FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Case and Rad Fans Help

Post Date: 2012-01-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gpaint View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Gpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Case and Rad Fans Help
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 1:30pm
Hey Everyone,

So I can not justify upgrading hardware on my computer as it still crushes anything I attempt with it BUT I can justify making the case more funDrooling

I have a dual loop watercooling setup and the fans are wearing out and loud these days so it's time to swap them out. Apparently any 120mm fans will do but I want to get advice from the community on what is BEST for my setup. All the fans it came with are Zalman and Im not sure what cfn or decibel levels they are but Im sure I can improve from whats there now. Ill list what Im looking for:

My aesthetic preference is white bladed fans w/ or w/o LEDs, Quiet, but priority is on better cooling

3x Replacement fans for triple rad on top of hailstorm case

2x replacement fans for double rad mounted outside the back of the case. The bottom one has a metal coil on the outside of it, not sure if that's needed or why...maybe so fingers can't get clipped?

1 x Case fan in middle of Hailstorm between PSU section and Main Section

1 x Hard-drive bay area case fan

Open to suggestion of other areas fan placement could be fun

So basically If someone could point me to a good brand or any specifics that would help alot. I'm not sure what my priority should be on fan speed or air movement when adding fans to a Radiator...

Thanks!!

Drooling
Intel i7 930 @4.27GHz
EVGA x58 FTW3
Hailstorm - 6GB DDR3 1600mhz
Dual Nvidia GTX 480 1.5GB
Corsair GT Force SSD (180GB) - Western Digital 1TB (64MB)
Full Sub Zero Cooling
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:14pm
Well if you went with the default rads then you are kinda short, you have to go with high fans that are loud.

if you got the xspc "RX" series then I can show you great quiet fans for them.

so you have the 800d also just like me, you want to make the fans it has led? look at my case an notice the 3 led fans my case has (mine was modded so it does not have the divider between psu and mobo and there is a fan there also, so your should have room for 4 fans, the 3 on mine that you see and the one on your divider).

so you looking to get those 4 case fans led? if so what color?
Gpaint View Drop Down

Quote Gpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:34pm
I never did specify what type so I suppose that puts me at the default. I'm not sure how to verify. Although the reservoir does say xspc and it was never loud at all, that is until the two fans started going out. Sounds like a diesel truck right now haha

White or Blue LED. I'm hoping to find fans that are white blades with black housing.

Ill probably leave the divider in for now but that is pretty nifty how yours is setup

Also while I'm at it I was curious. For airflow the top fans are blowing out and the back rad has one blowing out of the case and the bottom of the rad has one blowing back towards the case. Some forums I saw say having the air pushing through the top rad into the case could be better. Any opinion?
Intel i7 930 @4.27GHz
EVGA x58 FTW3
Full Sub Zero Cooling
Gpaint View Drop Down

Quote Gpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 4:30pm
on second thought...I'm going to change everything to red. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any memory fans I can find that are red instead of blue. The fan dilemma remains
Intel i7 930 @4.27GHz
EVGA x58 FTW3
Full Sub Zero Cooling
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:42pm
Ok lets see.

You have the default xspc rads not the rx.

I think I was not clear, mine was modded to allow room for 4 gpus, there is no reason for you to take yours out nor do I recommend you do, keep it and change the 140mm fan on it.

ok so as I said before I have the same case as you, so you can have a 140mm fan on the divider, another on the top hdd cage and below that a 120mm fan on the lower hdd cage just like mine.

now as for your rads and exhaust, I'm not sure what size fans you are using, do have the default 140mm inside the case in the top back for exhaust? if yes then that should be changed also like mine.

I'm gonna send you to the same place I got my fans tho they have some new lines available now:

go here and check out the 140mm xlf fans, those are the same as mine, the new line they have is the xaf on page 3.

once you picked your 140mm led fans, then match the 120mm fans to it from the same place, that way you system will look the same no matter size of your fans.

Ask DS to get a corsair ram fan and paint the blades for you red, if you look at my system that is what I have for my ram fan.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Jan 2012 at 9:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply