FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Compatibility Questions

Post Date: 2016-03-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BushMaster22 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BushMaster22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Compatibility Questions
    Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 4:05pm

I've got an old Digital Storm PC collecting dust (circa 2007) that I would like to bring back to life, update, and to play some more modern games. Currently I'm playing mostly Blizzard games, but will likely be playing things like Battlefront in the future.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, but I'm on a pretty tight budget for now.

The pc I have has hardware that is 32bit and XP OS so I'd like to jump to 64bit and get a new mobo with DDR4 RAM.

I already have the following:

Windows 7 (and can upgrade to 10 for free)

Tower case with fans

750wt Thermaltake PS (are 9yr old PS connectors compatible with the Z170?)

2 Disk drives

1 WD Black 1TB HD (7200 rpm)

GPU NVidia GTX 650 (which I would like to continue to use for now, but will likely replace it in the next 6 to 12 months with a GTX 970...just not yet)

I'd like to replace the Mobo, CPU, and RAM with these parts:

*ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

*Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5GHz

*CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)

I really wanted some feed back before I make a purchase to make sure I'm not overlooking any compatibility issues as I am not tech-savy at all.

One other detail is that there is no wifi capability on my current pc, but by adding the Z170 Mobo...I'm hoping to go wireless with that upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'll need to add a wireless card to that motherboard or if there's one already built in.

Hopefully I'm asking the right questions and I've provided the correct info. If I'm overlooking something, please let me know.

Thanks for your help and comments.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 3:34am
Hi BushMaster22.... The mobo, ram and CPU are all compatible.   You might also have to buy another CPU cooler, but not sure.    

The older psu I couldn't say without a model number. The wattage should be fine even with the age of the supply effecting its output.   You would have to have a 24 pin mobo cable connector and a 8 pin mobo connector for the CPU.

Are your drives the older IDE type? If so, you'll need IDE to SATA adapters to make them compatible.   Pretty sure you do have SATA drives from the 2007 era.   
I know budget might be tight, but you might save yourself a lot of headaches buying a new rig or all new components up front.

The motherboard listed does not have WIFI onboard. You'd need a PCIE card or USB. Wifi adapter.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 25 Mar 2016 at 5:07am

Quote BushMaster22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:13am
Thanks for the quick, knowledgeable, and honest response. Much appreciated! Even the DS forums rock compared with reddit.

I guess I've got to weigh the options of spending $900 to upgrade the equipment I have with the same spec parts from a new $1500 Vanquish 5 (config# 1390323). Tough call...I like new...but lack funds right now and I hate leaving more functioning parts on the tech grave yard pile.

It's been 5 years since my last DS pc...maybe it's time for a 3rd one. Smile
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:17am
Don't just count the $900 for the upgrade, you'll also need a warranty after it's all put together.

If it were me I would save for new. But, again, that's just me.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:27am
I would seriously consider the Vanquish 5 lvl 3 for the extra money.  It is more money and sometimes the wallet says, not just yet, but you could spend the $900 and then have to add the cooler and maybe a new power supply.   Plus, if the parts have any issues, like not booting or no power after all your work, then what?   If you can troubleshoot it yourself then that's good, but then you have to send back the parts, wait and try again.  Not to talk you out of building, chances are all will go well, but just things to ponder.   I love troubleshooting and pulling things apart but not everyone does.

Let us know and stay in touch.  Big%20Smile

Quote BushMaster22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:54am
Nice sales job Snaike! That's pretty much what I was already thinking...buy a new pc.

Thanks for the nudge...guys. Now, how to convince the wife? Oops
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 11:07am
A nice glass of Merlot works.   Big%20Smile
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by BushMaster22

I've got an old Digital Storm PC collecting dust (circa 2007) that I would like to bring back to life, update, and to play some more modern games. Currently I'm playing mostly Blizzard games, but will likely be playing things like Battlefront in the future.

I'm looking for the best bang for the buck, but I'm on a pretty tight budget for now.

The pc I have has hardware that is 32bit and XP OS so I'd like to jump to 64bit and get a new mobo with DDR4 RAM.

I already have the following:

Windows 7 (and can upgrade to 10 for free)

Tower case with fans

750wt Thermaltake PS (are 9yr old PS connectors compatible with the Z170?)

2 Disk drives

1 WD Black 1TB HD (7200 rpm)

GPU NVidia GTX 650 (which I would like to continue to use for now, but will likely replace it in the next 6 to 12 months with a GTX 970...just not yet)

I'd like to replace the Mobo, CPU, and RAM with these parts:

*ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

*Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5GHz

*CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)

I really wanted some feed back before I make a purchase to make sure I'm not overlooking any compatibility issues as I am not tech-savy at all.

One other detail is that there is no wifi capability on my current pc, but by adding the Z170 Mobo...I'm hoping to go wireless with that upgrade, but I'm not sure if I'll need to add a wireless card to that motherboard or if there's one already built in.

Hopefully I'm asking the right questions and I've provided the correct info. If I'm overlooking something, please let me know.

Thanks for your help and comments.

you're certainly due for a new pc.  for the parts you want to reuse:  keep in mind that power supplies degrade/lose efficiency over time and 9 years is a long time.  personally, i wouldn't trust a new mobo/cpu/ram power delivery to that old of a psu.  at least have it's voltages checked prior to installation.  

same goes for your drives.  check them for errors/bad sectors prior to putting them into a new build. 

battlefront is a very demanding game, that 650 isn't going to provide you with the greatest experience.  in fact the min sys reqs for it state a 660 2GB card. 

the mobo choice does not incl wi-fi from what i can tell.  an add-in card will be needed. 

the I5 is a good choice for people who want to upgrade to the current mainstream cpu; however, unless you plan on overclocking the "K" sku isn't needed and you can save a few bucks on the 6600.

Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K

Quote BushMaster22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 4:24pm
Didn't know that about the CPU's K sku...good to know...nice tip.

GTX970 was planned for future purchase to play BF...I'd never attempt to use the 650.

I guess it's time to retire the old system. What to do with the really cool case?

Thanks for the feedback DB188.

Quote BushMaster22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 6:53pm
One other quick question...does the Z170 mobo on the Vanquish 5 (level 3) support SLI? I'm just curious if there is any option to add a 2nd GTX 970 ever?

(config# 1390323)
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:14am
Unless they recently changed it, the motherboards in the Vanquish line can't sli.   The Asus board hss been the Z170 K.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 5:56am
Originally posted by BushMaster22

Nice sales job Snaike! That's pretty much what I was already thinking...buy a new pc. Thanks for the nudge...guys. Now, how to convince the wife? Oops

When I've spoken to "she who must be obeyed" about computers and other purchases outside the normal day-to-day activities, I find the shorter the honey-do list is, the better my chances.   
 Post Reply Post Reply