FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dan's New Rig

Post Date: 2010-09-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dmoretto1789 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dmoretto1789 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dan's New Rig
    Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 8:55am

Hey guys,
I am going to post my review of my new Digital Storm gaming rig. Firstly
I will post my order date and the time it took to get to me.
Sept. 3rd -- Order placed. Order goes to Stage 1
Sept. 7th -- Order goes from Stage 2 to Stage 4.
Sept. 8th -- Order moved to Stage 5.
Sept. 16th -- Order goes to Stage 6.
Sept. 17th -- Order goes to Stage 7 as well as being Shipped.
Sept. 22nd -- Order received and opened.
I will Secondly place my build and the cost of the rig and then proceed
to review the product along with adding some eye candy for everyone. Build:
Order Contents:

- Digital Storm Desktop 231065 Quantity: 1 $3,008.00

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X

Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish

Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)

System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series  (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)

Expansion Bay: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Drive Force Series CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT)

Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks

Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)

Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks

Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)

Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Video Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology)

Add-on Card: - No Thanks

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)

H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected

Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)

Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)

Enhancements: Touch  V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)

Graphics Boost: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability

Memory Boost: Memory Fan Kit Only (Does not include memory overclocking service)

OS Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)

Virus Protection: - No Thanks

Office: - No Thanks

Benchmarking: - No Thanks

Pre-Install Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card

Display: - No Thanks

Surge Shield: - No Thanks

Speakers: Logitech 2.1 System (Black Edition) (Model LS21) (Includes Subwoofer)

Keyboard: - No Thanks

Mouse: - No Thanks

External Storage: - No Thanks

Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)

Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Warranty: FREE PROMO: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 4 Year Limited Warranty

Sub-Total: $3,008.00

Tax: $0.00

S&H: 3-Day Air $369.41

Grand Total: $3,377.41e

I chose digital storm because i have been drooling over their computers for about 4 years now. I am going to try and keep it brief. As I am assuming most of you want to check out the pictures anyways. The only major thing that wasnt really a major issue at all was the fact that when i ordered the product i was then contacted later to be notified that i needed to change a processor because they were no longer using it. i had to choose one that was + 11$. Not a big deal. The real issues i had weren't really with Digital Storm at all it was with fedex. Their estimated delivery time would say a specific time and date. So they would say 4pm on the tracking and show up at my house at 11am. After their first failed attempt at delivery i decided to send it to a nearby fedex facility and pick it up myself. Looking at the monstrosity of a huge box of my computer i was in shock it was really that big and it almost didnt fit in my car. It was a tight squeeze. But the speakers i ordered along with the computer was what made me a little bit angry. They sent the speakers through the mail in its original packaging. On the inside of the box there was minimal protection for the speakers inside and the box itself was horridly beaten. I was a little surpized that you guys didnt really throw it in another box with a little bit of padding. The box looks like it went through a war. The speakers were fine though. Setting everything up was a breeze and the computer booted very fast. I quickly installed starcraft 2 to test out just how awesome this thing was. All settings on ultra the FPS was amazing. never saw a hint of hickup at all. I was blown away. I was using a laptop that could barely run starcraft 2 on low detail. I have been working to transition all my programs over to the new rig but it could take a couple weeks. Lots of data needs to be moved and lots of programs to be re downloaded and installed. I have to say this is the best computer i have ever had and the clean and neatness of the internal components was great. I would be scared to ever try and upgrade anything because i know i could never get it to look like anything you guys made. One other thing i noticed was that the "fan controller" Only tells me the speed of the fans and will not allow me to change their speed whatsoever. This was a little disappointing. I can however see the temp of the internal components which has never gone over 40 COverall a couple of little things along the way, werent overly major. For the price i paid for shipping the computer itself was shipped amazingly but the speakers were not. They work though thats all that matters...Picture time?

Edited by dmoretto1789 - 28 Sep 2010 at 6:02pm
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote al3xLJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 9:12am
nice!
don't really agree with your graphics card choice, but they are still good regardless!
rock on Awesome
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 9:17am

lol i dont know why not, sli 470s are strong as crap

looks sweet, enjoy!Strong

justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 9:31am

The fan controller should be able to adjust the fans? some are just harder to adjust.

And 2 GTX 470's is a great choice on GPU's Strong
dmoretto1789 View Drop Down

Quote dmoretto1789 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 9:42am
The fan controller doesn't really do anything to be honest. I am not sure if they have to be configured in a certain way to use them but they give the fan speeds to but add or reduce the fan speed you only select the fan number and hit + or - and they dont move at all when doing this. Not a big deal, i like the temps being displayed though. And as for the video cards I believe i was going with a suggestion from the digital storm crew. I am not used to the all the new hardware components coming out and wasn't sure what to go with. Either way the rig is way better than what i was previously using.  
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote al3xLJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 11:20am
@ ender, it's just that i had a sh!tload of issues with them on my friends comp lol, but i agree, two 470s is a hell lot of muscle Big%20Smile
dblecircle View Drop Down

Quote dblecircle Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 11:46am
Well at least the fan controller looks cooler than the pics on the DS website.  I thought it looked pretty lame, but it's cool when its lit up.

980x @ 3.9, SLI Dual 480s, 120 gig SSD, X-fi Champion, 1200w, 800d, 12 gigs RAM, RTS + CS5 Fun O Fun Oh My!
AmbientChong11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote AmbientChong11 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 2:21pm
Great system !! Like the Aerocool. I have the 2000 one and although I don't adjust the temps, it looks nice.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 2:32pm
Aww man. They're still mostly useless and too expensive, but that particular Aerocool looks soooo awesoooome.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
 Post Reply Post Reply