FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boot Disk & Windows 7 problem?

Post Date: 2012-06-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
artalan73 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote artalan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Boot Disk & Windows 7 problem?
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:03pm
Well, I just got my new system this past Friday and have been really enjoying it over the weekend. I ordered my system with just a SSD for the boot disk and planned to install a HDD for everything else after I got it.

The SSD is 128GB of which roughly a third of it is taken up by the OS and a few other things from the build process. Good deal, my remaining amount when I first started up my computer was a little over 80gb. I added a couple of small software programs to the boot disk that I felt would be fine, but for everything else I've been adding to the 2tb HD I installed.

Here's my problem, since first setting up my HDD, my SSD size has been slowly shrinking. In just a day it went from 80gb to 76.8gb. I'm calling this a software issue because I don't see the physical connection of the two drives when I decide to install on one versus the other, so this tells me something is going on in the OS that stuff keeps getting written to the SSD. I've tried to figure out the discrepancy in space though, because I can account for tens of megabytes, here and there, but not hundreds, and even gigabytes worth. At the very most I could expect a half a gig worth of space, but not several gigabytes worth. And everytime I install something on the HDD I look at the SSD size before and after, and so far it keeps reducing in its size a little bit each time.

Does this make sense what I'm saying? I have more space being chewed up on my SSD than I know I've used it for.

I'm worried I may have made a grave mistake going with the SSD for a boot drive because I don't want the damn thing to fill up. Even when I choose to put stuff on the larger HD, something is still writing to my SSD.

I did set my download folders to my larger drive and have cleared out anything else to ensure nothing else keeps getting added to my boot disk. What am I missing or not understanding about the way this works? Sorry for any lack of understanding on my part.
artalan73 View Drop Down

Quote artalan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 4:32pm
I am literally watching 100 megabyte chunks disappear every couple of moments from that SSD as I currently install a game onto my HDD right this moment. WTH?! I wrote down my number this time BEFORE the download- 76.8, and right now, in the middle of my download it says 76.3. I just don't understand.
Bobby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bobby Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 9:32pm
Sometimes...even though you're installing an application to a secondary drive, the setup files or some other file will still write to the default C drive which, in your case, is the SSD. Take a look in the documents folder and the windows temp folder to see if something is writing to them

edit: changed downloading to installing

Edited by Bobby - 17 Jun 2012 at 9:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply