Post Date: 2010-12-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Perdika View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Perdika Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Config Advice - 474326
    Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 12:10pm
Hello Folks.  I am hoping you can offer me some sage advice on the build I propose below.  The following is the general overall information as per the format.  Following this I have some specific questions I hope you will be patient with. I did review extensively the information in the forums and did do some independent research.  Please forgive me if my questions have been asked before.

Budget - about $4000 - all in including shipping, duty, taxes (Canadian eh).
Expectations - flexibility, however will probably stay with 1920 x 1200 resolution. Have a 5.1 surround sound systems.
Usage -   Looking for gaming 70%, itunes, miscellaneous use...
Special Needs - I like the idea of a quiet computer but need to have a reasonable cost benefit.

Specific Questions
1. Chassis - I think I like this chassis (Black Ops Assassin) - it looks like it is a decent solution for space (20" high), cooling and expandability.  Am I missing any opportunities in the context of the above or what I may not know ?

2. Motherboard - I read Dragonseal's comments about MBO gimmickry.  So I am assuming that the selection I have made is not particularly constraining.  Is the MBO a reasonable selection - any others that I should consider ?

3. Video Card - I can't believe how much I have vacillated on this subject. I did read how for some situations that a single GPU with the same memory can out perform two in SLI.  It seemed to me that the 2 x GTX 460s SLI seemed to be a good value.  Here are the choices I considered:

2 X GTX 460 SLI (Base)
1 x HD 5870 2GB ($-24 - accounting for 1 less GPU cooler)
1 X HD 5970 (+$120 - accounting for 1 less GPU cooler)
1 X GTX 580 (+$70 - accounting for 1 less GPU cooler)
2 X HD 6950  (+$270)

Some Random Thoughts
-next step of 1.5 GB in SLI +$500
-nvidia seem to have a better reputation for stability and drivers
-GPUs run hot, particularly nvidia, so GPU cooling is good and makes the system quieter
-the GTX 580 seems to be maybe a worthy upgrade; I was concerned with heat and power consumption, but maybe this is not a concern with liquid cooling ?
-if I am not going multiple monitors maybe the GTX580 is better than the GTX 460 SLI allowing for a modest price increase and assuming liquid cooling for both
-the HD 5970 is a great card, but its expensive and can be erratic compared to 1.5 and 2 GB single cards in some situations
HELP!

4. Power Supply - would just like to confirm that 1000W is adequate for the SLI cards.  I am also assuming that the stage 6 cooling, CPU and GPU, to reduce the main PSU requirements. The TEC (?) system for the CPU has a separate power supply so does that take demand off of the main PSU ?

5. Killer 2100 - I play on-line games including Warcraft.  For Warcraft my current latency is about 150 ms with a cable modem. What in general can I expect from this card ?  Its a bit of an experiment for me.

6. Chassis Air Flow - Since I am selecting liquid cooling I wasn't sure whether some of these options were compatible or relevant.  Are there any options I should consider here in pursuit of a quieter machine or for other benefits ?

7. Enhancements - considering my configuration, why would I want any of these ? 

8. Chassis Mods - I am assuming these are not really that applicable for my configuration ?

9. Noise Reduction - For my configuration with liquid cooling will these make a difference ? Will investments here yield a significant difference for my configuration ?

I appreciate any advice and help you can provide.  Sincerely, Perdika.Big%20Smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 2:53pm
1. there are better cases.

2. not sure what mobo or gimmick you are talking about.

3. rule number one in graphic cards is, always use a single gpu solution whenever possible. sli 460 = bad idea for your res. I will tell you what you want in your o there newer thread.

4. 1000w corsair will do sli nicely for your and the 1200w corsair will do tri sli easily for you.

5. Killer 2100 = waste of money.

6. I don't see your config so I'm not sure what cooling you have chosen but for what you want to do, LC is not for you, cause if you want to add another gpu down the road, do you know how to do that yourself with a LC system? if you want quiet then you need to change the fans on the LC system, which will cost more, but you need to remember that 90% of your noise will come from the gpu's fans when under load.

8. no mods yes.

9. trap noise, trap heat.

Please respond to all of these and ohter questions here where you made a new thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply