Post Date: 2017-12-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RedDog View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote RedDog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Console To PC
    Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 8:32pm
First time jumping into the world of PC gaming so have a ton of questions to ask. I am trying to get some advice before I even start to look at a build. I would like the ability to play games at the best settings, stream movies, music etc at the same time. I will be getting two 27" 2k screens. My budget is around $3500.

The internet is all over the place when it comes down to answering my question's so I hope you can help out.

Some Starting off question's I have, Ram: 16gb or 32gb? Speed matter? 2400, 3000, 3200?

To future proof 1080ti vs Titan? SLI? Half the internet thinks its on it's way out and the other say it's a must have.

I'm not sure If I want to branch into OC just as I know little about it and If I mess up. So will going with case fans and a radiator do the trick for cooling? In a Bolt case?

M2 vs SSD? Worth the extra cash? Looking to have one drive to make it easy for install etc. Have Plex server that holds all my music/movies.

i5  vs i7 vs i9..yet again people say i5 is all you need others say more cores = better etc.

Any help would be awesome, I'm doing a lot of shopping around but I keep coming back here. I like the idea of the Bolt X but does Slim come with any downsides? Heat etc?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 12:25am
Your first pc i suggest you go with regular case, you may endup working in there and you want some room, tho the x is pretty much a regular case almost.

Ram amount depends on your use, for a gammer 16gb is more than enough. For a power user like me with virtual machines 64gb is not enough.

3000mhz is the sweet spot for ram speed.

There is no such thing as future proof when we are talking gpu. The only real way to future proof is to get exactly what you need now and put the rest of your money aside for a gpu upgrade in 2 years.

Also sli has issues, when it comes to gaming always go with single solution card instead of sli whenever possible to skip sli issues such as scaling (depending on the game).

Simply look back at 980 ti and tell me if you rather own sli 980 ti or sli 1080 ti (assuming you need sli 1080 ti) right now.

Let me show you, now even tho sli does not double your fps,you get about 40 to 50% from second card, sli 980ti is no match for single 1080ti, just add 30 to 40fps to 980ti fps below and you see it is still lower than single 1080 ti

Now 980ti is two year old or so but it is no match for 1080ti, why mess with sli scaling issues and etc when you can get better fps from a single card.

So get what you need now and upgrade in 2 years or when your gpu is not cutting it, that normally is around 2 to 3 year mark, i don't care if got titan, mitan or bitan lol.

You do want to branch out to oc, you just need to stop the lies you tell yourself and instead go with the facts:

1. Ocing is not what it used to be as far as difficulty goes, i can teach your 12 year old cousin in 5 minutes.

2. A proper oc will have your cpu out last your system.

3. With today's intel turbo boost technology (automatic oc if you will) nowadays is so good that manual oc is not needed for gamers.

4. Always go with good cooling for cpu.

5. Enabling intel turbo boost or manual ic us so easy you can't mess it up, unless when people tell you to enter 1.2 you enter 4.5.

6. Here we assume you know nothing, so if we tell you that you can easily oc to a safe spot trust us, you can. If it was difficult like the old days i would be telling you to not mess with oc.

M.2 ssd comparing to sata ssd is apples and oranges, m. 2 speed is beyond sata ssd.

For os drive go 960 pro for best speed and more important reliability /quality.

Cpu is very easy, i5, i7, or i9? Simple, what is your use? Gaming just needs 4 good cores at 4.2ghz. As a power user 16 cores are not good enough for me.

Right now for gaming and good power the 8700k is the way to go, 6 solid performing cores, the turbo boost is fantastic on it, with highest core at 4.7, and lowest at 4.3ghz. Great temps with turbo.

Basically more cores = more multi task, core speed = just that, the speed of the pc.

Now don't think i get a 16 core and game and do many other stuff, it doesn't work like that, plus more cores = more heat = lower speed (low oc).

Those are just the facts, so instead of other's opinion, just Follow the facts ;)

The net is full of fakexperts, don't listen to everyone you see or even big sites on the net, only a handful of sites are credible, anandtech = good site. tom's = run the other way.

Don't get stuck on models here, think about the parts themselves, that is what is important.

Hope that helps ask as many questions as you want

Edited by DST4ME - 31 Dec 2017 at 1:06am
RedDog View Drop Down

Quote RedDog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 8:52am
Is it worth buying a large SSD and having everything saved on it? Or save some money go with a smaller for OS only and games on normal 7200 hd? I know it has no performance effect but thoughts on RGB? Just makes it more flashy?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 9:16am
I'm all for RGB lighting for eye candy.  Nothing wrong with a great looking rig.

Personal preference, but a single large SSD keeps everything at full speed, esp. some games, and eliminates having to select which drive to save or move files around alter.  Ideally...large SSD with HDD for cloning on a regular basis for backup.

Big%20Smile

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 9:35am
2 SSD 1 HDD here... the first smaller SSD will be the OS, etc... the 2 SSD will be for games. The HDD is for music, pics and other data storage space hogs.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 1:17pm
I will just chime in and say I agree with both, keep games and os on ssd
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Snaike

2 SSD 1 HDD here... the first smaller SSD will be the OS, etc... the 2 SSD will be for games. The HDD is for music, pics and other data storage space hogs.

+1   Big%20Smile
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 3:28pm
Agree. I got 1/2TB for OS and apps on a M.2. I'll import my games from my old rig on a WD black 1TB HDD, but I'm saving for a 1TB sata SSD to take over in a few months. Then I'll have Snaike's setup and be cool....
RedDog View Drop Down

Quote RedDog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:12pm
What about AMD. With all the news on Intel 30% loss makes me either want to wait or go AMD. Thoughts?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:41pm
Ya, don't go amd
 Post Reply Post Reply