m.2 you maybe forced to use reflect.

Clone Guide for acronis 2017

Clone Guide for Reflect the video here is a better guide

if you need help with either of those let me know.

If you don't ask DS to change to 960 pro then you will have to clone the DS ssd to 960 pro or reinstall windows or if you made a clone after setup, restore (clone back) from that drive.

did I day 960 pro enough times, cause 960 pro is the one you want, you know the 960 pro

Sorry QCD is quick disconnect, if you want to go that route let me know I will have to give you some info.

Ask Alex right away I'm sure there will be some extra cost/time (worth it IMHO) but Alex is good he will take good care of you, I made so many changes to my system it was not even funny.

Last I like to say thank you for your kind comment but to be honest we are a big family here and we help each other out a lot so I can't take full credit since without others I would not be able to do it all, we have a few good gurus here but we are all part of a team, so from all of us I say:

Our pleasure

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Nov 2017 at 8:57pm

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:18pm

Acronis true image or reflect, just remember you want to use the clone feature. For Cloning your m.2 you maybe forced to use reflect.

Clone Guide for acronis 2017

Clone Guide for Reflect the video here is a better guide

if you need help with either of those let me know.

If you don't ask DS to change to 960 pro then you will have to clone the DS ssd to 960 pro or reinstall windows or if you made a clone after setup, restore (clone back) from that drive.

did I day 960 pro enough times, cause 960 pro is the one you want, you know the 960 pro

Sorry QCD is quick disconnect, if you want to go that route let me know I will have to give you some info.

Ask Alex right away I'm sure there will be some extra cost/time (worth it IMHO) but Alex is good he will take good care of you, I made so many changes to my system it was not even funny.

Last I like to say thank you for your kind comment but to be honest we are a big family here and we help each other out a lot so I can't take full credit since without others I would not be able to do it all, we have a few good gurus here but we are all part of a team, so from all of us I say:

Our pleasure

It has amazed me as I lurked through the forums the past week or so, at the absence of negativity. I can see this forum as a family, and I look forward to learning, getting to know everyone, and helping however I may.
I will most definitely get the QCD or valve. Info regarding these will be greatly appreciated. Im sure they both have their advantages and disadvantages relative to one another.

Thank you for the info on cloning, I will give it a read as I fall into slumber.

Samsung SSD 960 pro will be my route next month.

I have emailed Alex, we will get it all sorted out. Thank you again. I know my intent was workstation, but my inner gamer is starting to come out. I know the graphics from my Bolt Pro cannot compete with my original NES from 1984, but I may get some game recommendations from everyone just in case.   

Thank You Again
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 9:27pm
If you gonna go the qcd route then ask for 2 tubes, one end of each will be open and the other end one will have a female qcd and the other will have a male qcd so you can connect these tubes to the line and drain from them. Take into account how long of a tube you want for flushing.

Good old NES

Our pleasure
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:31pm
Hey I just realized you are in bolt. I could be wrong but if things have not changed then the hydrolux pro in bolt, is actually aio and not the pro in other builds.

This means no quick disconnect or flush valve.

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:44pm

Hey I just realized you are in bolt. I could be wrong but if things have not changed then the hydrolux pro in bolt, is actually aio and not the pro in other builds.

This means no quick disconnect or flush valve.

Hmmm. This is what was under my option. "Custom liquid-cooling solution with a 240mm radiator that combines the pump, reservoir, and fluid level indicator into one compact unit. This custom cooling system keeps overclocked hardware running cool, quiet, and at peak performance."

I chose soft tubing, and red fluid....

I am confused now.

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:02am
What would be the difference between Digital Storms AIO and the other AIO options? If I understand you correctly the Hydrolux Pro for the bolt means the pump and reservoir are one unit,(shown in pic), and for other Hydrolux Pro LC systems the pump and reservoir are separate? If this is correct, what if any advantages of this option be over the other AIO options that warrant the extra $$

I am guessing the other Hydrolux Pro differences are the ability to choose tube and fluid color?

Would this being an AIO negate the need for flushing? Maintaining fluid level would still be necessary, as monitoring for leaks I assume.

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 12:24am
Upon a bit of web sleuthing I am guessing this is a Swiftech manufactured part along the lines of the H240 X2? I opted for upgraded (2X140mm) High Static Pressure fans, and added a bottle of fluid. Were these extras unnecessary?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:25am
Hi DeathBlooms,

Welcome to DS and congratulations on your order. Awesome

You are correct in that the Hydrolux Pro in the Bolt is a Swiftech. The main structural difference between the lc options is the ability to add the gpu with the HP and not the AIO's. (also fluid color and type of tubing).

You will love your system (specially after the Stage 8 testing  by DST4ME Wink) and DS. (reminder: 960 Pro) Big%20Smile

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:26am
Upon a bit of web sleuthing I am guessing this is a Swiftech manufactured part along the lines of the H240 X2? I opted for upgraded (2X140mm) High Static Pressure fans, and added a bottle of fluid. Were these extras unnecessary?

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:31am
Never-the-less, I wonder what cpu block and fittings they are currently using?

Did my super ninja skills just decode sub-text denoting that my new friend DST4ME will be hands on with my machine? Stage 8? Lol

Edited by DeathBlooms - 09 Nov 2017 at 1:43am

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by hoserator

Hi DeathBlooms,Welcome to DS and congratulations on your order. AwesomeYou are correct in that the Hydrolux Pro in the Bolt is a Swiftech. The main structural difference between the lc options is the ability to add the gpu with the HP and not the AIO's. (also fluid color and type of tubing).You will love your system (specially after the Stage 8 testing  by DST4ME Wink) and DS. (reminder: 960 Pro) Big%20Smile  

Thank You Sir for the confirmation. I am sure I will love the system, especially if it is stable, and our horrible rough-handed delivery men do not toss it around too much.

Thank You again, you have been a great help!!
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:36am
Don't know about the fluid. I have a couple of bottles that I will have to get rid of because of age but when you need it it's nice to have handy.
And the fans are really your call. I am a sucker for all upgrades so.......Big%20Smile

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:46am

Don't know about the fluid. I have a couple of bottles that I will have to get rid of because of age but when you need it it's nice to have handy.And the fans are really your call. I am a sucker for all upgrades so.......Big%20Smile

Yes upgrade, then upgrade some more lol. I fight the dichotomy of practicality, and shiny!!
I can justify a bit of the latter to reward my practicality regarding this workstation. (repeat until I convince myself)
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:51am
LOL
Yes, I want more.........who's practical using an Av as an adding machine!LOL
(no colors on mine, very serious lookingBig%20Smile)

Edited by hoserator - 09 Nov 2017 at 1:54am

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:00am

LOLYes, I want more.........who's practical using an Av as an adding machine!LOL(no colors on mine, very serious lookingBig%20Smile)

Haha, good thing is my prettier half is the one adding the shiny stuff, e.g. custom paint, led lighting, colored fluid, so it makes it easier. My concern is reliability and performance; however, style does boost FPS, or so I hear.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:04am
That's why we put decals on race cars, they look good! Big%20Smile When you show it no one asks what the specs or FPS are, they just stare....

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:19am
MMMM race cars, another great reason many of men went broke.

More decals please...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 2:51am
Just to clarify, it is confusing the Hydrolux Pro in the Bolt is the same unit as Hydrolux Lite in the other builds, a Swiftech.     The Bolt can’t fit the real Pro with its separate pump, reservoir, etc.      

Just me, but for CPU only , I would get a Corsair AIO unit for less chance of leaks, etc, but the Pro does have colored fluid.    For cpu and gpu cooling under water, the Pro is the pick.

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:10am
Originally posted by bprat22

Just to clarify, it is confusing the Hydrolux Pro in the Bolt is the same unit as Hydrolux Lite in the other builds, a Swiftech.     The Bolt can’t fit the real Pro with its separate pump, reservoir, etc.      

Just me, but for CPU only , I would get a Corsair AIO unit for less chance of leaks, etc, but the Pro does have colored fluid.    For cpu and gpu cooling under water, the Pro is the pick.

Thanks, I would consider the Corsair, but I'm in stage 5 lol...

I do appreciate your response. I think it was your post in the forum that confirmed my suspicion that it was the Lite.

Edited by DeathBlooms - 09 Nov 2017 at 7:33am

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 7:53am
Does anyone know what model Swiftech is in the Bolt X.

H240 x2 Prestige?

What about the CPU block? Apogee SKF? This is the only one I can find that fits the 2066 socket.

Also, since I upgraded the fans to High Static Pressure, would that be ok considering they are blowing out (pulling air through radiator opposed to pushing through) the top of the case?

My apologies for all the questions, the more I research and talk to others, the deeper this blackhole gets lol.

I do appreciate the responses.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:25am
My guess is that DS is using the ApogeeXL2 waterblock because of inventory but that's just a guess.  Good question and I'd shoot them an email and find out.

Let us know when you get an answer.  Big%20Smile

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:37am
Will do. Thank You bprat22...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:38am
My pleasure. Big%20Smile

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 9:58am
Waiting on a return email.. Clarification will allow the citizens to sleep in peace at night lol..
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:02am
The wait is killing me.

http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/uploads/6454/pullinghairoutmale.jpg

Quote DeathBlooms Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 10:47am
Trust me the sentiments are shared.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:00am
 Stay strong. Strong
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>