Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
James Brian View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote James Brian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Buying Advice
    Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 10:31pm
Hello all,
I am trying to find a laptop for my daughter. She is attending an online college and her old laptop needs to be replaced. I have searched all over for a laptop I can afford and I have found a few All of them have the right software but they differ in memory, processor speed, and disk space. She will be using one drive so I guess disk space is not a priority but I could use some advice on which laptop is best for productivity programs. Is there a difference in performance between AMD and Intel?
Computer Engineer
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 5:39am
I don't do much with laptops but my device is to decide on your budget and what screen size you want. The 15" is more portable for carrying around and the 17" is more screen to play on.

For productivity you don't need the high end sli model like the Banshee, a single video card like the gtx 1070 being a great choice.

Stick with Intel at this time, their CPU being stronger.   AMD is about to release newer, more competitive chips but time will tell.

For productivity, stick with a i7 CPU like the i7-6700 or i7-7700 for their quad core with hypertheading for the added threads.    The "k" versions, like 7700k, does have a higher clock speed over non k, which can be helpful if budget allows.   The "k" also allows overclocking but that's not usually done on a laptop due to heat issues.

Hope this steers you in the right direction.
 Post Reply Post Reply