Post Date: 2017-09-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CCleaner 5.33 is infected.
    Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:39pm
If you use CCleaner, please make sure that you're not using version 5.33.

Download 5.34 ASAP.

This CCleaner version is infected with malware.

https://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=89944a59369b1a64c7d30bb0901943a2&showtopic=48869
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:05pm
I'm currently running V5.24
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 5:39pm
Keep in mind it was tge 32bit that was infected so those of you that have 64bit don't freak out, everyone regardless of 32bit or 64 bit should uninstall, do a scan with upto date MB and AV and then reinstall 5.34

Edited by DST4ME - 18 Sep 2017 at 10:50pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 12:38am
Thanks for the heads up. I was wondering why it had a warning pop-up box telling me that I needed to update to 3.34 immediately, as I had never seen that before. 

Edited by Tidgxor - 19 Sep 2017 at 12:41am
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:30am

Here is the official word from Piriform, who makes CCleaner.

=================================

Dear CCleaner customers, users and supporters,

We would like to apologize for a security incident that we have recently found in CCleaner version 5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191. A suspicious activity was identified on September 12th, 2017, where we saw an unknown IP address receiving data from software found in version 5.33.6162 of CCleaner, and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191, on 32-bit Windows systems. Based on further analysis, we found that the 5.33.6162 version of CCleaner and the 1.07.3191 version of CCleaner Cloud was illegally modified before it was released to the public, and we started an investigation process. We also immediately contacted law enforcement units and worked with them on resolving the issue. Before delving into the technical details, let me say that the threat has now been resolved in the sense that the rogue server is down, other potential servers are out of the control of the attacker, and we’re moving all existing CCleaner v5.33.6162 users to the latest version. Users of CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 have received an automatic update. In other words, to the best of our knowledge, we were able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm.

Technical description
An unauthorized modification of the CCleaner.exe binary resulted in an insertion of a two-stage backdoor capable of running code received from a remote IP address on affected systems.

The suspicious code was hidden in the application’s initialization code called CRT (Common Runtime) that is normally inserted during compilation by the compiler. This code modification was executed by the following function calls (functions marked by red represent the CRT modifications):

This modification performed the following actions before the main application’s code:

It decrypted and unpacked hardcoded shellcode (10 kB large) - simple XOR-based cipher was used for this.
    The result (16 kB in size) was a DLL (dynamic link library) with a missing MZ header.
    This DLL was subsequently loaded and executed in an independent thread.
    Afterwards, a normal execution of CRT code and main CCleaner continued, resulting in the thread with payload running in the background.

Illustration of patched CRT code (see the added call to a payload-decryption routine in the modified version):

The code executed within that thread was heavily obfuscated to make its analysis harder (encrypted strings, indirect API calls, etc.). The suspicious code was performing the following actions:

It stored certain information in the Windows registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Piriform\Agomo:
        MUID: randomly generated number identifying a particular system. Possibly also to be used as communication encryption key.
        TCID: timer value used for checking whether to perform certain actions (communication, etc.)
        NID: IP address of secondary CnC server
    Besides that, it collected the following information about the local system:
        Name of the computer
        List of installed software, including Windows updates
        List of running processes
        MAC addresses of first three network adapters
        Additional information whether the process is running with administrator privileges, whether it is a 64-bit system, etc.
    All of the collected information was encrypted and encoded by base64 with a custom alphabet.
    The encoded information was subsequently submitted to an external IP address 216.126.x.x (this address was hardcoded in the payload, and we have intentionally masked its last two octets here) via a HTTPS POST request. There was also a [fake] reference to “Host: speccy.piriform.com” in communication.
    The code then read a reply from the same IP address, providing it with the functionality to download a second stage payload from the aforementioned IP address. The second stage payload is received as a custom base64-encoded string, further encrypted by the same xor-based encryption algorithm as all the strings in the first stage code. We have not detected an execution of the second stage payload and believe that its activation is highly unlikely.
    In case the IP address becomes unreachable, a backup in the form of DGA (domain name generator) activates and is used to redirect communication to a different location. Fortunately, these generated domains are not under the control of the attacker and do not pose any risk.

At this stage, we don’t want to speculate how the unauthorized code appeared in the CCleaner software, where the attack originated from, how long it was being prepared and who stood behind it. The investigation is still ongoing. We want to thank the Avast Threat Labs for their help and assistance with this analysis. 

Again, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience this incident could have caused to our clients; we are taking detailed steps internally so that this does not happen again, and to ensure your security while using any of our Piriform products. Users of our cloud version have received an automated update. For all other users, if you have not already done so, we encourage you to update your CCleaner software to version 5.34 or higher, the latest version is available for download here. 

Thank you,

Paul Yung
    VP Products

Edited by forrest74 - 19 Sep 2017 at 6:33am
    DST4ME View Drop Down
    DS ELITE
    DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:31am
    From malwarebytes:

[Updated] Infected CCleaner downloads from official servers

Posted: September 18, 2017 by Pieter Arntz
    Last updated: September 19, 2017

Update (9/19/2017):

Avast posted a clarification explaining what happened and giving a timeline of the events. One point we should take note of is that the breach preceded the take-over of Piriform by Avast.

Users that are unsure whether they were affected by this and whether their data may have been sent to the C2 server can check for the presence of the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Piriform\Agomo

This key is not created by any clean versions of CCleaner, just by the infected ones.

Malwarebytes will detect the presence of that said key and flag it as Trojan.Floxif.Trace

Original post:

In a supply chain attack that may be unprecedented in the number of downloads, servers hosting CCleaner, a popular tool for cleaning up the PC, has been delivering a version of the said software with malware.
    What happened?

Threat actors have managed to change the files that were being delivered by Avast servers hosting CCleaner updates. In case you are wondering why they were on those servers, Avast acquired Piriform, the original publishers of CCleaner, a few months ago.

The incident was discovered and reported by Talos. Piriform is aware of the situation and is acting to prevent further damage. They are also investigating how the files coming from their servers were modified before being released to the public.

compromised version
    Possible impact

It is difficult to say at this moment how many users might have been affected, but the numbers could be huge. From the statistics brought out by Piriform, CCleaner has been downloaded 2 billion times in total, 5 million times every week. The modified version, 5.33, is made available from August 15 until September 12 when version 5.34 was released. In a press statement the company estimates that 2.27 million people used the affected software.
    The malware

The malware collects the following information about the infected system:

Computer name
        A list of installed software, including Windows updates
        A list of the currently running processes
        The MAC addresses of the first three network adapters
        Other system information that is relevant for the malware like admin privileges, whether it is a 64-bit system, etc.

The malware uses a hardcoded C2 server and a domain generating algorithm (DGA) as a backup, to send information about the affected system and fetch the final payload.

blocked IP
    What to do if you think you are affected?

First of all, check the version of CCleaner on your system. If you suspect you may have downloaded CCleaner version 5.33.6162 or CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191, scan your system for malware.

Detection and Protection

CCleaner users that are running older versions or that do not trust the one they are using now are encouraged to update their CCleaner software to version 5.34 or higher. The latest version is available for download here.

Affected versions: CCleaner version 5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191

Malwarebytes blocks the IP and domains related to this malware. We also remove the malicious installer.

Stay safe!

source

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Sep 2017 at 8:58am
    FR3SHM3AT View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote FR3SHM3AT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:22pm

When Installing 5.33 ...If you chose no the install of google chrome
    and it's infected updater...The registry key was not created...

Most likely why they left it out of 5.34

Well At least in my experiment...

[On my laptop, lol not experimenting on my DS]

To the point...You can't trust any software anymore

Can't remember how many people I have recommended CCleaner too.

Edited by FR3SHM3AT - 19 Sep 2017 at 1:22pm
    DST4ME View Drop Down
    DS ELITE
    DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 11:40pm
    Also not all versions of 5.33 were infected, only build 6162
    oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
    DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 10:44pm
    My Malwarebytes caught the Trojan before it did damage and then I got the CC update. Whew. I also got hacked through Ebay/PayPal and they hit my Amazon account. THAT was a huge mess. Amazon stopped everything, rebooted my account through Amazon Canada and payed for all damage. Even got a $500 gift card from Amazon. I've been an Amazon customer from the beginning in the 1990s with never an issue.
    Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Post Reply Post Reply