Post Date: 2017-10-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OnBake Platinum View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt X stock fans
    Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:49am
What are the stock fans on the bolt X? Are they special radiator fans? I fear that the corsair upgrade is for the name alone.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 7:43am
I don't understand the question.   If by upgrade you mean the DS branded cooler to the Corsair, then the Corsair uses SP140L fans last I looked.   The DS version I'm not sure but with Corsair you are getting their 5 year warranty vs. whatever system warranty with DS.  The DS branded might also be a Corsair unit, but not sure. 

The Pro cooler is a Swiftech unit and I believe they use Helix fans.  Swiftech website has all the specs, depending on the H220 , H240, etc.

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:04am
You answered my question perfectly. Now I know the cooler that they use (H240 X2 Prestige), and I see that it stock comes with Noiseblocker NB-eLoop fans which are supposedly superior to the Corsair ones. So the Corsair upgrade IS for name alone!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:11am
The upgrade is for name and the manufacturers warranty.   DS branded forgoes the manufacturers warranty, at least the last I heard.  
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 3:42pm
To add to what bp said, those corsair fans are case fans, you don't want to put those on a rad, for rad you want different fans.

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 7:51am
Does the bolt even have case fans? From what I can see, there are only 3 fans total: Two 140 radiator fans and a 120 PSU fan. No case fans.

I do have more questions about the bolt X. What is the block that says Digital Storm on top of the PSU? Is that an air channel or where the SSD lives? If I get no SSD, will that block be there?

Secondly, I saw in the Linus video that you can take of the top off the case and there is something attached to the top of the 140 radiator fans. Is that another skinny radiator or a dust filter or what? (Dust filter would be much appreciated)

Thank you much for your help!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:19pm
I'm not very familiar with bolt, but it doesn't really have fans, the top can fit fans but that is where the rad and its fans go, the function as both airflow and rad cooling if you will.

the ssd was in the back in the old ones I assume its the same on X.

the rad on top attaches to the top, the top can be removed giving you quick access to the rad on top. The top is just the mesh you see.

If the rad fans are sucking air and blowing it out the top, then a filter there will not help.

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Oct 2017 at 12:20pm

Quote OnBake Platinum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:41pm
Oh, it blows out the top like a volcano. So I guess that rad fans and the PSU fan suck from the interior of the case, which passively pulls in air from the rear vents of the case where everything plugs in. That's a pretty good design where the case doesn't even need active intake fans!

Also I figured out what that "block" is by zooming into customer photos of the bolt 3. It is indeed an air channel, maybe to help redirect air from the center zone of the case to the PSU and push it out of the case, and also put some flair over a PSU fan that isn't particularly spectacular to look at and can't be easily swapped with a fancy fan (or can it?).
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 12:56pm
It depends how ds installs it, i think i saw a post from another member who said his bolt blows in.

I wouldn't say like a volcano, they are not that high cfm.

Personally I rather have it suck air out from top instead of blowing in.

You don't want to mess with psu fan, that part on psu is the psu shroud

Edited by DST4ME - 09 Oct 2017 at 1:09pm
HarryK View Drop Down

Quote HarryK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:06am
I have 2 fans blowing air out the top of my case. Under normal usage, the airflow isn't particularly strong, but you can feel it if you put your hand over the fans. When the GPU kicks in during gaming, the fans on top push the air out more forcefully (and the air is noticeably warmer).

Sometimes just for giggles, I'll place a small piece of paper on top of my case just to watch it get blown off by the fans.

I am easily amused.
 Post Reply Post Reply