FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can a newb have pretty things?

Post Date: 2016-02-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mlapgw View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mlapgw Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Can a newb have pretty things?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 8:32pm
I really like the way the hardline water cooled systems look. Additionally, I live in the desert so like the idea of how this system would keep my CPU and GPUs cooler.

There are two issues I come up against.

1. My desk. My desk is situated so that the computer must be in one spot. Unfortunately that means the window is facing a piece of wood instead of me. My desk was expensive, not buying a new one. Are there cases that are flipped so the window is on the opposite side of where it normally is? Otherwise, in my situation, it seems pointless to have a window or lights.

2. Water cooling and newbs. Is there a lot of maintenance involved with the HydroLux Pro Hard Line? I would likely hang on to this system 5-6 years. During that time I'd want to upgrade the graphics cards 1-2 times. Is that something I'd have to take my computer to a shop to do? Not likely I'd box it up and send it to DS. I have changed out air cooled graphics cards but obviously thats not the same.

ASUS P6x58D | Intel 980x | Noctua NH-D14 | EVGA 680GTX FTW | 12 GB Ballistix Tracer | Soundblaster ZXR
Corsair HX750W | Crucial M4 512 SSD | Crucial M4 128 SSD | Cooler Master HAF 932 | Dell U2711
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 11:45pm
1. only the Aventum and Velox are reversed with the mobos flipped upside down.  all other non custom cases are left side windowed and oriented "traditionally".  that means you can get a Hailstorm, which is roughly of a size as the Aventum, and have multiple/large-sized rads installed.

2.  if you get acrylic or copper/nickel tubing you won't be able to easily swap out graphics cards/cpu/etc. (whatever is water cooled).  you'll have to drain the loop and disassemble the hardline tubing.  however, if you get the flexible tubing with quick disconnects, you won't have to disassemble the loop.  the quick disconnects isolate the component being removed and you can easily poor out any little bit of coolant into a bucket before removing the small section of tube and water block to the vid card or cpu. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 3:06am
The Silverstone TJ11 also has the mobo facing out a right side window.   However, it's expensive, huge and the mobo is flipped 90 degrees, with I/o panel and graphics ports facing up.   
 Post Reply Post Reply