FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Creative Speakers Any good?

Post Date: 2016-01-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brightleafrise View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brightleafrise Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Creative Speakers Any good?
    Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 2:06pm
What's your experience with Creative Speakers? Are they very good sound quality or just OK? I'm looking for some inexpensive desktop speakers that sound pretty good but are under $50. Currently looking at the Creative A250. I am not expecting pro studio quality but just wondering what folks think. Any other desktop speakers under $50 sound really good?
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2016 at 8:39am
I have the Creative Gigaworks T-20 speakers, and they sound really good. Sound though is so subjective, but you might wish to give these a try.

http://us.creative.com/p/speakers/gigaworks-t20-series-ii

I did not pay that much for them, and these speakers are usually found on sale for around the price limit you mentioned.

It also seems that the main thing that would boost any speaker set or sound from your PC is either a solid sound card, or probably an external DAC/Amp combo like this:

https://www.jdslabs.com/store/#featured

I'm not an expert in any way, so someone else here may know more, but I think the onboard sound on the mother board is a good enough DAC, and you then would just need the AMP.

I personally have a sound card from creative (some fatality super ego series from about 5-6 years ago), and the speakers I linked above work great with it.
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2016 at 1:36am
yeah, i'd go with the Gigaworks from Creative over anything else.  desktop speakers are what they are.  true audiophiles steer clear of them, but are perfectly fine for the rest of us. 

for headphone setup i run that JDS Labs ODAC+SMSL sAp II amp straight from the mobo's onboard sound and it's really nice.  the ODAC is connected to the mobo via 3.5mm analog and to the amp via RCA cables and 3.5mm out to the phones.  both units are really small and lightweight (yet well constructed) and sit right in front of me on my desk. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 9:36am
Originally posted by db188

....for headphone setup i run that JDS Labs ODAC+SMSL sAp II amp straight from the mobo's onboard sound and it's really nice.  the ODAC is connected to the mobo via 3.5mm analog and to the amp via RCA cables and 3.5mm out to the phones.  both units are really small and lightweight (yet well constructed) and sit right in front of me on my desk. 

I'm glad you posted this. I've been toying with the idea of an external Dac/Amp combo for about 3 months now. Right now my existing equipment works and shows no signs of falling apart, so it is hard for a "frugal" person like myself to justify buying the combo.

I've read that the upgrade to win10 from win7 will cause driver issues with my creative sound card, so I was looking at options and the JDS models caught (and hold) my eye.

Thanks for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply