FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Daylight Savings???

Post Date: 2018-03-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Should Daylight Savings Be Eradicated?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [91.67%]
1 [8.33%]

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Daylight Savings???
    Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 6:01pm
As the unbiased poll asks, what do you think is the best option?
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:01pm
Two points...

1) People like myself, who are employed overnight, really hate DST for reasons other than sleep. Most of out work depends on a schedule and tonight's schedule is already in the dumper due to the fact that after 0159pst we get to 0300pdt. That kind of messes with everything we have scheduled for the 2 o'clock hour.

Point 2) Apologies for being a little pedantic and obsessive over this, but it is "Daylight SAVING Time". Not "Savings". (Just something else for me to complain about tonight.)

Thanks for the venting opportunity.

Edited by Snaike - 11 Mar 2018 at 12:07am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 3:03am
Keep the time the same all year.    What’s the point of changing the clocks. How is it saving daylight ?   You either have it in the morning or late afternoon. It’s not like we’re slowing the earth’s rotation.

Then the stupid Senator that actually increased the duration, his pathetic solution to the energy concerns.   Really ?   Reminds me of the other Senator that thought the web was a series of tubes.    It is nice to vent.

Oh well, I do think it will vanish over TIME.    
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 4:55am
Originally posted by Snaike

Point 2) Apologies for being a little pedantic and obsessive over this, but it is "Daylight SAVING Time". Not "Savings". (Just something else for me to complain about tonight.)

Your comment made me a bit curious, as I've always heard it both ways and never thought much about it.

Per both Merriam-Webster and Oxford "savings" is not incorrect, per se, but rather a variant of the word. However, "saving" is certainly the original U.S. construction, which can be seen in Chapter 7 of the Standard Time Act of 1918, which formally brought DST to the U.S. (copying Germany, basically Big%20Smile). So my guess is the extra "s" is a regional addition that's became prolific enough that even the dictionaries started to add it, but insofar as it appears in legal texts, it still doesn't have it.

More on topic, I voted "Yes." Smile

Edited by Tidgxor - 11 Mar 2018 at 4:56am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Originally posted by Snaike

Your comment made me a bit curious, as I've always heard it both ways and never thought much about it.

Per both Merriam-Webster and Oxford "savings" is not incorrect, per se, but rather a variant of the word. However, "saving" is certainly the original U.S. construction, which can be seen in Chapter 7 of the Standard Time Act of 1918, which formally brought DST to the U.S. (copying Germany, basically Big%20Smile). So my guess is the extra "s" is a regional addition that's became prolific enough that even the dictionaries started to add it, but insofar as it appears in legal texts, it still doesn't have it.

More on topic, I voted "Yes." Smile

What ?   LOL
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 8:58am

LOL @bprat22: check it out, Title 15 United States Code Sec. 261 (as amended) with enough "subject to's " and exceptions  to make you say "whaaaat?"Confused
 Big%20Smile

(no vote from me, the whole concept is kind of ridiculous IMHO)

Edited by hoserator - 11 Mar 2018 at 8:58am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 9:59am
Wattsa matta youse guys? Don't you like having sundown at 9:00 PM in the summer? Since I always had to be home by DARK when I was a kid, it was better than found money! (Then )

I unnerstand Tidgxor being anti... after all, the summer sun goes down for prolly an hour or two in Iceland!

But the resta youse? You rather waste that daylight on 4:30 in the morning? What good is that?

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Cretae

But the resta youse? You rather waste that daylight on 4:30 in the morning? What good is that?

LOL I'm a morning guy.    Big%20Smile
Asangard View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Asangard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:44am
I just wish they would leave the time the same year round weather that is Daylight time or normal time. Switching is just ridiculous IMHO. But what else you you expect from politicians.

All evil comes from within,
Not from Without,
Therefore, the 1st step on the Holy Warrior path,
Is to recognize thyself as thy 1st enemy.

Batman34 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Batman34 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 3:01pm
This is what I love about DS forum. It is not simply a discussion board for buying a PC but rather a platform for examining complex issues of the world today. A place where real intellectuals can congregate. To stress this point, I would not be surprised if Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates were frequent visitors.

Edited by Batman34 - 12 Mar 2018 at 3:11pm
"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me." - Batman Begins
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 1:11am
 They obviously use aliases to avoid undue influence but you can tell. LOL
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 7:28am
I believe the extension of Day Light Saving Time was part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 and was signed into effect by George W. Bush. The one thing to consider with this is that it should be everyone or no one. It would be silly for me in MA to drive to say NJ and pass through 3 different time zones because each state would or wouldn't be adhering to it. That would make no sense to me anyway. Some interesting (or non-interesting depending on your view - lol) factoids I dug up on Daylight Saving:

1784 - Benjamin Franklin is thought to have come up with the idea for daylight-saving time. In a whimsical letter to a French journal, he said that Parisians could save thousands of francs a years by waking up earlier during the summer because it would prevent them from having to buy so many candles to light the evening hours.

1918 - The U.S. first adopts daylight-saving time, in the same act that created standard time zones, in an effort to save energy during World War I. It didn't prove popular, and, as a result, it was repealed the following year.

1942 - President Franklin D. Roosevelt instituted "war-time," a year-round daylight-saving time to save energy during World War II. After the year-round shift ended in 1945, many states adopted their own summer time changes.

1966 - Congress established a national pattern for summer time changes with the Uniform Time Act. The act came in response from the transportation industry, which demanded consistency across time zones. The U.S. Department of Transportation now oversees time changes in the United States.

1973 - An oil embargo by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries led Congress to enact a test period of year-round daylight-saving time in 1974 and 1975. The test period was controversial; it ended after complaints that the dark winter mornings endangered children traveling to school. The U.S. returned to summer daylight-saving time in 1975.

1986 - The Federal law is amended to start daylight-saving time on the first Sunday in April, beginning in 1987. The ending date of daylight-saving time was never changed, and remained the last Sunday in October through 2006.

2005 - On August 8, President Bush signs the Energy Policy Act of 2005 into law. Part of the act will extend daylight-saving time starting in 2007, from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November.

2007 - Daylight-saving time begins on Sunday, March 11 and ends on Sunday, November 4.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:02am
Cool, Dax, thanks. Interesting the change in 2007 went back to endangering school children for longer.
 Post Reply Post Reply