FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Configuring a Bolt X

Post Date: 2018-05-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TPiatek View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TPiatek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Configuring a Bolt X
    Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:49pm
Budget:
Flexible, but would prefer $2000-2400 total.

Expectations:
Nothing out of the ordinary. VR down the road. Upgradability is a must.

Usage:
Gaming, machine learning (TensorFlow), transcoding (HEVC), and image-upscaling (Waifu2x, SRCNN, etc.).

Saved Ticket #:

1940022 (my "realistic" build)
1940029 (my dream build, price no object)

Specifications:
[Please Type Here]

#1 - The 1070 Ti here is around $700. If I get "none" and buy my own to install, I save 200-250 at the moment. BUT I'm fairly sure that if I don't get a video card, I can't order custom water cooling for the CPU and GPU... Correct me if I'm wrong?

#2 - I wanted the Ryzen 2700X, but I'm currently using a still-adequate i5-760. Even the puniest Ryzen 3 curb-stomps that, and saves another 250+. My current plan is to "just get by" with a lesser Ryzen until the Zen 2 CPUs are released in 2019. But again, if I do this, will this cause problems with a custom cooling loop? This seems less problematic than #1.

#3 - I'm not opposed to saving money out the gate by getting an all air-cooled machine, even though I'd prefer water cooled. Would I be able to add a custom loop to the Bolt on my own? If it's not possible, for whatever reason, does Digital Storm offer upgrade purchases? Could I ship the machine back to have them install new parts, iow?

#4 - Finally, does the Bolt X have decent thermals air cooled? Could I get by with just the CPU AIO cooler? I haven't seen any reviews posting thermals for CPU or GPU. If a 1070 Ti doesn't throttle on air, I'm comfortable getting an AIO for just the CPU. If it throttles, I want to plan on either getting water cooling, or upgrading to it.

Any help and suggestions you folks have would be appreciated!

-Tim
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2018 at 5:03am
I’ll answer what I can...   haven’t heard of any throttling issues with video cards in the Bolt X on air.   It does have a good thermal design.

Custom water won’t fit in the Bolt. Just no room for separate reservoir, pump, etc.   the closest you can come, is the Pro Lite , which is the Swiftech x220/240 unit.   It’s an AIO with the ability to break the loop for adding in a video card.

If you swap out a cpu, assuming it’s compatible with mobo, you’d need to reinstall cpu water block and paste.    

DS does have an upgrade option, meaning you send them the unit and you pay for new parts.   I think labor is on them. No credit on older parts last I heard.

TPiatek View Drop Down

Quote TPiatek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2018 at 6:42am
I used italics for quotes - not elegant, but I haven't used a message board in so long, I don't remember how to properly quote :-P EDIT - Hah! Found the "quote" button... I'll get it right next time.

Custom water won’t fit in the Bolt. Just no room for separate reservoir, pump, etc.   the closest you can come, is the Pro Lite , which is the Swiftech x220/240 unit.   It’s an AIO with the ability to break the loop for adding in a video card.

OK, that's what I gathered - I saw the Swiftech units and figured it'd be possible, perhaps challenging, but possible to install myself.

If you swap out a cpu, assuming it’s compatible with mobo, you’d need to reinstall cpu water block and paste.      

Yeah, the Ryzen 2 CPUs should still be AM4 compatible, and work fine in the X470 mobo I'm looking at. I've installed air coolers before using thermal paste, never a water block, but I imagine it's much the same procedure. Should be doable!

DS does have an upgrade option, meaning you send them the unit and you pay for new parts.   I think labor is on them. No credit on older parts last I heard.

Awesome!

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by TPiatek - 27 May 2018 at 7:09am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:36am
My pleasure. Big%20Smile

Actually I shouldn't say you can't do custom water.  I'm sure if someone is loaded with ingenuity it can be done, just not  easy.    Hahaha

TPiatek View Drop Down

Quote TPiatek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2018 at 10:29am
Sounds about right - anything's possible with enough ingenuity!

This is the configuration I've settled on for now:     1940455
URL:     https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1940455

My purchase window is mid-July, so if the GTX 1180 shows up for MSRP (+/- $50 or so), I might end up with that...

Otherwise, I'll be happy with a 1070 Ti. Sounds like air-cooling for the GPU should be fine, and down the road, I should have options.

Now the hard part - waiting!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 May 2018 at 8:59pm
Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a video card in that config. It's supposed to be just above the Sound Card in the Multimedia block. Baffled where it went, but I didn't think you could get a 1070 Ti in a custom build for less than $1900!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:16am
He selected No thanks for video card. Click Change above the Multimedia for gpu selections.     Does look strange without card selected.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:45pm
Ohhh... I thought it would say that somewhere.

Looking back I see he went that way when he went away from the LC loops. Very smart, I must say.

@TPiatek: My opinion is your video card will be fine on air. I have the 1070, and in 5 months, it's never exceeded 60C. I think you did well and will enjoy your system and performance for a long while. Congrats!
TPiatek View Drop Down

Quote TPiatek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Cretae

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a video card in that config. It's supposed to be just above the Sound Card in the Multimedia block. Baffled where it went, but I didn't think you could get a 1070 Ti in a custom build for less than $1900!

Yeah, after saving 145 by "No thanks" for the video card, and avoiding the $530-ish upsell to the 1070 ti, I save almost $700. At the moment, I've seen 1080s for less than 500, and 1080 tis for less than 600 (though very little of the latter).

I'd LOVE to have DS install the card for me - one less hassle - but for 200 bucks or more, I can't justify it.
TPiatek View Drop Down

Quote TPiatek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2018 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Cretae

Ohhh... I thought it would say that somewhere.

Looking back I see he went that way when he went away from the LC loops. Very smart, I must say.

@TPiatek: My opinion is your video card will be fine on air. I have the 1070, and in 5 months, it's never exceeded 60C. I think you did well and will enjoy your system and performance for a long while. Congrats!

Sounds great! Some of the other SFF pcs I was looking at had problems along those lines, and that's really good to hear. As soon as I hear what's coming down the pipeline in July from NVidia, I'll pull the trigger one way or another.

Thanks everyone!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 12:56am
Our pleasure. come back and let us know what you got!
 Post Reply Post Reply