FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Comments for a new build?

Post Date: 2015-10-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ntourniquetn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ntourniquetn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Comments for a new build?
    Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 11:43pm
Hi All

this 'll be my 3rd DS machine. been very happy with previous purchaes

Budget:
3500 ish, better below 3000

Usage:
Future gaming (aren't confident about current machine's performance on fallout 4)

also do heavy graphic works and 3D renderings / computations

Probably will run on 1440+ dual monitors

Specifications:
Chassis
Chassis Model: Corsair Obsidian 550D

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 5960X 3.0GHz (Eight-Core) (Extreme Performance)

Motherboard: ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 (Intel X99 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA (750 B1)

Storage / Connectivity
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 (Extreme Performance)

H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)

let me know what you guys think.

much appreciated

thanks & peace
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 3:37am
Hi ntourniquetn.....The 980ti should have no problem with Fallout 4 or any game at 1440p.    If your other monitors are for web,etc and not tri monitor gaming then it looks good.

My biggest doubt is the Noctua with the over locked 8 core chip.   For years I've been recommending Noctua over the sealed units for the performance and reliability.   But, the 5960x and its 8 core is going to throw a lot of heat.   The Noctua in the Slade 550d closed case might get warm.   

I would ask DS what their testing shows with that combo.   Water cooling is tops in that situation with the sealed 240mm AIO a bit better than Noctua in the tests I remember seeing for 8 cores.   I can't find the links that show AIO vs Noctua with higher over clocks in 6 and 8 core.

Change the 750watt B1 for the other EVGA 750watt for a better unit with much longer warranty..

db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:06am
air coolers depend on the ambient air temps inside the case to cool the cpu.  you can run those case fans at 100% and still not hear much outside the case when it's closed up.  i've listened to a review/demo of that very thing and it was impressively quiet.  the D15 should be fine on a 5960X mildly (up to 4.5Ghz) oc'd with the case fans blowing at/near 100%.  i wouldn't be running small fft prime95 torture tests on it though.

besides, that D15 is better than most closed loop coolers.    

Edited by db188 - 27 Oct 2015 at 4:07am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:18am
Originally posted by db188

air coolers depend on the ambient air temps inside the case to cool the cpu. .......   

Don't the 980ti dump their exhaust inside the case? ??
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:28am
Hi hoserator.....The Strix type multi fans do but not the reference single fan.   They all radiate some heat into the case but the one listed by the OP doesn't dump the heat into the case.

All coolers, even custom water and AIO depend on ambient air in the case, unless the fans are pointed in.   
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:50am
actually, in the case of water cooling, the heat is transferred rapidly via the liquid to the radiator where the rad fans blow it out of the case.  there is some thermal transfer inside the case to be sure, but that is (one) advantage of a water loop over an air cooler. 

now, if you have a config where graphics cards and the cpu air cooler are dumping heat into a closed case with sound deadening material installed, well, you have an...oven!  then it comes down to how fast the case fans can blow all that heat out of the case.  like i said, you can run those case fans at 100% in the 550D and barely hear it (at least from a youtube vid i watched/listened to).  even if the case fans are pushing that hot air out really fast, you'll still see your component's thermals bouncing all over the place as the hot air glides over them. 

here's a [email protected] cooled by the D15 article: http://www.theoverclocker.com/noctua-nh-d15/

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:21am
Agreed. Big%20Smile     Water and AIO's will keep the heat out of the case better than Air for sure, but what I meant was that the temps of the ambient air in the case will effect the cooling, rad or air, as the fans in both cases blow that air through the cooling medium.  

For a closed case like 550D,.a top mounted 240mm or even rear mounted 120mm rad will do a better job of keeping case temps down.   I personally would get a 760T or similar case and stick with Noctua. 

I like that link, db.   Noctua is still my choice.  Unless I end up in AIO just to have something new to play with.  I get bored easily.  Big%20Smile

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 6:39am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi hoserator.....The Strix type multi fans do but not the reference single fan.   They all radiate some heat into the case but the one listed by the OP doesn't dump the heat into the case.

All coolers, even custom water and AIO depend on ambient air in the case, unless the fans are pointed in.   

Hi bpratt,
Thanks for the correction, OopsBig%20Smile
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 2:20pm
@bprat22,

i agree with liquid cooling the 550D is a better option.  i read the spec sheet on it and it says it supports 240mm and 280mm, but i think the 280mm has to be a specific product (one that supports a thin rad).  in any case, real world temps in that case under load with an oc'd 5960X between 4.1 and 4.5 Ghz is going to see cpu temps in the high 80's-90's (still under the 105-degree max Intel recommends), which could very well cause throttling and power delivery issues under some use cases. 

the op didn't state the intent to achieve a high oc with this config.  up to 4.0 Ghz, thermal performance should be well under control.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote ntourniquetn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 4:29pm
Hi guys, thanks so much for all the suggestions.

it seems I do need to consider about high temp in this case. The only reason I chose the slade is its magnetic dust filters, my HAF tower trap so much dust in places I couldn't reach.

my room temp is around 20 C. I'm totally fine with a 4.0G OC or even 3.8, 3.9 for the 8 cores for lower temp. I do like the noctua fans, which I had before, it just seems requires no maintenance, I don't know anything about liquid cooling or how often I need to change the liquid, my goal is to do no upgrades and not even open my tower case in 4 years until I get a new one from DS in the future. (I'm very lazy as you can tell)

I might consider get a higher air flow case or keep the 550D open all the time, Do you guys think the D15 will keep the 8 core in good temperature @ 4.0Ghz? The heaviest task I have for this cpu will be 24 - hour long 3D rendering.

thanks again for all the help!
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:58pm
i think you're fine with this case either with air or water.  the D15 will last forever with an occasional fan replacement.  an AIO/CLC won't last forever.  the pump will give out eventually.  you don't need to open up the case either with an air cooler.  like i said, you can run the cpu and case fans at 100% and the noise won't bother most people.  an oc of 4Ghz isn't going to torture the cpu either.  if you're worried about the case get the Apollo with the same build in it.  
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 2:46am
One of the great things about Noctua or any high end air cooler is that they just work, year after year with no pump, hosing, firmware, etc to worry about.   D15 should be fine with that overclock.    

I personally like a little eye candy with a custom gaming rig. Slade 550d is a great looking, clean case for those that want minimal dust and no lighting like a bedroom at night.   I would never scrimp on components to afford lights but flash works for me. Just me.

Be aware that Noctua is Large and probably the heat sink and or inboard fan will overhand a ram slot or two.   The slots can be used but to remove a stick might involve unclipping the fan which is simple. Just wanted to give a FYI.

Looks great and keep us updated.

Clay View Drop Down

Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 12:26pm
Looks pretty sweet!
I7 13700KF 5.4hz
ASUS Prime z790 MoBo
ASUS Dual 4070
32g ram@5200
850 Gold PSU
1TB SSD 2TB SSD
27" ASUS Monitor 144hz
Razer Ornata Chroma Keyboard
Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse
Nari Ultimate Headset
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 12:43pm
Hi ntourniquetn,

With only one SSD in the 550D you could remover the two HDD cages so you have unrestricted air flow to the GPUs. At the very least I would remove at least one cage. That would still leave you room for three HDDs.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 01 Nov 2015 at 12:45pm

Quote ntourniquetn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 11:28am
Hi All, thanks for all your great feedback.

I'm thinking about revising the build a bit for various concerns:

1) change the 5960x to 5820, I think the 8 core is a bit overkill for some of the tasks I do, it will cut down on heat and save me some $, also I'm not planning on SLI

2) get the 32G 2666 vengeance memory, my question is do all the rams run actually at 2666 MHz or a bit lower? is there a noticeable difference in quality between the vengeance and DS certified memory?

3) anyone has experience compatibility issues for Window 10 Pro with various games / software ? (like photoshop, rhino, maya, Autodesk products. etc)

thank you!

Edited by ntourniquetn - 03 Nov 2015 at 11:29am
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 12:49pm
the vengeance memory will have an XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) one click setting in the bios.  this enables higher performance timings automatically w/o needing to manually set them up and test in the bios.  ram will run at it's stated speed.  sometimes the mobo has a default speed and you have to set it yourself in the bios.  from the pics i've been seeing on social media it looks to me more and more that DS is using ADATA for the generic memory allocation even though they state they source from multiple vendors.  ADATA is kind of a cheap brand in my opinion, so ymmv.  that being said, if you aren't interested in maximizing performance at the expense of increased cost (especially performance that most casual users wouldn't really notice) than stick with the DS-certified ram. 

i haven't migrated to W10 yet.  my friends who have have not reported any issues with any games they play.  they're all on W10 Pro. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Gigabyte M28U 4K
 Post Reply Post Reply