FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuration advice please?

Post Date: 2015-09-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pattycakes View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pattycakes Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration advice please?
    Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 4:26pm
Hi All,
After 5 years, my gaming computer (Alienware Aurora R4) has died.  In the past I always had help in picking out a new system, but this time I'm on my own.  I don't know a lot about hardware, so I would like some advice about what to get.

Budget:  I'd like to stay under $2500, if possible.
Usage:  I play Wow, GW2, D3.  This computer will be used solely for gaming on a daily basis, and I'd like to play with the best graphics I can.
Concern:  Heat.  The room that I game in is a small bedroom that's been converted to an office.  The room has a ceiling fan, but it's always the warmest room in the house. Probably because there are generally one or two other computers running and sometimes a flat-screen TV on.
Urgency:  None.  I have a laptop that I can game on, for the time being.

Thanks for the help,
Patty

I've tried to post the link to my configuration (id=1259730) 3 times now, but I keep getting an error message from the forum, indicating that I can't post a link due to possibility of spam.  So I guess I'll type it out:

Digital Storm Apollo

Chassis Model - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Finish - Standard Factory Finish
Processor - Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz (Codename Skylake)(Unclocked CPU)(Quad Core)
Motherboard - GIGABYTE Z170xp-SLI (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory - 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply - 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Optical Drive - DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage set 1 - 1x SSD (350GB Samsung 850 EVO)
Storage set 2 - 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Internet Access - High Speed Network Port
Graphics Card - 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB
Sound Care - Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling - H2O: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme Performance Edition)
Internal Lightining - Remote Controlled LED Lighting System
Chassis Fans - Standard Factory Chassis Fans
CPU Boost - Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHZ to 4.4GHz
OS - Windows 10 Home

Edited by pattycakes - 08 Sep 2015 at 4:28pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 8:11pm
so this looks like the level 2 Apollo.  imo, if you're only gaming at 1080p you can drop down to a GTX 970 and be very happy.  if you want the option to go up to 1440p w/all the bling turned on at some point spend a little more and go up to the GTX 980ti.  the GTX 980ti made both the Titan X and the GTX 980 irrelevant at these two resolutions.  you can get both a higher capacity ssd (500GB Samsung Evo) and a GTX 980ti and still be under your $2.5k budget.  if you want to save a little money you can drop down from the I7-6700K to the I5-6600K with little impact on your gaming. 

i budgeted for the strix version of the 980ti, together with the cpu water cooler you won't have much to worry about with heat.  you can add more/better case fans for minimal cost if you like.  if you have laptops that aren't melting then your ambient temps aren't that bad.Wink

Edited by db188 - 08 Sep 2015 at 8:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply