FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Newbie- Performance Issues

Post Date: 2015-10-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Burtimus the 4th View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Burtimus the 4th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Computer Newbie- Performance Issues
    Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:01pm
Hey guys, I've been having trouble running games well on rig for some time now... And recently, My computer has really been slowing down in terms of performance. I've been having trouble with this for a couple months now, and due in part to me being lazy I'm just now searching up answers for my problems.

I got my rig a little over a year ago, and here's its specs:

-I7 4930k 3.4ghz(Unlocked CPU) six core processor
-Asus Rampage IV extreme X79 motherboard
-16gb DDR3 2400 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro Ram
- 250gb samsung 840 EVO SSD
-1tB seagate hard drive
-NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780 3gb video card

So, the problem is, with most games I play, the frame rate will dip dramatically the moment a big event starts happening... A frame rate dip is to be expected in these events, but I wouldn't expect something so dramatic( from 80 FPS-15 fps). Especially from a rig with components like these. I'm a newbie in terms of tech, and I really want to start using my computer to play more games. However, I get frustrated when my games aren't performing the way I KNOW they can with components like those. I've messed with graphical settings and turned them to low, but the frame rate issue persists. If anyone has any helpful advice to send my way, or point me in a direction that I can get info on these problems, I'd be very grateful!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:20pm
It could be background tasks taking over some resources from time to time. You will want to go into your Task Manager and see what tasks are active. You may want to close some of them. To keep them from reappearing again in the future, you will want to go to the Start-up tab in the Task Manager. You can also look at services running by going to System Configuration.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 6:32pm
first of all, clean up your pc and internet cache (CC Cleaner), disable unnecessary startup programs/apps, and limit all background programs running when your playing. 

you can use the command prompt to check/fix system errors by typing cmd into the search box, right click the app and run as admin.  once there type, sfc /scannow and hit enter.  it will take a several minutes to check/fix system errors if there are any. 

now, if it's a hardware upgrade issue, please run a cpu and gpu monitoring program (task manager can do for cpu) while playing in the scenarios you described having the issues with.  if you see your cpu with a consistent 70%+load and your gpu with a much lower load that means you are cpu bottlenecked and need a cpu upgrade.  if you are seeing your gpu at/near full load you need a gpu upgrade.  overclocking the cpu can give you some headroom as well, so that your gpu isn't waiting on your cpu to issue commands. 

it seems to me you're really experiencing problems in multi-player.  it's kind of odd with your additional cores/threads that you would be experiencing that kind of drastic slow down in performance, especially in cpu-bound situations like multi-player typically presents.  a lot of the performance problems in the situations you describe are server side and game side, meaning it's got nothing to do with your hardware.  still, i suspect that your gpu is the bottleneck. 

what resolution and how many monitors are you gaming on?  what refresh rate?  are you running with V-sync on?  what games?  did you always have these issues, if not it could be a patch or driver issue.     

Quote Burtimus the 4th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 9:07pm
1 monitor, 1920x 1080, HDMI chord
144hz refresh rate, 1ms response time
I don't mess with settings outside of setting them to high-ultra, so if V sync is on in these presets then yes I do have v sync on.
I run alot of games. The ones I notice the problem the most on are: League of Legends, World of Warcraft, Skyrim, Oblivion, and even the first Witcher game. fairly outdated games.
I didn't have the problems when I first got the PC but I've noticed them slowly creeping up.

The CPU load is at does not get over 20% during the scenarios.

Edited by Burtimus the 4th - 01 Oct 2015 at 9:14pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 10:47pm
If this were a new machine, I would venture a guess at the monitor being plugged into the mobo rather than the gpu... but to have this develop over time?

Do you clean the machine, physically and electronically?

Quote Burtimus the 4th Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2015 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Snaike

If this were a new machine, I would venture a guess at the monitor being plugged into the mobo rather than the gpu... but to have this develop over time?

Do you clean the machine, physically and electronically?

I do clean it physically, And I do regular disc cleanups/ defrags.

I'm not sure about the monitor being plugged in to the right place, I'm using a HDMI, I'm not sure if it makes a difference...
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 12:57am
If I've learned anything here it's that SSDs never get defragged... never.

Use CCleaner to rid the machine of extraneous files, empty the caches, etc.

Your HDMI should be plugged into the card below the exhaust fan, not next to it.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:07am
It's not that you should never defrag an SSD, it's just that the gains are not really worth it. The issue was in early SSD's, the number of writes and modifies you could do with the drive was limited and defrag really hit this hard with regular operation. The gains were much less on an SSD because random read and write, compared to sequential reads and writes, are nowhere near as bad as on hard drives. You could see a small boost from doing a defrag as you are combining fragmented bits of information into larger sequential files, as SSDs sequential read and write are still better than random. But don't expect to see big improvements as you would with hard drives, and definitely don't do it on a regular basis (even though lifespan on the drives has improved with better controller logic).
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:14am
From http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html?page=2

Originally posted by PCWorld

From my limited tests, I’m firmly convinced that the tiny difference that even the best SSD defragger makes is not worth reducing the life span of your SSD. Add another voice to the chorus that’s singing “Don’t defrag your SSD.”

Edited by Snaike - 02 Oct 2015 at 1:15am
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 1:21am
Yep, as I said, it's not that you can't, but the benefits aren't really there.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2015 at 2:20am
Like Snaike suggested, make sure you're plugged in to correct port.   Most motherboards have an hdmi port nestled near the usb and audio connections. Thats not what you want.   Drop down to below rear fan to video card. There might be plastic caps covering the ports.

Check cpu and video card temps under load.   HWMonitor is goid to use.   Temps in the 70's, even low 80's, is ok. Processors throttle back when they get too hot.   

Let us know.
 Post Reply Post Reply