FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPU temps reaching 90C

Post Date: 2015-05-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mzaq View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mzaq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU temps reaching 90C
    Posted: 02 May 2015 at 5:05pm
I purchased the level 3 Apollo a few months ago and I've been noticing that the CPU temps are reaching up to ~95C degrees. For some games it goes up to around 70C degrees however I didn't think too much of it since 70C isn't really bad. With GTA V the temperature is constantly reaching 90C and I know that isn't what's supposed to happen.

Idle temp is 43C-44C

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4960K 3.50GHz (OCed to 4.4GHz)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97
System Memory (8 GBs of ADATA 1866MHz and 8GBs of GSKILL 1866MHz)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB (ACX 2.0 Cooler)
Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the cooling or maybe an issue with the game. Any suggestions?

Edited by Mzaq - 03 May 2015 at 5:06pm
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 3:18am
Since other games are at about 70C the first thing I'd check is the filters and cleaning.

Also you can check the fluid level on the H2O cooler.

A visual check to make sure all the fans are running.. the fans on the graphics cards won't kick in til they reach 60C so they will be off until then.

Make sure you have the Nvidia 350.12 driver. It is optimized for GTA 5.

The idle temps and temps in 'normal' gaming are good so the stress is coming from playing GTA V and is probably exasperated by something else as mentioned above.

Edited by Pacesetter - 03 May 2015 at 3:18am
Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 5:38am
Does sound like your cpu cooler is either plugged with dust behind the fan, in the small spaces between the vanes, or fan not spinning.

Another thing to try is, keep open side panel and see if temps drop. If they do then your sli 970 mght be putting too much heat into the case and picked up by cpu cooler. This depends if your 970s are the single fan card that exits the heat out the back, or dual fan cards that dump heat into the case.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Pacesetter

Since other games are at about 70C the first thing I'd check is the filters and cleaning.

Also you can check the fluid level on the H2O cooler.

A visual check to make sure all the fans are running.. the fans on the graphics cards won't kick in til they reach 60C so they will be off until then.

The idle temps and temps in 'normal' gaming are good so the stress is coming from playing GTA V and is probably exasperated by something else as mentioned above.

I don't think theres a way to check fluid levels on closed loop coolers
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 6:06am

I thought the front of it had a 'bubble window' that showed the coolant.

In this case pinch the tubes and you can feel if there is coolant flowing.

Thanks for keeping me honest, Ark.

Vanquish II Ultimate.
Mzaq View Drop Down

Quote Mzaq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 10:58am
Originally posted by bprat22

Does sound like your cpu cooler is either plugged with dust behind the fan, in the small spaces between the vanes, or fan not spinning.

Another thing to try is, keep open side panel and see if temps drop. If they do then your sli 970 mght be putting too much heat into the case and picked up by cpu cooler. This depends if your 970s are the single fan card that exits the heat out the back, or dual fan cards that dump heat into the case.

The CPU cooler fan is spinning fine.

I opened the side panel and the CPU temps dropped about 10-15 degrees so the average temp was around 75C and the max was 80C. Still above normal gaming temps but better than before.

I can feel the tubes vibrating, but I'm not sure if that's just from the computer being on or from the actual liquid passing through.

I have the latest drivers and the CPU and Case fans are running. Without the sidepanel the CPU gets to 65C maximum (tested GW2 and modded Skyrim). GTAV gets to 75-80C.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 11:30am

I thought the front of it had a 'bubble window' that showed the coolant.

Thanks for keeping me honest, Ark.

Well the liquid cooler that is available for the Bolt 3 does
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 11:55am
The Corsair closed loop coolers do not have a way to see the coolant level. The Swiftech H220X cooler that has the reservoir and pump at the Radiator instead of at the CPU. There is a window that you can see the fluid level. This is the cooler used on the Bolt. You can also change the tubing on the Swiftech H220X. They will be available for all computers sometime in the future.

Frank

The h220x Swiftech Cooler:

Edited by FrankW - 03 May 2015 at 4:45pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 1:17pm
What fans do you have at the top of the case and are they blowing in? Do you have a cover or something else on top of the Apolo that might block the air.

Also, how hot is it in the area that you have the computer. Do you have the computer in a computer desk compartment?

Frank
Mzaq View Drop Down

Quote Mzaq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by FrankW

What fans do you have at the top of the case and are they blowing in? Do you have a cover or something else on top of the Apolo that might block the air.

Also, how hot is it in the area that you have the computer. Do you have the computer in a computer desk compartment?

Frank

There aren't any fans on the top of the case, just a vent. There are only the front and rear fans.

The computer is on the ground underneath a desk with nothing blocking any of the vents. The room gets hotter with the computer under load but other than that the room doesn't get that hot.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 4:50pm

Without the sidepanel the CPU gets to 65C maximum (tested GW2 and modded Skyrim). GTAV gets to 75-80C.

This suggests the fan filters are dirty. Pull the front case cover and clean that filter. There may also be a filter that slides out from the rear bottom of the case.

The case normally would have a 'positive pressure' air flow. (more air sucked in by the front fans than is released by the rear fan. Excess heat escapes through the vents.) When you remove the cover you create a neutral pressure. Since heat rises through the top vents air is drawn in from the open cover area and it is running cooler.

It is possible that the overclocking is affected by GTA 5. I notice when overclocking just a minor change can drive my temps way up.
A call to DS on Monday might be a good idea to see if this is the scenario.

Edited by Pacesetter - 03 May 2015 at 4:50pm
Vanquish II Ultimate.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 May 2015 at 5:00pm
Hi Mzag,

With the 120 level 2 CPU cooler you have a fan on each side of the radiator. Make sure both are running. Did you check for a dirty radiator like bprat22 suggested.

If everything is clean and you only have a problem with a single game it may just be that your 970s are producing a lot of heat with that game. If you have adjusted the 970 fan speeds to less than 100% then I would change that. According to your first post you have reference GPUs. Is that correct? Have you checked the temperatures of your GPUs? Maybe one is over heating.

Your easiest fix would be to add a couple fans at the top of the case and have them blow in. This will give your CPU Cooler a bunch of fresh air that should be cooler than the air in the case.

If you find the Rad/computer is dirty I would move the computer out from under the desk and off the floor. The floor is the worst place to set a computer. If your desk is enclosed on three sides then that could be your problem. As the computer heats up the exhausted air is trapped under the desk and soon you are cooling with warm/hot air. The longer it runs the hotter it gets.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 03 May 2015 at 5:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply