Post Date: 2016-08-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
larysius View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote larysius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Build input
    Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 5:55am

Just looking for general input as to whether these parts I chose will work well together and whether the system will be at least reasonably quiet.

My budget is around $2200, but if I could get it professionally done, I'd rather have that. done.

Expectations: To run today's games and then some for at least a few years.  Longevity is the key as I don't want to have to build a system for a while.  I also hope it can be reasonably quiet.  I'm not a hardcore gamer, but want to be able to load one up and be able to play at mid or higher settings.

Usage: I presently play 7 Days to Die and ARK, but my laptop won't play higher than low for ARK.  7 Days plays fine on mid settings, but I play that regularly enough where I'd like to see that on it's highest settings.  I may have a browser window or two open with Skype running in the background, but that's probably about it.  If I could manage more like youtube or something while playing, that'd also be cool.

I don't have any special needs, just want to be able to have a system that will last a few years without upgrading.  Thank you in advance for your input Big%20SmileAwesome

Edited by larysius - 31 Aug 2016 at 5:57am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 6:30am
What res will be wanting to max these games?
larysius View Drop Down

Quote larysius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 8:51am
Originally posted by DST4ME

What res will be wanting to max these games?

1080p at the moment. I only have that monitor. However, if the system could handle it, I'd eventually like to go up to the 4K.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 11:17am
Few more questions please.

You said your budget is $2200 but your build is $2800. So what is the budget then?

to build a system for 1080p and 4k are going to be different. for 1080p a 1070 gtx is more then enough but for 4k you would want a single titan or sli 1080. Now on your budget neither will work but we could go with a single 1080 now adn then if you go 4k you can add another 1080 yourself. Problem with that is that you are going with a 1080 gtx for 1080p res which is overkill. Also to go with a system that has one 1080 gtx but can handle 2 will be over your budget.

so let me know what you like to do
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 12:56pm

You said your budget is $2200 but your build is $2800. So what is the budget then?

to build a system for 1080p and 4k are going to be different. for 1080p a 1070 gtx is more then enough but for 4k you would want a single titan or sli 1080. Now on your budget neither will work but we could go with a single 1080 now adn then if you go 4k you can add another 1080 yourself. Problem with that is that you are going with a 1080 gtx for 1080p res which is overkill. Also to go with a system that has one 1080 gtx but can handle 2 will be over your budget.

You see, that's what happened to me when I started creating my configuration. Here's a joke parody of what happened to me.

Budget: $1500

Beginning- Hmm, I'm already spending $1500, why not go up another $300. It'll improve the fps.

1 hour later- Well, I'm already at $1800. I might as well upgrade to the next level PC. Liquid cooling and over-clocking will be worth it.

2 hours later- You know, I think this PC is good. But since I'm spending $2300, I might as well spend the extra $800 to get 4k graphics.

End- Let's see. $3100. Not that bad.

Digital Storm's amazing upgrade system gets me every time.

Edited by Batman34 - 01 Sep 2016 at 12:59pm
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 1:33pm
LOl if we want the 4k performance we have to pay for it, but we sure do talk ourselves into things don't we
larysius View Drop Down

Quote larysius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 2:07pm

Hey DST4ME, thanks for the input. To answer your budget question, it ultimately all depended on value for my $. I'm not a novice when it comes to building systems so I could conceivably do it for just over $2k buying all the parts myself, hence the $2200 initial budget. But I'm being lazy, lol, and seeing just how much more it would cost to have it custom built. Other places have been only a couple hundred more, so the cost margin is a lot higher here. Part of my hesitation also had to do with shipping and return costs should something need fixing or breaks. I've read many C************* horror stories and that's not something I'd be interested in going through should I decide to invest extra $$ in a custom build. Not trying to put DST in the same basket as those guys, so hopefully you can understand my concern. Your reviews have been very positive, so that's why I came here :)

As far as 1080p vs. 4k, the goal is simply future-proofing. If I went to 4k down the road with this config, and all I had to do was add another GTX1080 and a new monitor, sweet, but I definitely don't have the funds for that kind of build now. Hence something I can add to later. I guess I'm not opposed to doing that with 1070s either, I'm just enammored by the 1080 and having the latest greatest stuff lol. Hope that helps some, sorry for my windedness.

Competitor's name removed.

Edited by Snaike - 03 Sep 2016 at 12:53am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:43pm
Thank you for that info, let me give you some info.

1. I'm a DS customer myself and not an employee, my/our advise here on the forum is purely neutral.

2. I build systems myself just like you, most of us here on the forums do, and just like you for one reason or another we just don't have the time.

3. building and testing and etc will cost us more money obviously.

4. I didn't go with other builders due to the fact that their customer service was nothing like DS.

Ok so now I understand better, for 1080p 1060 gtx will do however if you want to go 4k later that complicates things a bit.

If you are going 4k soon I would go single 1080 gtx now, if you are not sure when you will go 4k and it maybe in 2 years then I would go single 1070. The reasoning is simple, if you gonna go 4k soon then you will use the 1080, if you are going 4k in 2 years, I suggest going 1070 now and then upgrading gpu with monitor in 2 years, however if something changes and you go 4k sooner then you can just go sli 1070.

1080 config with 1000w psu for future gpu upgrades with good headroom:

Ticket Number: 1482947

now you can drop the psu to a 850w if you like. Another thing to consider here is to see if its cheaper if you order the system without ssd and/or gpu and see if getting those yourself maybe more cost effective.

1070 build with the same specs as above again feel free to change the psu and etc:

Ticket Number: 1482950

both of the above can do sli 1080/1070, or even sli titan pascal.

tell me what you think
larysius View Drop Down

Quote larysius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 4:58pm

Thank you for that info, let me give you some info.

1. I'm a DS customer myself and not an employee, my/our advise here on the forum is purely neutral.

2. I build systems myself just like you, most of us here on the forums do, and just like you for one reason or another we just don't have the time.

3. building and testing and etc will cost us more money obviously.

4. I didn't go with other builders due to the fact that their customer service was nothing like DS.

Ok so now I understand better, for 1080p 1060 gtx will do however if you want to go 4k later that complicates things a bit.

If you are going 4k soon I would go single 1080 gtx now, if you are not sure when you will go 4k and it maybe in 2 years then I would go single 1070. The reasoning is simple, if you gonna go 4k soon then you will use the 1080, if you are going 4k in 2 years, I suggest going 1070 now and then upgrading gpu with monitor in 2 years, however if something changes and you go 4k sooner then you can just go sli 1070.

1080 config with 1000w psu for future gpu upgrades with good headroom:

Ticket Number: 1482947

now you can drop the psu to a 850w if you like. Another thing to consider here is to see if its cheaper if you order the system without ssd and/or gpu and see if getting those yourself maybe more cost effective.

1070 build with the same specs as above again feel free to change the psu and etc:

Ticket Number: 1482950

both of the above can do sli 1080/1070, or even sli titan pascal.

tell me what you think

I like the idea of a beefier power supply for sli use later, so the 1070 would certainly do then for my needs, cuz as you suggest, 4k for me would be a year or two down the road at least.

For storage, I was wondering then, does the z170 not support the nvme standard (unless I missed it, didn't see it) and if not, how much speed difference would I realistically see, if any by using the nvme drives vs. Standard 2.5" sata 3 ssds?

Other than that, switching to the 400q case for quieter operation would probably be the only change I could see making because memory and storage can be upgraded later.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 4:05am
If you want a quiet system then you need to put the sytem under lc with low dba fans. Otherwise 90% of your noise will come from the gpus's fan, and there is no way to combat that, when the system is not underload the system will be quiet, but under load it won't be, the 400q at best gets rid of 5dba, but that is not gonna make a difference to the noise of the gpu or your system. On top of that your system will be running a bit warmer since for you to get close to that 5dba reduction you will have to keep the top closed which inturn will make the temps inside the case a bit warmer due to lack of airflow.

For 1080p a 1070 gtx is more than enough.

m.2 drives are very fast if you get a good one like samsung or intel, samsung being the first choice here. I didn't add it in the config due to price ristriction, I was trying to be close to budget since I had already been over the $2200, but ya I would go with the second config of 1070 and add the 950 pro in place of the 850.

For gaming 16GB is to cover you for the future so I doubt you will need to add more ram.

Storage you can add again I skipped it to keep price down and its an easy upgrade, I would go with the 1tb 850 evo/pro for storage, again that can be added later when prices are better.
 Post Reply Post Reply