FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuration Advice

Post Date: 2012-06-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
finite View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote finite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuration Advice
    Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 10:37am
Budget:
trying to keep total cost, including shipping with wooden crate, under $4,000

Expectations:
high frames at high settings.

Usage:
hd1: Windows 7 (for videogames)
hd2: Linux (for college stuff)
hd3: Storage because ssd is exspensive

videogames: HoN, Dota2, WoW, Borderlands, future mmo's and games

Special Needs:
Im trying to build a Enix similar to the gallery, except as a blue version instead of red. Also one question is the gtx680 4gb listed here the evga FTW edition? some of the more info tabs are hard to figure out what product it actually is.

Saved Ticket #: 699574

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Enix Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: Paint Chassis Vents and Grills (Blue)
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-M PRO (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Precise Digital Power Design)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W SliverStone Strider Gold (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (ST1000-G)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F240GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Player/DVD Writer (Play Blu-Ray and Burn DVDs) (Slim Slot Loading Edition)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 11:24am
Hi finite.....Welcome to the forums. 

That is a good build but I would make suggestions.

The Enix case I'm sure is popular and you do seem to be locked onto it, which is fine, but it is cramped, the airflow isn't as good as other cases and it can be very noisy even without the performance fan package you picked.  On the plus side, the newer cards like the gtx680 exhaust most of their heat out the back of the card and out of the case which helps alot in case cooling.

Here's a link to a very well done review of the Enix, just to give you the most info.  

The ram speed I would drop to 1600Mhz.  The faster 2133Mhz speed you'll never see any gains  in gaming and the higher speed is more unstable with overclocking.

Not sure if the Enix case can fit a 240mm rad, but if it can, the stage 3 , 120mm rad cooler I would upgrade to stage 4 for its better parts and larger 240mm rad.  Or , drop to the stage 2, 240mm unit for the larger radiator, no maintenance  and cheaper.  If you go to stage 2 then the H2O tubing and UV lighting wouldn't apply.

The gtx 680 is a great card.  Without knowing the monitor size or resolution it's impossible to say if it will meet your needs for high frames at high settings.  For a 23/24" monitor at 1920x1080, the single 680 will play most games on high.  Ultra settings would be a problem with games like Crysis warhead and Metro2033 for example and stay above 60fps.

If you have no need for sli in the future then the 750HX psu would do it and save you $100. 

Hope this helps and good luck.Big%20SmileBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 16 Jun 2012 at 11:39am
finite View Drop Down

Quote finite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 10:24am
After reading your reply along with some of your other posts on other configuration topics I have decided to look into the dreadnought instead. (Thanks ) In the long run I will probably end up upgrading some of the internals and the dreadnought case vs's the Enix case should be much easier for someone who is new'ish to computer building to work around.

This case will also easily allow for the 240mm rad that you suggested. One question what is the difference between the stage 2 radiator and the stage 4 radiator, Often in posts I see mentions of no maintenance for the "closed system" radiators. What maintenance does say the stage 4 LC require and how often?

I will probably be posting a new setup on here shortly, with the larger case I plan to look into possible dual gtx 680's which should help with the graphical issues you alluded to.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 10:41am
The HafX really is a better case, with lots more expansion and easier to work on, plus with 2 or 3 video cards, this thing will handle it no problem.

The stage 2, 240mm rad is pretty much a Corsair H100 if you want to google it and see what's up with it.  It is a sealed unit, meaning no seperate reservoir, seperate pump etc.  If something goes wrong then the entire unit gets replaced, unlike the stage 4, where the individual parts are replaceable.

The stage 4 is a water cooled unit with seperate reservoir, pump and water block.  The maintenance, if all goes well, is just topping off fluids every year or so.   Not bad at all, just some don't want to worry about it. 

Just to confuse you some moreBig%20Smile  if you do go with the HafX case, I would go with the Noctua D14 air cooler.  It is very reliable with not much to go wrong.  Not sure if Enix could take the D14, so didn't mention it before.  Stage 4 is a real nice cooler though and gives one a good taste of water cooling. 

Another thought would be to go with the gtx670's.  They are $250 a card cheaper and are within 5-10% of the 680's performance.  For $500 + cheaper than sli 680, with a sli 670 and a 24" monitor you'll max out anything out there right now.

Edited by bprat22 - 17 Jun 2012 at 10:58am
finite View Drop Down

Quote finite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 2:20pm
finally made the jump, after making dozens of configurations reading hundreds of posts and waiting multiple paychecks, The order is placed.

Ended up going with the HafX case and also ended up way over budget but is that not the idea of a budget anyway

Configuration Number: 699951

Now begins the wait

Thanks for the replies and Thanks to the people who post often, I read many replies to configurations that were not mine that helped just as much with my end build
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 2:39pm
Congrats.         What?    No free t- shirt.
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:54pm
Cool Yes have to get the free T-shirt its the most important part.Hahaha

Edited by Asangard - 17 Jun 2012 at 5:55pm
All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

finite View Drop Down

Quote finite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 5:56pm
luckily that was only a mistake I made on the configuration, double checked my order and I will be recieving my free t-shirt.
 Post Reply Post Reply