Post Date: 2008-04-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: easy new hd?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 9:15pm
ok so i have a 320 seagate as my current DSO hd, i also happen to have an older 320g seagate that i used as my external drive on my old computer. I noticed a DECREASE in hd performance when i hooked up my 320 into my old dell as a second HD. (connects via usb 2)
my question is would i be better off just leaving it external (most system specs are in my sig) and connecting via usb or should i put it in as my secondary.

if you say install it in the case, whats the easiest way to do so? im not raiding or anything i just want a laundry bin to dump all my movies and stuff like that on, also something to xfer all my sensitive and install files to for when i reformat (which i do every few months)
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2008 at 11:46am
I'm confused. Is the old drive SATA, IDE, USB, or some combination?

What decreased in performance?

Edited by Bill the Cat - 19 Apr 2008 at 11:47am
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 9:09am

crap i didnt see that this had a response.

previously i had a dell with a 80gig hd, i bought (by itself) a 300gb seagate HD that i dropped into an 8 dollar external HD box, that connects via USB2 cable.
at one point (with my old computer) i cracked open the case and installed the drive inside as a slave. I noticed a massive decrease in data xfer rates, so i pulled it again and put it back in the external box.
now im wondering if that decrease was because of how old that computer was or if it is just generally faster to have a 2nd HD connect via USB instead of installing it on the inside.

hope this helps
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 1:44am

It all sounds a little strange. I believe USB 2.0 is much slower than SATA 3  (480 Mbs vs 3 Gbs). As a general rule, internal SATA drives ought to be faster than USB drives. The only thing I can imagine is if there was some kind of conflict with the other internal drive.

3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
 Post Reply Post Reply